Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 18z 31/10/15 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

http://www.myweather2.com/streamline/player.aspx?Streamline=2

A very good way to view the predicted fronts and disturbances and their tracks.like the NORTH SEA runner predicted

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Posted

I  don't think the upper temperatures are low enough for polar low formation in that arctic flow TH?

All models now showing some colder weather for the end of the weak, thats for sure. :)

'

I doubt a polar low can be modelled this far ahead but there was some suggestion previously that the ECM achieved it for the west coast. Temps at Z500 cold enough in a small puddle of -42C sliding down the North sea.

gfs-13-132_eay4.png

ECM ensembles for Reading.

epsgram_at_reading!epsgram.gif

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

http://www.myweather2.com/streamline/player.aspx?Streamline=2

A very good way to view the predicted fronts and disturbances and their tracks.like the NORTH SEA runner predicted

Fantastic find this

i do like the upper air temps maps as it shows the overlay of upper air temps over the lower ones :)

http://www.myweather2.com/rh850temp/player.aspx?fc=2

• Like 1

Posted

I doubt a polar low can be modelled this far ahead but there was some suggestion previously that the ECM achieved it for the west coast. Temps at Z500 cold enough in a small puddle of -42C sliding down the North sea.

gfs-13-132_eay4.png

ECM ensembles for Reading.

epsgram_at_reading!epsgram.gif

Agreed, too far out,and yes those temperatures could be condsive to PL formation.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Interesting 18z so far.  Seems a slower evolution to what was seen earlier.  Whilst we are left waiting a bit longer, the uppers coming in from the north are an upgrade to the 12z (12z on the bottom)

gfsnh-1-144.png?18

gfsnh-1-150.png?12

Edited by Ice Day
  • Like 1

Posted

Looked at the GEFS anomalies earlier and the ecm is also goimg for a pattern change early nest week. The anomally on Sunday certainly confirms the cold northerly plunge with strong ridging to the west into Greenland and the trough Scandinavia down through Europe into N. Africa. Certainly some cold wintry conditions. But it would appear to be  brief at this stage. By Tuesday the pattern has become less amplified with the ridge now orientated just to the west of the UK backing the streamlines NW resulting a more average temps.

By the Saturday 28th still a weak trough Europe and another Iceland area with HP away to the SW giving a zonal westerly flow and average temps. And I also notice the HP GOA is replaced by a trough and also another trough NE Canada by the end of the ext period.

I think any further comments from me on the weekend would be somewhat superfluous.

post-12275-0-10026800-1447626066_thumb.p

post-12275-0-14091100-1447626072_thumb.p

Edited by knocker
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Siberian ridge looking stronger on this run

So is the BI one,poss Scandi do you thInk BA?,again,but much earlier than the 12z which was out in la la land.

just for fun,look north

post-16960-0-24673400-1447628399_thumb.p

atlantic ridge biulding again.

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

ECM London ensemles

A small scattering of colder runs in there.

ensemble-tt6-london.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

12z or 18z?   for me 18 z....Looking good all round basically.   Now to put spanner in works I'm looking at Dec and will do an LRF next couple of days.  I'm erring on a very 'seasonal' month......with a few surprises....winter to be?   :cold:Here we go...let the games commence

This from 18Z looks good for me...I prefer to blocking scenario...not out of like but potential set up,,,and a guaranteed pattern change ahead for rest of Nov with stormy, wet colder and snowy for some to come.  

h850t850eu.png

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

ECM London ensemles

ensemble-tt6-london.gif

No surprise to see the 12z GFS on the mild end of the spread from the 24th around when it develops low pressure to the west and brings in a mild SWly flow.

A solid and assertive plunge to cold by the end of this week, with a good chance any recovery in temperatures after the weekend will be only slight and probably not rising nowhere near the mid teens like recent days but more like the seasonal norm.

Back to the 18z, band of snow moving south on Saturday, would even see a few flakes across the SE as it arrives after dark going by the parameters of the run, of course just too far off to say it will pan out anywhere near that.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Looks like the tropospheric vortex is going to split once again deeper into FI with a strat warming evident and just look at that Siberian high once again

gfsnh-0-324.png?0

npst30.png

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 5

Posted

Not much new on this morning's gfs but Sunday continues to hold out possibilities  for some snow further south, particularly in the east I would have thought but at this range too far away to venture into the definitive. Again this cold plunge is very short with the systems moving east quite quickly, obviously including the upper trough. After that the run very mobile and best left for more confirmation of the evolution.

charts weatherbell

post-12275-0-32761500-1447655561_thumb.p

post-12275-0-26406700-1447655570_thumb.p

Edited by knocker
  • Like 5

Posted

ECM London ensemles

ensemble-tt6-london.gif

From little acorns .........

the return to average clear but then the scatter is very large so it seems the extended ECM is deciding in which direction to head.

I noted the gfs 18z op trying to potentially undercut which would have generated a small wedge of higher heights to our nw. The GEM this morning also attempts the same thing. And ECM op this morning looks very uncertain around the 8/10 day period.

I wouldn't rule anything out at the moment.

Posted

Now firming up on a 2 day cold event, nothing too cold but a shock to the system after the unusually warm weather of late. What is more interesting is the slight stratospheric warming starting to show up - this is forecast as a possibility later in the winter by the METO not in November. This signal may disappear , however that and the broken NH PV Doesn't look your normal zonal type set up to me.

• Like 4

Posted

It has to be said there is no unanimity over the weekend's evolution. The ecm has a depression over Scotland 00 Sunday with the streamlines W/NW and 24hrs later the ridge nudging in.

post-12275-0-21769400-1447659939_thumb.p

post-12275-0-03588200-1447659945_thumb.p