Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Met Office loses BBC contract


Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, crimsone said:

All true. I just have a soft spot for the met office. The world feels topsy turvy to me without them. :D:)

I can understand that but that's my concern, most of the arguments in here are put from a "rose tinted" and nostalgic perspective.

I work for a competitor of MeteoGroup, but I'll defend the usage of private companies providing forecasts for public bodies. Best off waiting and seeing what the result is...whenever MeteoGroup do take the reins!

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And here's a thought, if Metra were to win it, maybe we could end up with Dan Corbett back on our screens! 

I'll just leave this here...

Revealed new BBC weather service

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Nick L said:

I can understand that but that's my concern, most of the arguments in here are put from a "rose tinted" and nostalgic perspective.

I work for a competitor of MeteoGroup, but I'll defend the usage of private companies providing forecasts for public bodies. Best off waiting and seeing what the result is...whenever MeteoGroup do take the reins!

Perfectly fair, that.

This may actually be one of those rare instances where I might propose that a little competition might be a good thing...

... or at least would be if it wasn't an executive agency of the department of BEIS. It's not like it's going to get any more funding after all. :(

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Contract ends tonight but the met office will continue to provide the data until Meteogroup takeover

That seems odd. If the contract had ended, the Met Office should surely stop providing the data? Why would they supply something they are not getting paid for?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paul_1978 said:

That seems odd. If the contract had ended, the Met Office should surely stop providing the data? Why would they supply something they are not getting paid for?

Maybe they are getting paid

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well happy days for me ,glad to see the tired old met office go , I certainly embress a change they  have been in there position way too long , nothing wrong with change it can be a good thing:hi:

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/10/2017 at 09:52, Summer Sun said:

Maybe they are getting paid

And getting paid handsomely too I guess. 

I suspect if the Met Office are supplying forecast data in a non-contract situation then they are certainly charging an expensive rate.

After all on the face of it it would appear that the reason the change has not taken place yet is simply that Meteogroup are not ready. For what reason we don't know.....but it's not the Met Office's problem! :-) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like the Beeb have chosen a service provider who can't provide. Perhaps they should have considered this during the tendering process.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Update from the Met Office on Twitter this afternoon to advise they have signed a new 6 month contract with the BBC to provide weather services until 31st March 2018, after which point they expect Meteogroup to take over.

It's taking some transitioning this isn't it!

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

Update from the Met Office on Twitter this afternoon to advise they have signed a new 6 month contract with the BBC to provide weather services until 31st March 2018, after which point they expect Meteogroup to take over.

It's taking some transitioning this isn't it!

Can you post the link? Trying and failing to find this tweet!

Never mind, found it!

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand why it matters anyway, its like the bbc have ditched the Met Office but even if there were a better meteorological organisation then the shortfall in the Met Office 'profit' will be funded by the taxpayer anyway, all the data will still come from the met office, otherwise what model will the BBC use? The GFS for mid range and the arpeage / hirlam etc for daily forecasts???  HAHA, so its not like money will be saved as the government still cant cut the Met Office budget anyway, I'm all for saving taxpayers money but that's not the case here, if it aint broke then don't fix it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

As far as I understand the data wasn't coming from the met office which is/possibly going to cause confusion as the weather warnings will be issued by the met office which probably won't match with the actual forecast. This may end up with the met office making a clean sweep of the weather service if this contract falls through.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The PIT said:

As far as I understand the data wasn't coming from the met office which is/possibly going to cause confusion as the weather warnings will be issued by the met office which probably won't match with the actual forecast. This may end up with the met office making a clean sweep of the weather service if this contract falls through.

There will be egg on faces somewhere if it does fall through. I must say it's taking an awful long time to transition. The announcement was made back in August 2016, and by the time the end of March 2018 comes along (end of current contract), then 19 months will have passed. Wonder why it's taking so long?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Looks like the switchover to MeteoGroup has now taken place: https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/0

The BBC weather website has changed it's layout/graphics and it now says in association with MeteoGroup at the bottom. 

EDIT: I don't see any pressure maps on the new site, which is disappointing....

EDIT number 2: It looks like it's only showing the new site form a desktop at the moment. From my iPhone it's still the old site and says in association with the Met Office. 

One good new feature is you can scroll back over the last 24hrs and see the rainfall radar, temperature, cloud cover - basically all the weather that took place for the previous 24hrs. 

EDIT 3: I've found the pressure maps. You have to open the weather maps to full screen and then select it as an option. Shows the pressure bars but not cold, warm, occluded fronts etc.

Edited by danm
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, danm said:

Looks like the switchover to MeteoGroup has now taken place: https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/0

The BBC weather website has changed it's layout/graphics and it now says in association with MeteoGroup at the bottom. 

EDIT: I don't see any pressure maps on the new site, which is disappointing....

EDIT number 2: It looks like it's only showing the new site form a desktop at the moment. From my iPhone it's still the old site and says in association with the Met Office. 

One good new feature is you can scroll back over the last 24hrs and see the rainfall radar, temperature, cloud cover - basically all the weather that took place for the previous 24hrs. 

EDIT 3: I've found the pressure maps. You have to open the weather maps to full screen and then select it as an option. Shows the pressure bars but not cold, warm, occluded fronts etc.

Wonder if it will look any different tonight on the telly? 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Jo Farrow said:

Wonder if it will look any different tonight on the telly? 

 

TV graphics are changing in a few weeks if all goes to plan

Blog about all the changes here looks like they are phasing it all in ahead of the short-term met office extension ending in early spring

 

Edited by Summer Sun
Link to post
Share on other sites

I note that one of the 'improvements' the BBC are offering is a new online 14 day forecast.  Having followed the models on websites like this for the last 20 years, and seen how inaccurate forecasting becomes beyond about 5 days, I think they're asking for trouble, as people will start complaining about poor forecasting.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, SussexmarkyMark said:

I note that one of the 'improvements' the BBC are offering is a new online 14 day forecast.  Having followed the models on websites like this for the last 20 years, and seen how inaccurate forecasting becomes beyond about 5 days, I think they're asking for trouble, as people will start complaining about poor forecasting.

 

 

It's bad enough with people giving the whole "waaaahhh my app said it would rain at 14:06 today but it actually rained at 14:20" hysterics.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Nick L said:

It's bad enough with people giving the whole "waaaahhh my app said it would rain at 14:06 today but it actually rained at 14:20" hysterics.

And apparently they are going to show hourly forecasts for 14 days hence.....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...