Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 01/06/15 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Still looking good. Im hoping that we get storms once again in the early hours of friday, then again friday evening after some sunshine and heat. Of course thats not going to happen but heres hoping. Also off topic, anyone having problems with uploading pics?

Edited by John1990

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Thats what they tell everyone... HATE HATE HATE flying.. I know I know it's totally safe, safer than driving infact, but each time I get on a plane I just think to myself "if one switch, one button anything happens im 36k above the floor" 

The fear of flying actually comes from it not being a natural thing to do :) So your body goes into panic and tells you NO NO NO not do it.

When I went for slight therapy there are 2 types of people that fly on planes:

"I wonder what film will be on in this flight?"

"GET ME OF THE PLANE!!!!"

I am one of those that does not like flying :) Even though ive been to America, Spain so on so on..  :rofl:  :rofl:

I know, I know - I'm an anxiety bunny, but not about flying (read my "Relaxation" post from last night and you'll get the idea). It's not your body that goes into "panic mode" it's your mind, and that gives you the physical symptoms. I would say that there are very many mindsets about flying from total technical understanding calm to panic the moment you get to the airport or before. I'm on the left hand side but bad turbulence makes me motion sick and that spoils it a bit for me!

BTW - you never answered my question - you were too busy writing all your worrying about the flight! Where are you going?

Maybe do a bit of research on the switches and buttons - they're pretty hardy and well backed up - people make the mistakes, but nowhere infinitesimally near as often as in cars (so don't bother dwelling on those).

Your aircraft is perfectly designed for it's job, and your pilot is superbly trained and qualified. AcCas or even an MCS or two are not going to cause a problem - so be a weather person and watch the view unfold and enjoy your privilege of flight.

Back on topic, but also for you - it does look like there will be a lot of storm activity on Thursday around Europe, your privilege is just better...

Posted

I'm off to Mexico in August and I haven't flown in a while. I just need to go back to the first time I ever jumped on an airline when I was a kid where I hadn't seen much. I loved it! Just gotta try to remember that time. Forgetting all the incidents I've seen on TV about plane crashes, terrorism issues etc that have brought up more fear over the years.

You're just as bad! Read my post to Surrey. You are not forgetting the rare but unfortunate things you have seen/heard/read, you are remembering them. Stop it! Think of them as bumped posts by the media - really insignificant, but given far too much attention. You too - relax and enjoy the privilege of flying...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Let's steer this back to storm discussion please guys :)

• Like 9

Posted

Just another westward shift.. Please :D

Be careful for what you wish for! Instead of the North Sea the bloody Irish Sea may interfere. :help:

Posted

Over 33,000 strikes in Western Europe today so far. What's the rest of the week going to bring? I've re-done the lawn mowing and packed the "tondeuse" away for a few days, cleared the gutter drains and secured anything that might blow - guaranteed to invoke the storm shield!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder

Thursday looks more promising for me in Saint Malo than last week, more of a westward pattern, so rather than cells moving NE into Belgium

there is a chance they will move up towards the West, and towards SW /S.England.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning

Be careful for what you wish for! Instead of the North Sea the bloody Irish Sea may interfere. :help:

Maybe, but NI is getting nothing as far as I can see, sad times

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Where are you going? I'm sure they'll give you a nice routing around any activity, and all you'll get is a nice view of it...you might get a few lumps and bumps, but remember that you are completely safe!

Rhodes - over the past couple of weeks, my weather app has been telling me that they have been experiencing some thunderstorms. Something tells me I won't be enjoying anything storm related when I am there (not sure whether I'm happy with that or not to be honest!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Thats what they tell everyone... HATE HATE HATE flying.. I know I know it's totally safe, safer than driving infact, but each time I get on a plane I just think to myself "if one switch, one button anything happens im 36k above the floor" 

The fear of flying actually comes from it not being a natural thing to do :) So your body goes into panic and tells you NO NO NO not do it.

When I went for slight therapy there are 2 types of people that fly on planes:

"I wonder what film will be on in this flight?"

"GET ME OF THE PLANE!!!!"

I am one of those that does not like flying :) Even though ive been to America, Spain so on so on..  :rofl:  :rofl:

Those fear of flying courses that the airlines run are very effective and worth he money.

The main thing with a fear of flying is not understanding how an aircraft works and the second thing is learning to confront the fear and this is what those courses do. When you know how an aircraft works and you can beat the anxiety response from your body, it's very difficult to have a fear of flying.

I adore flying. LOVE IT, but still whenever we line up for takeoff on the runway, my heat rate goes right up even though I enjoy it.

EDIT; oops, sorry Nick, just seen your post.

I was surprised not to see any storms in Italy as the mountains built some SERIOUS storm clouds, but it sort of just hung over the mountains and never came down to the coast.

I love Rhodes Harry, which resort are you going too? I'd be very surprised if you get storms at this time of year. They are very common in April and October/November over there.

Edited by Lauren

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Oooh yes please!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

My wife is thinking of driving down to Cornwall on thursday from Staines and chase the storms back.... Any thoughts?

From what I read the storms are likely to be tracking NW, which means you're moving parallel to them if you're heading Cornwall to London which might not be ideal.

I would suggest stop near Swindon and you can head out in the direction which provides the best storms on the day (or night!).

Personally I'll be hanging about near home - maybe head down the A3 a bit but not far. Want to stay high up and have motorways or at least A roads available to the north and west for chasing.

Also in July last year I outran the one on the 18th which was cool but as I was driving away from it I missed a LOT of lightning!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Again any thoughts for the South West/Cornwall here? A lot of off topic posts here!

Posted

12z update not to bad wider area Friday looks better :)

Eastern shift? Mm not really

looks very similar to the last run mate!!its really is time to get excited now for us storm lovers!!dont see much changing between now and friday!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Very decent looking around London and Home Counties northwards into Bedfordshire, Northants, Cambs etc.

• Like 1

Definitely looks interesting! However I think I'll try to keep excitement to a minimum until Thursday, we've been in this boat many times before.

Fingers crossed the models are right this time, :p

• Like 1

Posted

Very decent looking around London and Home Counties northwards into Bedfordshire, Northants, Cambs etc.

yes its looking very good!!areas favourable at the moment i say east midlands,home counties!!anywhere could see a storm though!!i cant post any charts for some reason so if anyone can post some charts i really appreciate it!!
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Definitely looks interesting! However I think I'll try to keep excitement to a minimum until Thursday, we've been in this boat many times before.

Fingers crossed the models are right this time, :p

Yep, totally agree!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

yes its looking very good!!areas favourable at the moment i say east midlands,home counties!!anywhere could see a storm though!!i cant post any charts for some reason so if anyone can post some charts i really appreciate it!!

Here are GFS 12z for Friday 3pm:

post-18097-0-87993600-1433868622_thumb.p

post-18097-0-87685200-1433868634_thumb.p

post-18097-0-83944300-1433868644_thumb.p

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Not getting excited yet will wait until Thursday as things can change very rapidly. Even on the day storms can show up where they not supposed to do and not appear where they should.

• Like 2