Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

First 30C - where and when?

We haven't had a year since 1993 where 30c hasn't been reached anywhere in the UK. This could be the year though esp with Atlantic ssts the way they are. Il go with 29.0 on 5th August at Bournemouth

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

I think there will be a peppering of 30c days across late July and August

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

We haven't had a year since 1993 where 30c hasn't been reached anywhere in the UK. This could be the year though esp with Atlantic ssts the way they are. Il go with 29.0 on 5th August at Bournemouth

I don't think the sea temps will have much effect in this scenario. 30c will not be reached from westerly winds which is where the cooler than average seas are. Only a southerly or southeasterly will probably work. Sea temps are above average in the Med so this could help boost warmth a little with any hot air from this direction.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Will go for July 14th in Central London around 5:37pm - temperature getting upto 34*C.

For here: July 15th at 4:58pm

• Like 1

Posted

Madness. Just checked and that was indeed the hottest temperature anywhere in the UK in 1977, recorded close to Glasgow in Paisley.

Apparently in 1901 Newton Rigg in Cumbria was joint-holder of the annual highest temperature. That's where the UK's record low for April was recorded in 1917 (-15.0C).

http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~taharley/hottest_days.htm

There was one August (1901? 1902? Somewhere around then) when Shetland had the highest UK temperature of the month. So it is, or has been possible for regional heat waves to affect areas other than the SE. Also remember the end of June 1995 when the west of Scotland had some of the highest temps.

Posted

i will stick my neck out and say there will be no 30c this year in my location, or anywhere in the nw of england

*hoping reverse psychology will work*   :)  

nah , still no 30c , we are not the med

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

There was one August (1901? 1902? Somewhere around then) when Shetland had the highest UK temperature of the month. So it is, or has been possible for regional heat waves to affect areas other than the SE. Also remember the end of June 1995 when the west of Scotland had some of the highest temps.

Scottish sites hold the record highest temperature for May 1st,2nd and 19th  June13,14 and 18 but no other summer days.September 14 and 21,also April 7,26,28 and 29. Some of these dates are joint with other locations also Cape wrath is listed more than once!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

I know it won't be where I live.

We may reach 30c but with my location and altitude, others will already be at 35c by then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

[snip]

Now, do everyone a favour and quit posting rubbish. Nearly everyone on here has had a go at you at one point or another for posting inaccurate tripe - so take a hint and give it up.

You could try being less patronising too - it stinks the place out.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Does someone want to open up a first 35c or even a first 40c thread? Lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Wow... I said 30 June at Kew Gardens when this thread was posted. I might have a very good chance!

yeah good guess, just 1 day early, will be 1st when it's reached

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Kew Gardens on 30 June.

Looks like the models pushing things back a tad have screwed you.

Heathrow - July 2nd

Kew Gardens, July 1st

You two stand an excellent chance. 

Posted

i will stick my neck out and say there will be no 30c this year in my location, or anywhere in the nw of england

*hoping reverse psychology will work*   :)  

nah , still no 30c , we are not the med

I still stand by this even with the forecast heat next week, looks like another overrated plume to me now,  

we did achieve over 30c in the ninties and in 2006, but i cant recall anything since,  

Posted

Indeed, away from the SE we might scrape 25C.
A fairly normal early summer hot spell.

It's not unusual to get the odd 25C+ in late May (and more than once recently that's been the hottest day of the year here) 

Posted

we did achieve over 30c in the ninties and in 2006, but i cant recall anything since,  

In 1975/6 there were several consecutive days around 30-32C here.

In 2003 it touched 32C on one day at the start of August.

I remember we were carting in straw bales and the tractor controls and steering wheel got so hot you had to wear gloves (no aircon in those days)

Posted

I still stand by this even with the forecast heat next week, looks like another overrated plume to me now,  

Yeah, it shows how rare such temperatures are in our neck of the woods when you see 30C forecast and react with "eh?!". It just doesn't look right, does it?

My iPhone is currently going for a 31C max on Wednesday for here, BBC less keen with 28C and sunshine and showers.

30C doesn't look too out of place in the South Eastern corner of England, but for us it is.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I can't speak for NW England but we reached 31C in both 2011 and 2013, and nearly every year before 2007, so it's certainly not unusual at all to reach 30C at least once. The weatheronline forecast had a high of 31C here with highs of 27-29C on other days, and I thought 'That's not even close to record breaking'.

When we get 5 consecutive days above 30C like we did in August 1995 or 34C like we did in August 1990, I'll take more notice - but it's still nice to see a forecast like this after the crappy start to summer.

Posted

I can't speak for NW England but we reached 31C in both 2011 and 2013, and nearly every year before 2007, so it's certainly not unusual at all to reach 30C at least once. The weatheronline forecast had a high of 31C here with highs of 27-29C on other days, and I thought 'That's not even close to record breaking'.

When we get 5 consecutive days above 30C like we did in August 1995 or 34C like we did in August 1990, I'll take more notice - but it's still nice to see a forecast like this after the crappy start to summer.

I think your side of the Pennines is more prone to the warmer temperatures in summer, Cheese. Quite often when you look at a coloured temperature map of the UK the oranges and yellows can spread quite far north up the eastern side of the Pennines, with my side typically coloured in greens/yellows. I guess in many ways the heat escapes the south and moves north unimpeded in the eastern half of the country, the northwest, being closer to the Atlantic and relatively sheltered usually escapes the "worst" of the heat.

30C here is by no means impossible, and I wouldn't even say it's exceptional as such, but it is pretty rare.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Gravesend, 4th July 2016. :)

Only out by 368 days! :fool:  :fool:  :D