Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2015/16

reef

Posted

I vaguely remember seeing that picture- was that from the late-November 2010 spell that Phil NW just posted about?  I can just imagine being up in the Durham area wondering what those Cb cells will bring once they drift in from the North Sea...

Spot on TWS :)

Photo was taken on 29th November 2010,and that incoming CB delivered thundersnow when it reached me.

post-2839-0-16518200-1443822613_thumb.pn

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

I am waiting to see fog in October, always a good sign for the upcoming winter. Weather folklore states that the amount of foggy days/nights in October equals the amount of snowfalls in the winter.(or something close to that) I had none the past two years and no snow. :shok: Apparently it is as accurate as the OPI for predicting cold and snow. :good::D

• Like 3

Posted

I am waiting to see fog in October, always a good sign for the upcoming winter. Weather folklore states that the amount of foggy days/nights in October equals the amount of snowfalls in the winter.(or something close to that) I had none the past two years and no snow. :shok: Apparently it is as accurate as the OPI for predicting cold and snow. :good::D

ah, the October Fog Index. its foggy this morning so there's one in the bank! (fog bank..)

then when its wrong, O.F.I. means something else...😆

• Like 1

Posted

ah, the October Fog Index. its foggy this morning so there's one in the bank! (fog bank..)

then when its wrong, O.F.I. means something else...

LOL! Yes if it  all goes knockers north then it is known as the OFI or the OFUI. At least you are guaranteed one fog...................I mean fall of snow this winter so far. :good:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Surely there aren't enough days in October to cover all the snowfalls due this Winter coming?

• Like 1

Posted

Had fog today!!! One day of snow would be lush,more than we had last year!!
  • Like 2

Posted

Had fog today!!! One day of snow would be lush,more than we had last year!!

That's one early snowfall for you :yahoo:

Surely there aren't enough days in October to cover all the snowfalls due this Winter coming?

31 days plus of snow :shok: :shok: :shok:  Better buy a shovel. :help:

• Like 4

Posted

personally I would love a stormy wild winter,  but with rest bites, a bit like 2013/14 but maybe not the flooding that some endured,

however, i get the feeling it will be a more stagnant blocked midwinter , with more frost and snow that we have seen for the last few years, i suppose its the turn for the coldies now to have some of their stuff this winter        *begrudges* :whistling:   

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

As much as I found winter 2013-14 facinating and exciting, the continuous storms were maybe a bit too much for me? My ideal winter would be a couple deep Atlantic storms interspersed with a few days of February 1998-type weather (14-17C and sunshine), and the odd winter thunderstorm thrown in there too.

It was just the relentless rain of 13-14 which drove me to near despair! For 2 months there was hardly a day where I didn't get soaked walking to lectures. Vile winter that was. I would have taken a boring, mild southwesterly by February. It got to the point where I didn't care whether it was cold or not, I just wanted dry weather.

I'd be happy never to see a winter like that again.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 3

Posted

How about we get back to discussing what the title says please folks?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Another one for the fog bank - yesterday, Saturday 3rd dawned foggy.  The fog had begun to form around midnight.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

To suggest that 2013-2014 had a winter should be considered blasphemy. 

It is the first winter in my lifetime in which there was no lying snow.

Awful.

• Like 2

Posted

A strong El Niño if he isn't Modoki doesn't seem good for a cool winter. 

About the SST in N Atlantic i don't think that's have big impact for winter 

hiver_clip_image011.gif

a=NAO-

b=NAO+

anomnight.9.28.2015.gif

American east coast needs to be in negative anomaly.

My analysis suggests that both west based (modiki) and basin wide Nino's produce a 50% chance of AO values below -1 during Jan and Feb. East based produce +AO winters.

Since we are all but guaranteed to see basin wide Nino persist through the winter, there's some reason to hope.

Posted

Last winter was normal for snow here - a few days of lying snow, about 5-7cm deep at most. We're only at 80m ASL but that slight increase in elevation makes all the difference as go down a few metres and there was practically nothing.

I remember walking to the doctors one morning in January and it was snowing heavily - a few cm on the ground. Lasted on and off for much of the day. I have pictures somewhere.

I'd agree with that. I spent the winter in Armley and Dec-March produced at least shower events every month and also the two frontal events (Jan and whenever the other was).

Nothing exceptional but it was at least winter.

Edited by summer blizzard

Posted

Northerlies are great here, like the late November/early December 2010 one.

The caveat here is that it can't be straight (wishbone) unless there's a front involved (though fronts from northerlies rarely have significant totals).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Awful.

Yeah. Not a single day of lying snow at all. The first time ever. Truly shocking.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Awful.

11th Feb only day here, gone by midday mind you

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

I would just like to touch up on what John said here,and no disrespect to all you folk :D ,but i feel as though i am reading the winter threads from previous years here :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I would just like to touch up on what John said here,and no disrespect to all you folk :D ,but i feel as though i am reading the winter threads from previous years here :p

We're getting to that time of year again where self-appointed 'backseat' moderators start bossing everyone around.. it's going to be a long, long winter if this continues. I'll stop talking about winters in the past if admin have a problem with it but I'm not taking any notice of John Holmes or yourself. Cheers.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

2013/14 was as awful as 2014/15 for me. Last winter we had a 1 minute snow flurry which left the lightest of dustings, that was it for the entire winter. 13/14 had zilch.

The last two years have been shockingly bad for snowfall in my area, first time I've ever had a winter without laying snow, let alone 2 in a row

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

As interesting as it may be talking about previous winters, the clues in the title - Winter 2015/16... It would be great if more posts tied in with it! :)

I'm hoping for something much colder and snowier to dominate this year, with some powerful Atlantic storms thrown in for good measure. 

Edited by *Sub*Zero*
  • Like 3

Posted

It was just the relentless rain of 13-14 which drove me to near despair! For 2 months there was hardly a day where I didn't get soaked walking to lectures. Vile winter that was. I would have taken a boring, mild southwesterly by February. It got to the point where I didn't care whether it was cold or not, I just wanted dry weather.

I'd be happy never to see a winter like that again.

I'll probably seem like a nutter to some but I found that winter relatively exciting and certainly interesting from rain and wind point of view (and rivers levels, being into hydrology/geography and doing a dissertation on rivers.. just a shame we build on floodplains), and wish I was here in Devon to see some of the big storms we had.. I had been waiting ages to see/record such storms, the sea must have been spectacular at times.

Having said that I did get a bit fed up of the lack of cold/snow/frost, and my ideal winter would be one with plenty of cold/snowy spells after I have got my storm fix in late Autumn.

As for this winter, well I don't really know what will happen so can only talk about what my hopes might be (better/more potent cold spells)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

But surely talking about the upcoming winter and comparing previous is unavoidable unless you want a bland boring thread with such insightful comments as 'I want a brown leaf to fall from a tree on the 27th Nov', or 'cant wait to walk the dog in a frost on Dec 1st', surely that's the same as saying we shouldn't talk about or compare previous winters where SSW's have or haven't occurred in the strat thread and should only talk about the actual 10mb charts at the current time.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

We're getting to that time of year again where self-appointed 'backseat' moderators start bossing everyone around.. it's going to be a long, long winter if this continues. I'll stop talking about winters in the past if admin have a problem with it but I'm not taking any notice of John Holmes or yourself. Cheers.

It's also going to be a long winter if you keep up with this poor attitude.

Just to reiterate the previous opinions, let's keep this to winter 2015/16. I've been guilty of going off track too so apologies.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

I did state no disrespect to all you folk,and yes i do stress that it is going to be a long ride as it is always the case,but i wasn't having a dig,this is the winter 2015/16 thread,maybe we should have another thread discussing previous winters,just a thought :smile: