Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Not sure we could get any sort of snow flurries today? Just rain here. Not heard any other reports of such thing in the southern half of the U.K.?

Still, pretty much anything is possible in this world! :)

Edited by Costa Del Fal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Hi, I'm back for the winter too! Hoping we actually have one this year. Colder here this afternoon than of late but beautiful blue skies after the greys this morning.

• Like 1

Posted

Not sure we could get any sort of snow flurries today? Just rain here. Not heard any other reports of such thing in the southern half of the U.K.?

Still, pretty much anything is possible in this world! :)

Apparently there were snow flurries in Oxford today at around 13:30. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Apparently there were snow flurries in Oxford today at around 13:30. :)

Indeed. Can only assume there was a strong downdraught/intense downpour associated with it to bring down the colder air to lower elevation.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Blustery with temp currently 4.4c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Maximum of 9.0C today.

I really enjoyed working in the garden chasing the leaves. I remembered my lessons of my youth and blew them down wind and sucked them up wind!

It took me back to the 1950's when I used to get paid for doing it.

It always seeemed to be quite breezy in my memories.

Anyway a prolonged shower this morning and a short quick burst at about 14:30 have given 6.3mms and the temperature is now falling away and currently is at 6.3C.

Hope tomorrow is dry!!!! :fool::D

as I want to be outside all day!

MIA

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Ello ello ello.

To my surprise, we had snow flurries in Oxford at around 1:30pm! I was shocked as I didn't think it was anywhere near cold enough for sleet or snow!

My mum did text me this morning and say there were flurries in Leicester. I told her that she must need to go to specsavers as it simply isn't cold enough yet. Well, I had egg on face this afternoon :rofl:​

Great to see you on here Andy, but snow flurries in 0xford? not sure as even Will high up only had sleet, here max was 8C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Work... Cold but clear. Fun.. 12" of snow!

Someone mention snow?? That`s me back for the next three months or so! I trust everyone had a wonderful spring summer and autumn?

Posted

Anyone know why I have turned into the invisible man over the break? Just tried to upload a pic and its going nowhere!

Posted

WOW... You look familiar!! Pmsl...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

WOW... You look familiar!! Pmsl...

Whats going on here, you stealing my passport photo!!

MIA

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Great to see you on here Andy, but snow flurries in 0xford? not sure as even Will high up only had sleet, here max was 8C

I'm miffed by it as well! I as at quite a high location at the time it happened, around 150m ASL. Well, high for Oxford anyway! Haha.

It lasted maybe 2 minutes but I'm certain they were flurries as they were blowing about in the wind and no way was it rain.

I thought it was way too mild for snow at 9c but the dew point was around 1c so maybe that was enough to produce flurries.

Posted

I'm miffed by it as well! I as at quite a high location at the time it happened, around 150m ASL. Well, high for Oxford anyway! Haha.

It lasted maybe 2 minutes but I'm certain they were flurries as they were blowing about in the wind and no way was it rain.

I thought it was way too mild for snow at 9c but the dew point was around 1c so maybe that was enough to produce flurries.

believe you, but heard snow was not possible with a dew of 1C

Posted

Warning out for Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire.

Issued at:

1251 on Sat 14 Nov 2015

Valid from:

1500 on Sat 14 Nov 2015

Valid to:

2200 on Sun 15 Nov 2015

A frontal system is expected to become slow moving across parts of northwest Wales, northern England, the far north of the Midlands and much of south and west Scotland. Rain associated with this feature is expected to become heavy and persistent, especially over hills exposed to the strong westerly to southwesterly flow.

Be aware that, given already saturated conditions, flooding is possible either from standing water or from rivers which have remained high after the large rainfall totals over the last few days.

This is an update to the warning issued on Friday to include a larger part of northeast England and southern Scotland. A strong, moist westerly to southwesterly flow is expected to develop during Saturday and last through most of Sunday before clearing during the evening. This flow is expected to bring a period of heavy and persistent rain, with 50 to 100 mm of rain falling in many areas of western and northern England and north Wales, whilst 40 to 60 mm is expected across parts of southern Scotland. Higher totals are expected across hills; these areas are covered by a separate Amber warning. This rainfall, falling on to already saturated ground, is likely to lead to further flooding.

There is some uncertainty in the exact locations of heaviest rainfall, as well as peak amounts; this will depend on how far north the frontal system moves and how long it remains aligned across any one area. For this reason, the warning will be kept under review over the weekend. HighLikelyVery Low Green Yellow Amber Red Green Yellow Amber Amber Green Green Yellow Amber Green Green Yellow Yellow Very LowImpactHigh What does this mean?

Local Authorities affected and associated warning levels Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Nottingham, Derby

Persistent moderate rain here now.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Aye, that's a tweak to the earlier warning with more of Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire now covered.

After a mainly dry morning the rain arrived here shortly after midday and it's raining steadily now. Current temp' is 5.7c.

Posted

Whats going on here, you stealing my passport photo!!

MIA

Haha.. Must be just a glitch? 

Posted

Been raining since before 7am, river is rising, be flooded if this carries on.

Yesterday for once had some sunshine, but lots of sudden showers especially towards evening. This reported snow was probably soft hail, it was 8C and never went below 5 at night.

Posted

Looks like the cold air later next week will give a classic wishbone effect for the Midlands, ie; we stay bone dry even though we have minus 8 uppers at one point.

I just hope there are a couple of polar lows chucked in. I'm sure northerlies are a lot drier than they used to be??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Looks like the cold air later next week will give a classic wishbone effect for the Midlands, ie; we stay bone dry even though we have minus 8 uppers at one point.

I just hope there are a couple of polar lows chucked in. I'm sure northerlies are a lot drier than they used to be??

You never know :cold:     Before you all start saying it won't happen.....I know at this stage it's just for fun.....But you never know!!! :D 

gfs-2-186_fzl6.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow:)

Shall I start the snow dance in eager anticipation of lamp post watching yet? â„ï¸

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Shall I start the snow dance in eager anticipation of lamp post watching yet? â„ï¸

If comes about we will all have to have a dance to keep warm :cold: :cold: :cold::D 

192-580UK_hxf3.GIF

Posted

9.6mm so far with a lull just now, Very heavy rain expected around 9pm here. Temp 11.4c

Posted

If comes about we will all have to have a dance to keep warm :cold: :cold: :cold::D

192-580UK_hxf3.GIF

Yes GFS 12Z shows an area of snow moving through next Saturday night, believe it when I see it though, for tomorrow main concern the horrendous rain due to hit north midlands, most areas of midlands though staying dry

Posted

Light rain here now, And the winds increased gusting 42mph just.