Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Alps & Pyrenees Snow Thread 2015/16

J10

2 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Nice start to the day. Had about 10cm new snow in the village and 20cm on the top ( photos taken looking over Katschberg at Aineck mountain top restaurant aprox 2300m asl) Cloud ad mist rolled in later to spoil the day. Expecting some substantial snow as the week progresses. Freezing level still above 1000m but should fall by to much lower levels by the end of the week.

C

12400935_10153259845202536_1251723818767261333_n.jpg

12400868_10153259845192536_4787018095974108461_n.jpg

Lovely photos, Me jealous.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
1 minute ago, J10 said:

Lovely photos, Me jealous.

Julian was super this morning with sunny empty slopes. However, fog rolled in after lunch and ruined the day a bit. See you are getting more rain in your soggy part of the world at the moment, maybe some snow on the Cambrians soon ?

C

12469578_10153911831023628_6063926664566118255_o.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

Another day of heavy snow in Nendaz, it's been snowing pretty much since we landed on Thursday with the main event forecast to hit over Monday and Tuesday.

The tree lined pistes offer a welcome break, from the at times, almost white out conditions. 

20160110_135903_resized_1(1).jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
4 hours ago, carinthian said:

Nice start to the day. Had about 10cm new snow in the village and 20cm on the top ( photos taken looking over Katschberg at Aineck mountain top restaurant aprox 2300m asl) Cloud ad mist rolled in later to spoil the day. Expecting some substantial snow as the week progresses. Freezing level still above 1000m but should fall by to much lower levels by the end of the week.

C

1 hour ago, Norrona2015 said:

Another day of heavy snow in Nendaz, it's been snowing pretty much since we landed on Thursday with the main event forecast to hit over Monday and Tuesday.

The tree lined pistes offer a welcome break, from the at times, almost white out conditions. 

Great photos!! Thank you both.

Looking like an exciting week coming up for the Alps, with substantial snowfall possible and increasingly cold temps so even the very lowest pistes should be in great shape by next weekend. (If you're thinking of snapping up a last minute skiing/boarding holiday, setting off next weekend - could be a good move!!).

Here's the ARPEGE model's take on accumulated snowfall up to next Friday. Looking good for the Pyrenees too.

5692c2842af2f_ArpegeSnowAccumSun10toThur

And here's the 850 hPa temps by next weekend. Both models in agreement. Lovely to see the -10C isotherm is widespread across the Alps.

GFS 5692c2b1765f9_GFS12zforSun17Jan.thumb.pn ECM 5692c2bac71e2_ECM12zforSun17Jan.thumb.pn

• Like 3

Posted

A real soggy mess in the Southern Alps this morning. Rain, fog thaw and mild air flow. Temps of 15C overnight in Slovenia to the south of here and even parts of the Italian Alps showing 16C.  Hopefully the warm sector should be out of the way in 24 hours.

C

Posted

Another superb day in Nendaz, awoke to the heaviest snowfalls of the trip so far, -4*C at 2000 meters with whiteout conditions while most of the mountain higher up was forced to  close due to high winds and heavy snow. Pistes were noticeably quieter today which made for some awesome boarding, I think most people decided to have the day off.

Rapidly turning into the trip of a lifetime!

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, carinthian said:

A real soggy mess in the Southern Alps this morning. Rain, fog thaw and mild air flow. Temps of 15C overnight in Slovenia to the south of here and even parts of the Italian Alps showing 16C.  Hopefully the warm sector should be out of the way in 24 hours.

C

A wave now developing on the boundary of the warm Tm airmass to the SE of us and the colder Pm to the NW. Temps now falling with snowfall turning heavy will give us our best day of the season tomorrow with a fresh fall  of overnight snow and colder uppers into the region. Try and get some pictures tomorrow.

C

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, carinthian said:

A wave now developing on the boundary of the warm Tm airmass to the SE of us and the colder Pm to the NW. Temps now falling with snowfall turning heavy will give us our best day of the season tomorrow with a fresh fall  of overnight snow and colder uppers into the region. Try and get some pictures tomorrow.

C

This is a shot of the webcam just before nightfall . Coming down really hard presently with zero visibility and snow blowing off the roof which confirms colder air now taking over.

C

91.jpg

Posted

Looking at the Ski Club of GB website tonight, there are some staggering forecasts for snowfall in the next 9 days. I suspect most of it will fall this week. I'm keeping an eye on Les Arcs as I'm skiing their w/c Sat 23rd and this week's forecast is for 203cm at mid-mountain!! Temperature at the top lift station (3,199m) won't get above -20C by Friday. At those sorts of temperature you need to ski with all skin covered to avoid the danger of frostbite!

Weather          Next
         9 days
           Upper
        piste
          Lower
         piste

FranceArgentiere Heavy snow 336cm 300cm 40cm
FranceChamonix Heavy snow 306cm  300cm  18cm
FranceVallorcine Heavy snow 261cm  160cm  40cm
FranceFlaine Heavy snow 259cm  120cm  5cm
FranceSt Gervais Heavy snow 256cm  65cm 30cm

b

• Like 1

Posted
50 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Looking at the Ski Club of GB website tonight, there are some staggering forecasts for snowfall in the next 9 days. I suspect most of it will fall this week. I'm keeping an eye on Les Arcs as I'm skiing their w/c Sat 23rd and this week's forecast is for 203cm at mid-mountain!! Temperature at the top lift station (3,199m) won't get above -20C by Friday. At those sorts of temperature you need to ski with all skin covered to avoid the danger of frostbite!

Weather          Next
         9 days
           Upper
        piste
          Lower
         piste

FranceArgentiere Heavy snow 336cm 300cm 40cm
FranceChamonix Heavy snow 306cm  300cm  18cm
FranceVallorcine Heavy snow 261cm  160cm  40cm
FranceFlaine Heavy snow 259cm  120cm  5cm
FranceSt Gervais Heavy snow 256cm  65cm 30cm

b

I've fond memories of Les Arcs - perhaps I could squeeze in another visit this season. I'd be very interested in feedback on 1950, it's a fantastic looking resort! I'm sure I read that the company that designed Whistler had a hand in 1950.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Posted
42 minutes ago, Norrona2015 said:

I've fond memories of Les Arcs - perhaps I could squeeze in another visit this season. I'd be very interested in feedback on 1950, it's a fantastic looking resort! I'm sure I read that the company that designed Whistler had a hand in 1950.

Enjoy!

Wi-fi willing, I'll post some reports and photos during my trip there. :) I'm really looking forward to it; as you say, it looks a really nice resort - compact and tastfully done. The Canadian company behind the development is Intrawest. Hard to believe there was nothing but bare mountain there 11 years ago. And now look at it, with 11 shops and 12 restaurants & bars.

There's been heavy snow on and off there today, and judging by this evening's webcams the wind has got up and it's drifting around. Normally lots of people about, but looking like people are avoiding strolling around tonight!!

Sunday  569420c567441_Arc195009.30Sun11Jan.thumb   This evening 569420404be69_Arc1950VillageMon11Jan.thu569420486b83b_Arc1950Village2Mon11Jan.th

• Like 3

Posted
11 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

Wi-fi willing, I'll post some reports and photos during my trip there. :) I'm really looking forward to it; as you say, it looks a really nice resort - compact and tastfully done. The Canadian company behind the development is Intrawest. Hard to believe there was nothing but bare mountain there 11 years ago. And now look at it, with 11 shops and 12 restaurants & bars.

There's been heavy snow on and off there today, and judging by this evening's webcams the wind has got up and it's drifting around. Normally lots of people about, but looking like people are avoiding strolling around tonight!!

Sunday  569420c567441_Arc195009.30Sun11Jan.thumb   This evening 569420404be69_Arc1950VillageMon11Jan.thu569420486b83b_Arc1950Village2Mon11Jan.th

Thanks for the information and photos, 1950 looking picture perfect yesterday  evening. A very windy, snowy Nendaz again this morning with most of the uplift on hold or closed. Noticeably colder this morning with temperatures forecast to fall further as the week progresses. -20*C predicted midweek onwards for mid station while up top much much colder. Boarding in these extreme temperatures will be a new experience for me - can't wait.

I'll try and get some photos of the mid station today if the uplift begins, as yesterday was pretty spectacular - pity I left the phone in the apartment.

20160112_085039_resized.jpg

Haute Nendaz, 1400 mts asl this morning, Forecast is for a further 50cm of snow at mid station, 2365 mts asl today.

Edited by Norrona2015
  • Like 2

Posted

Morning all, 50cm of new snowfall.

12513493_10153916215843628_5540137031655962963_o.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
56 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Morning all, 50cm of new snowfall.

12513493_10153916215843628_5540137031655962963_o.jpg

Love these sort of days, fresh overnight deep snow, sunshine and snow showers. The best day of the season so far. The few Brits here this week are now going to enjoy the rest of the week . Snow, sunshine, ski-ing and beer, that my paradise. Get over here!

91.jpg

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 2

Posted

Some shots this morning of the wonderful snow scenes. I bet you would like to roll in that lot !

C

12487137_10153916452258628_5443788203218215441_o.jpg

12484815_10153916452213628_1556797169484330435_o.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Powder day in Nendaz once the uplift started.

Second photo shows conditions at 2365 mail. 

20160112_120543_resized.jpg

20160112_115140_resized.jpg

The pistes that are open are very quiet.....long may it continue :-)

Edited by Norrona2015
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
8 hours ago, carinthian said:

Some shots this morning of the wonderful snow scenes. I bet you would like to roll in that lot !

C

12487137_10153916452258628_5443788203218215441_o.jpg

12484815_10153916452213628_1556797169484330435_o.jpg

Hi mate, your in Austria aren't you ? 

We are off the zell em zee sat 23rd Jan , next sat , for a week , I no it's one of the lower resorts isn't it ? But do you happen to know the situation there at min ? I no europes going cold so don't see many probably , hoping the ukmo is right as it would ensure Europe's nice and cold , and snowy hopefully , any news welcome 

Posted
11 hours ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

We are off the zell em zee sat 23rd Jan , next sat , for a week , I no it's one of the lower resorts isn't it ? But do you happen to know the situation there at min ? I no europes going cold so don't see many probably , hoping the ukmo is right as it would ensure Europe's nice and cold , and snowy hopefully , any news welcome 

Hi SSIB. I'm not Carinthian - I'm sure he will respond later - but I thought you might like to see this wonderful webcam shot of Zell from across the lake taken at 09.00 this morning. Looking beautiful. :)

569606a9819f3_ZellamSeeWed13Jan.thumb.jp

http://www.zellamsee-kaprun.com/en/service/weather-webcams

• Like 2

Posted
12 hours ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

Hi SS, I know this area well and Zell am Zee is beautiful in the snow and the runs down are very well groomed and mostly tree lined. I think it better than the very popular nearby resort of Saalbach. Hope the present cold and snowy weather holds out for your visit later this month, I am sure you will enjoy what the resort has to offer.

C

• Like 1

Posted

Morning all, just super conditions. Sunshine starting the day but snow showers now forming. Love this weather -5c presently.

C

91 (2).jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Thanks guys . Can't wait . Shots . Snowboarding . And snow , what could possibly go wrong !?

• Like 1

Posted

I'll get the bad news out the way first. The avalanche risk in the Alps remains HIGH for anybody venturing off-piste. Today there has been avalanches in Tignes, Avoriaz and Les Deux Alpes. Osterreich wetter (Austria) also reporting avalanche risk and some minor incidences. Tragically a group of 9 school kids plus their teacher from Lyon High School were involved in the Les Deux Alpes avalanche that has left two 16 year old students dead and their teacher seriously injured. From the picture it looks like they had ventured off-piste. Investigations are underway, but if that was the case it beggars belief with all the current warnings in force. Whatever, it's very sad.

http://www.ledauphine.com/isere-sud/2016/01/13/les-deux-alpes-une-avalanche-aurait-fait-un-blesse-grave-et-plusieurs-disparus

5696bfc75d9cf_LesDeuxAlpsavalanche.thumb

The good news is the amount of snow falling in the Alps this week. I'd be surprised if there was any resort that didn't receive at least 25cm of snow by week end. Some lucky resorts in the west & north west of the Alps will see between 1 and 2 metres!! And then the icing on the cake - GFS and ECM are both forecasting it will turn bitterly cold in the Alps from this weekend and last through all of next week. If ever there was THE moment to grab a late week's booking and get over there this weekend, it's NOW!!

EDIT: Fri 15th. The following update on the avalanche at Les Deux Alpes was reported in the French press today:

The teacher that led ten students caught in a deadly avalanche in Les Deux Alpes (Isère) was placed in custody Thursday for manslaughter after the tragic recklessness that led his group on a closed black run. On Wednesday, a group of students is carried away by an avalanche triggered at 2800 meters altitude on the black track Bellecombes. Three victims died buried: two students a first class of Lyon and a Ukrainian skier of 57 years.

Edited by Blessed Weather
BBC News reporting that the party were on a run that had been closed for a month due to bad conditions.
  • Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Blessed Weather said:

I'll get the bad news out the way first. The avalanche risk in the Alps remains HIGH for anybody venturing off-piste. Today there has been avalanches in Tignes, Avoriaz and Les Deux Alpes. Osterreich wetter (Austria) also reporting avalanche risk and some minor incidences. Tragically a group of 9 school kids plus their teacher from Lyon High School were involved in the Les Deux Alpes avalanche that has left two 16 year old students dead and their teacher seriously injured. From the picture it looks like they had ventured off-piste. Investigations are underway, but if that was the case it beggars belief with all the current warnings in force. Whatever, it's very sad.

http://www.ledauphine.com/isere-sud/2016/01/13/les-deux-alpes-une-avalanche-aurait-fait-un-blesse-grave-et-plusieurs-disparus

5696bfc75d9cf_LesDeuxAlpsavalanche.thumb

The good news is the amount of snow falling in the Alps this week. I'd be surprised if there was any resort that didn't receive at least 25cm of snow by week end. Some lucky resorts in the west & north west of the Alps will see between 1 and 2 metres!! And then the icing on the cake - GFS and ECM are both forecasting it will turn bitterly cold in the Alps from this weekend and last through all of next week. If ever there was THE moment to grab a late week's booking and get over there this weekend, it's NOW!!

Next week will be amazing. Low prices and empty slopes. Get over here, its wonderland at the moment.

C

• Like 1