Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - SPANISH PLUME - 30/06/15 onwards

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Alot of these posts are storm reports, any chance of a convective update for this coming week?

Thank you

• Like 2

Posted

Supercells typically can last for 6-8 hours, they create their own area of Low Pressure, LP Supercells tend to have the least amount of time and can shrivel in a matter of minutes.

Wont bore you all as I seem to have soo many times today, but the Supercell I chased on 21st June tracked for 320 miles doing 40mph over 8 hours.

A Typical Uk Single Cell storm will last for 30-40 minutes!

• Like 9

Posted

Just popped on to remark at the awesomeness of that cell north of Ripon. A perfectly formed beast on radar which, if any storm today vaguely resembled a severe, supercellular thunderstorm, that is it. Kicking out impressive lightning and has a huge core.

Pics and vids please :D

I was right under the storm in Ripon earlier this afternoon, and that was bad enough. Standing on the 4th tee at Ripon City Golf Club is probably the highest point of the course and it crept up pretty quickly and viciously. I'll be honest and admit that not only had I never witnessed as overhead a storm as that, I was also more than a bit scared.

Then once it passed, for about an hour it was even hotter that it had been earlier.

Posted

Attached photo was the developing Shropshire storm as it went over Shrewsbury. Possibly one of the best photos I have ever taken!

Heard some distant rumbles but never felt a drop of rain. Seemed to be some way NE of here.

Posted

I'm proper crying now, if I had left work and driven up that way straight from work as I was tempted to I would of seen it all.... I knew this would happen but I also knew that if I drove up there then it would of probably died out and nothing would of happened!! I can't fing believe it lol

• Like 1

Posted

Cheers for that Paul S. I pursume MCS can travel the furthest and over a larger area? I heard that they can travel for 100s of miles as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Strikes me how serious these storms are but no warnings from the met office.

Hmm...agreed...pretty poor I think but not unknown from them.

Storms going ape now across N Midlands/the North.

With one eye on Friday, seems it's downgrade after downgrade...MetO going rain perhaps thundery...one NMM model also keen to downgrade :cray:

All this after hours and hours of crying about the lack of storms up north and look...goldmine of activity!

Durham cell shrinking now.

Edited by Harry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

Heard some distant rumbles but never felt a drop of rain. Seemed to be some way NE of here.

The radar shows it developed by church stretton and built over town and really got going on approaching Whitchurch. It's now a massive cluster of storms heading north (Sod's law). It showed strikes South of town and one in battlefield, but no rain at all other than a few spots.

We were 20 to far south for a biggy, but by anyone's standard it was a storm that passed over town, and lightening did strike. within the town,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Now the light is fading, strikes (lot of IC) clearly visible to my NE. Big Towers clearly visible same direction.

Edited by Carl46Wrexham

Posted

This storm is mostly elevated (well the first cel is) the second seems more active on lightning detectors.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

in the last few years has there been a supercell in southern England? They all seem to be up t' north. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Is there a lightning detector which shows bay of biscay

I think blitzortung.org is the best lightning maps uses them. )

Edited by Lynxus
  • Like 1

Posted

They're moving at a hell of a pace. The storm over East Cheshire was South West of Stoke 30 minutes ago!