Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England & East Anglia, Weather Chat...July 1st 2015...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

BOOOM!!!!!! Lights flickering :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Kent doing OK for some thunderstorms this afternoon. For the rest of us it's an interesting but slightly frustrating situation.

There's a cluster of storms out in the North Sea and the Low appears to be spiraling favourably for them to make land somewhere between Ipswich and Norfolk. BUT... the Low is also slowly moving east, so will the storms actually make it to the coast before the entire system drifts east??

Rainfall 15.45 attachicon.gifRainfall Mon24Aug 15.45.jpg Lightning 16.00 attachicon.gifLightning Mon24Aug 16.00.jpg

My hunch (FWIW) is that they'll clip the coast but not make it this far inland.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheforecaster

Posted

Lots and lots of rain here today. Torrential at times and lot of overflowing drains. Flooding at the bottom of some hills.

Little in the way of lightning here but we did have the off rumble around 5 o'clock.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Saw at least 10 lots of lightning with good thunder claps.

Pretty impressive amounts of rain to.

Seems like we hit the rain/storm jackpot this afternoon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

I'd say the N Sea is the most likely recipient! Friends reporting a lot of rain in Yarmouth though.

My hunch (FWIW) is that they'll clip the coast but not make it thisfar inland.

Yep, it was disappointing guys. The storm lovers among us should have popped down to Harwich and jumped on the ferry to Hoek van Holland -  some great storms crackling on in the North Sea and off the coast of Holland.

So, is it time to say 'better luck next summer'??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Yep, it was disappointing guys. The storm lovers among us should have popped down to Harwich and jumped on the ferry to Hoek van Holland -  some great storms crackling on in the North Sea and off the coast of Holland.

So, is it time to say 'better luck next summer'??

Probably! Hopefully the Netherlands may have something for me over the weekend :) Very little in the way of rain today, just bog standard light stuff for a couple of hours. Has started raining again, clouds moving in from the NE.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Very little here to be honest, just cool and damp.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Moderate to heavy rain for the last hour or so. Hammers down for a bit, stops. Pauses. Hammers down again. Stops. Rinse and repeat!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow, Storms. Summer: Heat, Thunder

Still raining, probably the worst day all summer for me, not a lot of fun working outside that's for sure

Posted

Fresh morning with plenty of sunshine and currently 13.4C.

Could I ask you guys a question please? Once again I'm scratching my head about the discrepancy between when the next band of rain will arrive today. The Met Office forecast on the beeb this morning has the rain affecting the whole of our Region (right up to the north Norfolk coast) by 15.00. But looking at this morning's NMM model output, the rain is only just arriving on the South Coast by 15.00. 

NMM at 15.00 locale post-20040-0-73076700-1440486402_thumb.p

I've been taking the time shown on the NMM chart, which they describe as '15.00 locale', as UK 'local' (i.e. 15.00 BST), but I'm starting to think I might be mistaken and '15.00 locale' is actually French time so it's really 14.00 BST?? Anybody know please? Cheers.

Posted

Wow we got 32mm rain yesterday top in East Anglia region.

That doesn't happen very often.

Nice fresh bright start to the day around 14c.

Fresh morning with plenty of sunshine and currently 13.4C.

Could I ask you guys a question please? Once again I'm scratching my head about the discrepancy between when the next band of rain will arrive today. The Met Office forecast on the beeb this morning has the rain affecting the whole of our Region (right up to the north Norfolk coast) by 15.00. But looking at this morning's NMM model output, the rain is only just arriving on the South Coast by 15.00. 

NMM at 15.00 locale attachicon.gifNMM Precip Tue25Aug 15.00.png

I've been taking the time shown on the NMM chart, which they describe as '15.00 locale', as UK 'local' (i.e. 15.00 BST), but I'm starting to think I might be mistaken and '15.00 locale' is actually French time so it's really 14.00 BST?? Anybody know please? Cheers.

I would assume being a French site it is thier time, some models have the time in the top that they refer to

Well that chart is already wrong the rain is much further north and intensifying as it moves our way.

Posted

Personally I am not a fan of the NMM rain charts.

Also these type of conditions I find that its a really big guess from any rainfall chart,

Its a within 2 hour range and even then its not always right.

The main rain base is far more south and running east rather than moving north east as forecasted  yesterday eve.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

It started off clear, cool and sunny, (last night was quite cold 11.6c) :cold: but that is all crumbling away now as  dark skies have spread in. Won't be long before it is raining. Have to wait until the end of the week for an improvement, once the jet stream buggers off back oop norf.

Posted

Oh well rain is here now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

Yep. Raining here too. So much for a few days off work going to the beach

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Been raining here since about 12.30 and after a lovely morning it looks like another bit of decent bit of rain. I think that this week will turn out to be the wettest week of summer by miles in this neck of the woods as tomorrow looks wet, thursday showery with only Friday looking half decent!!Well we needed the rain, but shame its all come at once(bit like the buses lol!!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

After a sunny start today has been very wet here. Really cold for August too, a disgusting 14C! Really crap. Not impressed as have this week off.

Posted

I would assume being a French site it is thier time, some models have the time in the top that they refer to

Well that chart is already wrong the rain is much further north and intensifying as it moves our way.

Thanks for replying Surrey. I think your assumption is probably right.  

Certainly the timing from NMM was somewhat adrift today, but maybe not massively so? Here's the comparison of the NMM chart v actual.

NMM forecast 14.00 post-20040-0-57848900-1440511450_thumb.p Radar at 14.00 post-20040-0-81250700-1440511464_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow, Storms. Summer: Heat, Thunder

Another horrible day in Cambridge after a decent morning. Had a fleece on all day and still felt cold at times, tomorrow not looking much better

• Like 1

Posted

weds   is looking horrible to say the least!!!