Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2015/16

reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

A 2 1/2 mile walk isn't bad - I do more than that most days just by getting from A to B - but I can understand why someone wouldn't want to do it for 5 days a week every morning, especially if it's really early. I'd just phone in sick.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

I couldn't think of anything more pleasurable than spending time walking to work with fresh crunchy snow underfoot  :)   

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I couldn't think of anything more pleasurable than spending time walking to work with fresh crunchy snow underfoot  :)   

Exactly! My favourite ever paper round was when there was 5 inches of powdery snow on the ground, glorious sunny skies and -10c temperatures first thing in the morning - loved it.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Here is my winter forecast, five failed 'beasts from the east', lot's of cherry picking of 'ice age' models  that are out in la la land, arguments in the MOD thread, mention of how we are due a 1962/63 winter, whilst out in the real world it is already March and we have just had four months of cloud and drizzle. :nonono::oops:  :doh::D:drinks:  :friends:

Not good enough, lassie. What about 1947! :shok:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frosty and fresh

I walk to work and back every day regardless of the weather and also take a quick stroll during lunch break. I could of course run two cars but have yet to get that lazy. Besides Dancewithwings is spot on 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

My favourite snowfalls are at night - it brightens things up drastically, and everything seems tranquil.. I remember seeing a family going out in the snow 2 years ago at 1-2am.. seems other people had  the same idea as me.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Back in my youth i once walked nearly 6 miles in a Blizzard to get to Flagg at 4 in the morning to milk cows. A jurney i will never forget!

• Like 6

Posted

I've read in a few places that the analogue winter for this El Niño is 97/98 hope that is not the case and other factors i.e. Cold pool in Atlantic will prevent this! http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/70188-the-uk-winter-of-199798/

• Like 1

Posted

Better to be walking back home from work... :D

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

I've read in a few places that the analogue winter for this El Niño is 97/98 hope that is not the case and other factors i.e. Cold pool in Atlantic will prevent this! http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/70188-the-uk-winter-of-199798/

I certainly remember the Christmas Eve storm of 1997!! Gusts in excess of 80mph, hell of noise with roof tiles being blown off into the street! Then 12 months later the Boxing day storm hit which was arguably worse!

• Like 1

Posted

Back in my youth i once walked nearly 6 miles in a Blizzard to get to Flagg at 4 in the morning to milk cows. A jurney i will never forget!

Aye. Being a postman walking such distances (and further) in horrendous conditions is par-for-the-course. I waded through the deep snow and ear-stinging temperatures of Jan 2010 and slipped about on the ice of Dec 2010 (even with boot chains) day-in, day-out. I have little sympathy for those able but not willing to walk to work and back. However, I can assure you a 2 and 1/2 mile walk on/in ice/snow takes more than half an hour.

Us rugged outdoorsmen are a breed apart. :)

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

I really hope the AccuWeather Winter forecast is inaccurate - which it probably will be to some extent. I would much rather see snow than 'seasonal' conditions.

650x366_10091538_2015-europe-winter-high

• Like 1

Posted

I really hope the AccuWeather Winter forecast is inaccurate - which it probably will be to some extent. I would much rather see snow than 'seasonal' conditions.

I'd take that.

I presume the "cold spells" for Ireland/Scotland are due in-part to the Atlantic cold pool, and "abnormal cold" in Scandi is never a bad thing for cold/snow potential for us in the UK. "Seasonal" is better than "mild", and with a lot of cold surrounding us it wouldn't take much to throw us in the freezer.

Edited by March Blizzard
  • Like 7

Posted

Aye. Being a postman walking such distances (and further) in horrendous conditions is par-for-the-course. I waded through the deep snow and ear-stinging temperatures of Jan 2010 and slipped about on the ice of Dec 2010 (even with boot chains) day-in, day-out. I have little sympathy for those able but not willing to walk to work and back. However, I can assure you a 2 and 1/2 mile walk on/in ice/snow takes more than half an hour.

Us rugged outdoorsmen are a breed apart. :)

Indeed MB   working on roofs in sub zero temps with snow and ice can be challenging to say the least! :)  :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I'd take that.

I presume the "cold spells" for Ireland/Scotland are due in-part to the Atlantic cold pool, and "abnormal cold" in Scandi is never a bad thing for cold/snow potential for us in the UK. "Seasonal" is better than "mild", and with a lot of cold surrounding us it wouldn't take much to throw us in the freezer.

Not keen for my location, to me that suggests NW'lys to dominate, so for areas away from north/northwest rain at low levels

Posted

Not keen for my location, to me that suggests NW'lys to dominate, so for areas away from north/northwest rain at low levels

Last winter I had a few good falls of snow from NW'lys, so with a larger/more anomalous cold pool this time round it could be a very decent winter for me if that's how it transpires.

Anyway, with a cold Northern/Eastern Europe that graphic hints at a lot of northern blocking to my untrained eye. Lots of encouraging signs for not just my location, but the whole of the UK in my opinion.

Posted

dont even bother with that forecast. it contradicts itself for a start. it suggests high pressure to the north and storms into southern europe. i.e. scandi high and southerly tracking jet! thats what we want! the weather they say we would get in their forecast is not what would happen. unless "seasonal" means wintry (snowy) !! Edited by bobbydog
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

I'd take a seasonal winter over the last 2 any day. 15 - 20 days snow cover is better than less than 5 like last 2!.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

dont even bother with that forecast. it contradicts itself for a start. it suggests high pressure to the north and storms into southern europe. i.e. scandi high and southerly tracking jet! thats what we want! the weather they say we would get in their forecast is not what would happen. unless "seasonal" means wintry (snowy) !!

This I couldnt agree with more! Scandi highs, sinking lows etc is a recipe for UK snow or cold, All I know is that people shouldnt panick, I think this winter could throw a few surprises 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

"Seasonal" is such a cop out - for the UK that could mean absolutely anything!

I presumed it meant wintry (autumnal, summery and springlike being similarly seasonal).

Posted

It kind of depends on how you interpret it. If you ask me, a "seasonable" feeling winter in the UK is a cold winter. Maybe something a bit like this:

It's a shame really, we missed out big time in that winter in this part of the country, we only got 1/2 inch of snow whilst even 10 miles away they had a foot in all directions.

We did much better in 2013 though :-)

I still think we're making up for that epic snowfall in december 1990!