Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 12th June 2015 onwards

Just a little FYI for people that take mobile apps, BBC forecast, and many online forecasts without human input are about as good as predicting the weather as my cat.

They are all computer generated and use info merely from a computer hence, are usually completely wrong.

Stick to the wording in the met office and the bright sparks on here feeding info from models with human input.

Kapish

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

In the meantime, here are some photos of my skies last night. Remember how long it took to get from my cumulus puffballs to this!

post-21857-0-69973700-1434107513_thumb.j

post-21857-0-46155700-1434107661_thumb.j

post-21857-0-36550500-1434107823_thumb.j

And this was a short while ago as that shower was moving away, looking across the road:

post-21857-0-81675600-1434108035_thumb.j

And now these are building nicely:

post-21857-0-49877600-1434108399_thumb.j

EDIT: maybe not so slowly...I've no got the building anvil of that right ahead of me.

Edited by Spikecollie
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Just a little FYI for people that take mobile apps, BBC forecast, and many online forecasts without human input are about as good as predicting the weather as my cat.

They are all computer generated and use info merely from a computer hence, are usually completely wrong.

Stick to the wording in the met office and the bright sparks on here feeding info from models with human input.

Kapish

Lol!!....that made me chuckle, you have a way with words...quality

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

ECM shows some decent thunderstorm activity later this afternoon/evening for the M4 corridor.

And this morning was never going to see widespread crystal clear skies like yesterday, this was forecast.

Just what gives with the M4 corridor? It's a snow/rain boundary line in winter, now in summer its influencing things again.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather

Just what gives with the M4 corridor? It's a snow/rain boundary line in winter, now in summer its influencing things again.

Its reflecting government policy because they believe nothing exists north of the m4

• Like 6

Posted

Its reflecting government policy because they believe nothing exists north of the m4

It's Clarkson speeding up the and down the M4 wondering what to do now. The vorticity of such speeds within the PBL create all sorts of problems ....

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Quite a strong breeze blown up here, very murky skies and feeling warm at 22C...feels thundery, looks like a bit of a bust. We shall see, plenty of time for something to develop.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

First cell of the day firing over Exeter?

I'm in Exeter and currently it is grey and humid but nothing more haha!

Posted

Hi Joe, a small 'cell' appeared a the NE radar, just on the Eastern edge of town. Didn't look like Anoprop. But as quick as it appeared in a couple of 5 min updates, its now almost gone again!

Edited by PhilM1
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather

Gone dull and not warm either

Posted

Wahey - we have drizzle here!

Woooo, same!! Sun still hasn't been able to burn off any of the cloud and it's now thickening with this drizzle...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

Is it just me or does the air smell odd? It's really sticky out there when there is no breeze. I can't describe it, but the air has this smell about it.

It's probably just me. In which case sos

Edited by tomp456

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Is it just me or does the air smell odd? It's really sticky out there when there is no breeze. I can't describe it, but the air has this smell about it.

Get in the shower! :-) Edited by Carl46Wrexham
  • Like 5

Posted

Is it? Someone might want to tell my Meto App that. Its now showing.....nothing, no rain, no Thunder, no nothing...other than cloud. I dont think anyone realy knows whats going to happen this time around.....this is harder to predict than snow lol

oh and you believe the met app?

There will be thunderstorms today in southern England, where they will be is unsure but there will be storms

Posted

Just to add to my previous. Storm activity seems related to the low pressure region due to sit over Southern Britain late afternoon, early evening.

Here it is,

post-5986-0-05756800-1434109785_thumb.gi

Associated with this is the rainfall,

post-5986-0-63812000-1434109803_thumb.gi

Of interest to storm lovers is the theta-w charts - all in the same area,

post-5986-0-21325900-1434109844_thumb.gi

And of course, we can estimate lapse rates from thicknesses - which are at their greatest in this region of low pressure,

post-5986-0-08138900-1434109978_thumb.gipost-5986-0-65382600-1434110010_thumb.gi

And here's the cap,

post-5986-0-65936400-1434109983_thumb.gi

• Like 2

Posted

I remember the mad 5th June 1983 storms in Dorset - it was humid and cloudy that day & all hell broke loose! Something will happen... & if it doesn't, I have a slab of beer to compensate :D

• Like 3

Posted

I remember the mad 5th June 1983 storms in Dorset - it was humid and cloudy that day & all hell broke loose! Something will happen... & if it doesn't, I have a slab of beer to compensate :D

That's the spirit, my man, that's the spirit. Curry night here in the Sparkicle household, with plenty of beer, of course. Going to try to do a cashew-nut curry. Never done it before, take-away menu in hand, of course.

Edited by Sparkicle
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

The smell of our impending electrical armageddon.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

First lightning activity just popped up in northern France

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I remember it well!

I made a post about that last week, supercells developed and passed over our area on that day. :)

Posted

yes it does have a what I would imagine "southern climbs" - type of smell to it - definitely different to the usual damp air we in the UK are used to