Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Thunder heard to the south east during a heavy shower early this afternoon. The first thunder heard in September since 2010.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

2 3 cracks of thunder with rain here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Hammered down here in Solihull at 7:30 this evening with thunder didn't see any lightning though, love it when the streets turn into rivers :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Can confirm DWW,

Returning on M42 from the M6 to Solihull .

From the NEC to Junction 4 2 flashes of CC and heavy rain starting to flood the motorway. Traffic slowing to a crawl.

Came to a stop on the Solihull bypass for  5 mins, due to local flooding and  3 more CC overhead.

By the time I got to Dovehouse Lane I had passed thru the storm, though light to mod rain still falling,

My heaviest storm of the year. Temp about 15C all the way down the M6, but dropped to 10.5C in the middle of the storm.

All this after driving for 2 hours from the North west with sunny conditions until the last 5 miles!!

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

Posted

Can confirm DWW,

Returning on M42 from the M6 to Solihull .

From the NEC to Junction 4 2 flashes of CC and heavy rain starting to flood the motorway. Traffic slowing to a crawl.

Came to a stop on the Solihull bypass for  5 mins, due to local flooding and  3 more CC overhead.

By the time I got to Dovehouse Lane I had passed thru the storm, though light to mod rain still falling,

My heaviest storm of the year. Temp about 15C all the way down the M6, but dropped to 10.5C in the middle of the storm.

All this after driving for 2 hours from the North west with sunny conditions until the last 5 miles!!

MIA

Yep! wasn't far from you at the time, Lode Lane by the rover works....See what tomorrow brings :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

Managed to avoid all the thunderstorms today! 2015 remains at only 2 thunderstorms recorded here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

10c last night, 9c tonight and 8c forecast tomorrow. I like this....

Can't say it's noticeable myself. Are you really craving cold that much right now? I'm all for snow but it's lucky if we get any tbh these days.

Edited by Costa Del Fal

Posted

Heavy shower passing over, and its really throwing it down here in Keyworth at the moment....

FC

Edited by frozencanals

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

Summer 2015 (vs 2014)

Temperature

Summer 2015 was slightly below average in terms of temperature. Despite a brief heat-wave to start July, temperatures were not that great overall, especially towards the end of July. August 2015 wasn't as cool as 2014, but June and July 2015 were cooler.

2015_14_MeanTemp_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif2014_14_MeanTemp_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif

Rainfall

Summer 2015 was average in terms of rainfall. June was the drier month with rainfall below average. Rainfall was generally average during July and August. Not significantly different compared to last year.

2015_14_Rainfall_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif2014_14_Rainfall_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif

Sunshine

Summer 2015 was average in terms of sunshine. June was the only month in which sunshine was above average, July was average and August was below average. Last year was sunnier, with all areas seeing above average sunshine. June and July were not as bad as 2012, but August was.

2015:

2015_14_Sunshine_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif2015_6_Sunshine_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif2015_7_Sunshine_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif2015_8_Sunshine_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif

2014:

2014_14_Sunshine_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif2014_6_Sunshine_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif2014_7_Sunshine_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif2014_8_Sunshine_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif

Thunderstorms

June 2015 wasn't impressive, but June does tend to disappoint on some years. June 2014 was far more impressive.

2015_6_LightningStrikes_Actual.gif2014_6_LightningStrikes_Actual.gif

July 2015 was generally a poor month. Most of the strikes shown on the map were from the storm following the plume. Nevertheless, that one storm should have impressed most of the Midlands except the far west. Last year was generally much better, with thunderstorms being widespread and occurring on more days - especially towards mid-month. The map differences make it seem as if there were many more strikes last year, but the red icons are much larger than the blue crosses.

2015_7_LightningStrikes_Actual.gif2014_7_LightningStrikes_Actual.gif

August 2015 was the worst of the summer months for most of the Midlands (except the far west). There was very limited lighting activity across the region, and most of the strikes only came from daytime localised thunderstorms. August 2014 was much better across the region, as you can see from the maps below. The only exception was the far West Midlands.

2015_8_LightningStrikes_Actual.gif2014_8_LightningStrikes_Actual.gif

Conclusion

Summer 2015 isn't one to remember. It was a very average month overall, but with fewer thunderstorms than average. Hopefully autumn will be of more interest and hopefully will be less gloomier and more warmer.

Edited by xStorm

Posted

We really did get lucky with the sunshine in June round here didnt we? That and the August thunderstorm were the two redeeming features, and they both show up on the maps. That storm got exactly the places that missed everything in July, it saved the whole month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Think here was one of the lucky few in this region to have got something from both the July Plume and the August 22nd storms. :)

Posted

^ What a difference a few miles makes, 13.2c max!!! today with no sun but plenty of showers yuck.

Posted

Really enjoying this week, a proper first week to Autumn with lovely fresh air and sunny spells, hardly any rain either, such a relief after horrid muggy damp southwesterlies of July/August that went on forever.

Satellite suggests barely any sun across the country today. Extremely poor. No sun here.

Posted

Working in Stratford-Upon-Avon today, the morning had plenty of sunny spells but chilly though!

But as the afternoon progressed the cloud became more prominent with the odd light shower.

With HP moving in from the West the weekend and into Next week it looks much better for the sun to show it's self :)   

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

northerly winds are really bad, every morning tues to thurs, cheshire Gap streamer just missed here,  I always think huge chance of rain living here, Sunday will probably be wet due to cheshire Gap

Edited by Ilovethesnow

Posted

Working in Stratford-Upon-Avon today, the morning had plenty of sunny spells but chilly though!

But as the afternoon progressed the cloud became more prominent with the odd light shower.

With HP moving in from the West the weekend and into Next week it looks much better for the sun to show it's self :)   

Wouldn't bet on it, GFS an absolute cloud fest weekend, and to late now to catch sun after work weekdays :( what a disaster this year was, had to buy new bulbs for my SAD lamp already lol!!!

Posted

northerly winds are really bad, every morning tues to thurs, cheshire Gap streamer just missed here,  I always think huge chance of rain living here, Sunday will probably be wet due to cheshire Gap

Your on the wind-up again... when looking at the latest charts...Don't think so somehow!!!!

ECM1-72_mik1.GIF

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted

Wouldn't bet on it, GFS an absolute cloud fest weekend, and to late now to catch sun after work weekdays :( what a disaster this year was, had to buy new bulbs for my SAD lamp already lol!!!

No i wouldn't bet on it to be honest....just hoping that it will  :) 

Lol! want to borrow mine :laugh:

1971v9icf1xe8jpg.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Your on the wind-up again... when looking at the latest charts...Don't think so somehow!!!!

ECM1-72_mik1.GIF

not a wind up, Living here, a NW'ly flow, GFS has some sort of streamer setting up, your location will be dry, yeah, maybe even sunny

Posted

No i wouldn't bet on it to be honest....just hoping that it will  :)

Lol! want to borrow mine :laugh:

1971v9icf1xe8jpg.jpg

Hahaha thankgod still got a few days holiday from work later this month, definitely need a mini break to Spain or somewhere now my usual Indian Summer is a fail, looks dead cert for any nice weather to breakdown by next Friday  :nonono:  :nonono:  :nonono:

Posted

Conor, far too much uncertainty at this stage ? when you have an omega blocking scenario it can take awhile for the pattern to change and the HP it self is rather large don't you think :)