Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere Temperature Watch 2015/2016

15 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

But I don't remember there being any cold at all in the run up until the SSW took hold, we know an SSW isn't a guarantee of frigid cold involving blocking but gives a better than even chance of it, Jan 87 the SSW was a week and a half after the bitter cold but if the SSW had never occurred to any extent and the polar 10mb temps would have stayed around average, theres no way that that bitter spell would have occurred so what I'm saying is the SSW doesn't knock you out of it, it just seems that way, that's my view anyway.

It depends on the type of SSW, since 1958 (reasonable upper air records)  a split vortex event results on average with the 40 day period after the central point (10hpa winds at 60•N reversal) in a 3k departure from average temperature across Eurasia (focuses on the NW) from a sample of 15/20 depending upon criteria for SSW split deferentiation, often lead by K2 wave energy focused solely over the Pacific side (not yet modelled..) whereas a displacement event lead also by k2 wave breaking but focuses equally on the Siberian and Pacific side often leads to near neutral temp anomalies in the 40 days after the event but 1-2k lower anomalies for the USA (east focus). In past years with cold anomalies the best bet is to look at anomalous tropical Pacific forcing.. One thing is for sure we are certainly moving into uncharted territory this year in both the Pacific and the strat...unfolding)... All eyes to the ECM!! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
First time post in here, hopefully I'm aloud to post this tweet from lastnight. No expert on the strat whatsoever so not sure whether what Todd is saying is a good thing or not for cold fans?
Great thread by the way, keep up the good work guys :)

Kids are raising hell downstairs and occasionally knocking on door, but ol' Grandpa StratPV is still snoring away

CYOuM7AUoAAeYwB.thumb.jpg.7bd35b88e5fe4f

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
2 hours ago, Minus 10 said:
First time post in here, hopefully I'm aloud to post this tweet from lastnight. No expert on the strat whatsoever so not sure whether what Todd is saying is a good thing or not for cold fans?
Great thread by the way, keep up the good work guys :)

Kids are raising hell downstairs and occasionally knocking on door, but ol' Grandpa StratPV is still snoring away

CYOuM7AUoAAeYwB.thumb.jpg.7bd35b88e5fe4f

Basically the bottom of the strat and trop PV are under heavy fire while the top of the strat is just a solid beast.

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, SN0WM4N said:

Basically the bottom of the strat and trop PV are under heavy fire while the top of the strat is just a solid beast.

on the plus side, thats the GFS strat chart at +120. the GFS (like all the models really) hasn't yet got a handle on the trop forecast. if we are still expecting a trop-led 'bottom up' warming, then the strat charts will be off the mark until they do. every other run or so, charts like this pop up in FI-

gfsnh-10-384-3.thumb.png.e5b377a97cf9522

next run there could  nothing but there have been better ones. point being, once (if!) the models settle into some agreement, we will know better where the strat vortex is going. until then i wouldnt worry too much.

Posted
On 8 January 2016 at 5:08 PM, feb1991blizzard said:

But I don't remember there being any cold at all in the run up until the SSW took hold, we know an SSW isn't a guarantee of frigid cold involving blocking but gives a better than even chance of it, Jan 87 the SSW was a week and a half after the bitter cold but if the SSW had never occurred to any extent and the polar 10mb temps would have stayed around average, theres no way that that bitter spell would have occurred so what I'm saying is the SSW doesn't knock you out of it, it just seems that way, that's my view anyway.

How do you know that cold spell wouldn't have occurred?  Its proven that we can have cold spells without the aid of the stratosphere, so you can't say with confidence that cold spell wouldn't have occurred.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
30 minutes ago, Nouska said:

GFS parallel being fairly consistent in last few runs.

18Z  gfsnh-10-384.png?18      00Z  gfsnh-10-360.png?0

And now the op has come to the party in spectacular fashion.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
4 hours ago, Weather-history said:

How do you know that cold spell wouldn't have occurred?  Its proven that we can have cold spells without the aid of the stratosphere, so you can't say with confidence that cold spell wouldn't have occurred.  

Lets throw it out there then, lets see what the experts think.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
6 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

And now the op has come to the party in spectacular fashion.

"Twitter talk" also excited about developments in the eps;

CYTuYy8WYAAbqWs.thumb.png.967e2ef84e8a49

• Like 2

Posted

Gaining

gfsnh-10-384.png?12

The little warming that could.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, IDO said:

Not going to argue with the Doctor:

Great news and I am pleased he used a chart from the 12z.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
18 minutes ago, karyo said:

Great news and I am pleased he used a chart from the 12z.

His next blog should be interesting as he also says support from ensembles and ecm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

@lorenzo

i posted these charts further up the page a couple of days ago showing a steady uptick on the 30-hpa temps

pole30_nh.gif.a2a91259b09ad3aadd5773b305pole30_nh.gif.afa3822261067f6a894ed77411

latest

pole30_nh.thumb.gif.4138310f6afc47b0c8d1

not much progress on the latest but this can change suddenly couldn't it?,

i did browse the 2012/13 strat archives to see how sudden these spikes can appear

form mid nov,you can see how cold the strat got then(below av) like we are experiencing now,

post-7292-0-58626100-1353624854.thumb.gi

more images of that winter

post-13544-0-14257800-1354568497.thumb.gpost-7292-0-47508200-1355578836_thumb.gipost-12721-0-13272300-1356293988_thumb.jpost-12721-0-86154000-1357848310.thumb.jpost-12721-0-10288000-1358774224_thumb.j

we had two minor warmings,then the biggy that delivered the goods in march,

i do not post in here much,as i do not understand much in this game,but things can and do happen suddenly(SSW)right:)

Edit:correct me if i am wrong,but shouldn't we be looking at the 10-hpa temps,a bit of a uptick there,too:)

pole10_nh.thumb.gif.a98858699916156cf69c

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 7

Posted

18z keeping the theme going.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

@Allseasons-si good work hunting around through the archives, there is some gold in past season's strat threads.

Here is a link you may enjoy - click through the temp charts there and go through the seasons.

http://acdb-ext.gsfc.nasa.gov/Data_services/met/ann_data.html

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Mike Ventrice has kindly displayed the T+360 EPS and GEFS 10hPa ensemble charts. Very promising and it wouldn't take much more to bring the vortex down. Obviously a long way off but we have to see the signal start somewhere.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
15 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

@Allseasons-si good work hunting around through the archives, there is some gold in past season's strat threads.

Here is a link you may enjoy - click through the temp charts there and go through the seasons.

http://acdb-ext.gsfc.nasa.gov/Data_services/met/ann_data.html

Thanks Lorenzo,i will have a look tomorrow now,as my head hurts lol

• Like 1

Posted

indeed. When looking at layers tho, its better to look at ozone mixing ratios. Here you can nicely see the surf zone.

ozonemixingratioisobaric.png

• Like 6

Posted

all the graphics that have my name on it, are my own. i am making my own graphics for quite a while now. :) Usually you can find it on my twitter.

u-componentofwindisobari.png

• Like 4