Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lee1962

Mizzling

Mizzling; this is a word that only my immediate family seem to use in the area where I live, Doncaster in northern England. It means when there's fine, spray-like drizzle, and it's misty. I'm wondering if people have any other terms for this type of weather?

It's a term used in these parts too though not sure how widespread. It's certainly well used in my family as it's a frequent occurrence here.

We use same term for that ppn between mist and drizzle...although maybe I'm influenced by having a father from Manchester and a mother from Nottingham...

I'm pretty sure the word mizzle was "invented" by Francis Wilson.

I'd never heard it before, but I instantly knew what was meant by it.  I like to define it as wet beard weather.

I though it was a Cornish/Westcountry word, never heard it used round here. We get it, but I just know it as "that annoying soaking drizzle".

My grandmother was the one who seemed to use it all the time. She was from Staffordshire, so maybe the word originates from there.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/mizzle

Etymology

From Middle English misellen â€Ž(“to drizzleâ€). Cognate with Low German musseln â€Ž(“to mizzleâ€), Dutch miezelen â€Ž(“to drizzle, rain gentlyâ€). Of obscure origin, but apparently related to Middle Low German mes â€Ž(“urineâ€), Middle Dutch mesmis â€Ž(“urineâ€), both from Old Saxon mehs â€Ž(“urineâ€), from Proto-Germanic *mihstuz*mihstaz*mihsk- â€Ž(“urineâ€), from Proto-Germanic *mÄ«ganÄ… â€Ž(“to urinateâ€), from Proto-Indo-European *meiǵʰ-*omeiǵʰ- â€Ž(“to urinateâ€). Compare also English micturate â€Ž(“to urinateâ€), Old Frisian mese â€Ž(“urineâ€), Low German miegen â€Ž(“to urinateâ€), Dutch mijgen â€Ž(“to urinateâ€), Danish mige â€Ž(“to urinateâ€).

:laugh: