Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 16/07/15 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Spells or thunderstorms.

Just heard a distant rumble.

Posted

Woken by thunder about 3.30 quite distant that seemed to die off but in last 10 mins or so t&l right overhead with torrential rain

Oh yes very close and very bright!!

post-1610-0-21496600-1439439146_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Morning folks, woken up by rain here so immediately went to check iPad to be very disappointed. Absolutely no thunder has reached landfall except around the Brighton area. It looks like activity is dying instead of developing!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Spells or thunderstorms.

Morning folks, woken up by rain here so immediately went to check iPad to be very disappointed. Absolutely no thunder has reached landfall except around the Brighton area. It looks like activity is dying instead of developing!

Yes its very annoying. I have stayed up ALL NIGHT just to watch some light rain :(. In fact the 1 distant rumble I heard could've been a plane.

Edited by Rain123
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells n snow

I woke up at half 5. Got to leave house in minute. Wondering if Surrey/Heathrow area is in for a bang later. Things sure look interesting but uncertain. 

I woke up at half 5. Got to leave house in minute. Wondering if Surrey/Heathrow area is in for a bang later. Things sure look interesting but uncertain.

Indeed,

Last night kind of went to plan, thunder last night was never really a dead cert, it was always on for today though and currently looks good, Shame we got a lot of cloud in between the storms from last night's storms, as I feel if we had clear skies this morning we could have some proper storms later and surface based

• Like 1

Posted

Was expecting a nasty journey by car to Southampton but radar shows most of the rain has sheared off to the east and west .Didn't expect that !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Now living in Twickenham (need to update location) = first pulse of heavy rain looks set to miss, but it doesn't appear to be all that thundery, oh well.

Later however with the cells north of Caen, by the Channel Islands and the beast over east brittany/west of Orléans look promising , if not potent (french replqcement keyboard (French Wife), can't  find the exclaimation point, but :bomb: (and I'm a conservative storm type)

Edited by daveinleices
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spring, Autumn, Snow ..... not, I repeat, not heatwaves!!

Ooooo, I think we may have had 0.005mm of rain overnight :-?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Ooooo, I think we may have had 0.005mm of rain overnight :-?

Patience Mark :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

The storms in The Channel seem to keep running ahead of the moisture plume, decaying, and then triggering new storms within the plume as their outflow interacts with the broad scale winds.

The plume's arrival seems a little behind schedule now, and it's become hard to figure out which 'wave' of storms - if any (!) - is going to be the first to reach land without fizzling out.

It's pretty random and relatively localised where storms are developing electrical activity. Currently it's all west of the IOW. So any such activity across the UK is likely to be a bonus this morning at least, the rain being the main focus as many have been saying over the past 24 hours. 

IF there are breaks in the cloud early-mid afternoon, temps could soar into the mid-20's in places (GFS has an optimistic 27*C just NW of Southampton), likely triggering some classic homegrown activity with a higher risk of lightning (particularly CG). Complicating matters may be further imports from The Channel... it could get very messy.

Then comes the possible second wave of elevated storms, which exists on some models but not others - while the NMM 18z held onto this feature and tracked it across CS England from the SE, Euro4 suddenly ditched it on its 18z run... awaiting the 00z with interest).

Has to be said, Meteociel's version of NMM is looking wide of the mark for 7am:

nmmuk-1-6-0.png?13-07

...but on this site, it often seems to be missing the assimilation of existing precipitation data into the first few hours of the run, which means it has to start from scratch... a waste of potential IMO. 

The MeteoCenter website runs the model with the assimilation, which yields a more convincing result, albeit over 3-hour intervals rather than 1-hour.

You'll have to browse to the charts via http://www.meteocenter.eu/WRF-forecast/EU/Europe.html#model as they can't be linked to directly.
The 2100 Thu and 0000 Fri output is particularly menacing for The Solent region as it suggests more than 60mm falling in the space of 3-4 hours.

Edited by Singularity
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms /Snow

And finally woken up by thunder and lightning from the slowest approach of a storm ever. About a rumble a minute though so not overly active!

A rumble a minute would be better than the nowt a minute here

• Like 1

Posted

The intense rain in the South East has halted & is now fizzling out. Not what my garden wanted.

Band of storms in the channel may push up, but I fear they'll die out over land too

Posted

Bone dry here expected to wake up to it raining at least.have a few hours before I start work so maybe something will happen but I don't think it will be anything thundery.

Posted

No rain at all here, needless to say no thunder heard or lightening seen. Will be interesting to see how today develops.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

I love how it all looks pretty much the same as when I went to bed 6 hours ago :laugh: even this afternoons chances look mediocre at best going by latest forecasts. Expecting more rain from the band pushing in Friday...

Edited by Chris K
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Yes, only 2.2 mm of rain has fallen here so far today after a few heavy/torrential downpours but still no thunder. Definitely not getting my hopes up today.

Posted

Everything going to plan i see. All the activity out in the channel and hasn't really moved much since I went to sleep apart from an Eastward shunt.

The sun will fail to break through the clag and nothing of any real note expected here. The most boring summer of all time continues. At least its nearly over.

• Like 2

Posted

BBC Bristol have a yellow warning for heavy rain risk of thunder.Also warning of surface flooding and lightning could be an additional hazard.

Also says very humid but it doesn't feel humid I'm sat in the garden and it's quite chilly.

I think thundery activity will be confined to south eastern areas and the south west will just get boring rain but who knows might get lucky.

• Like 1

Posted

I was hoping to wake up to at least some rain, but it's bone dry and cloudy, feels rather fresh outside too.

• Like 1