Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire - Weather Chat

Thunderbolt_

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Amazingly the gritters have been out. I guess it's because they've got good stocks and don't need to ration it as much.  Saw one poor sole who crashed at some point this early morning Police there and recovery truck.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Was lovely to get out in the cold air today and it feel like winter! AT LAST. Its just not been cold at all has it. Was great to see cold temps on the thermometer :)

Plenty of winter yet to come, so I hope we can squeeze out a 'proper' snowy spell!

Happy New Year everyone :D

Posted
1 hour ago, saint said:

Looks like we could be getting ever so closer to a cold spell late this week, early next week...

yeah i really hope so. definitely the best charts of the winter so far!! Its about time we got some cold and snow :)

Posted

Might get some brief frontal snowfall on Thursday won't be long probably reserved for the hills. The front may turn to snow on the back edge as well.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

Rain rain go away, send the snow I wanna play! Haha

fingers crossed for some of the long awaited white stuff. 

Heard some people on the school run this morning saying they can't wait until the summer! Come off it we haven't had a winter yet. Hopefully will be soon though! Everything crossed :) 

• Like 1

Posted

Some overnight rain into the morning, but dryer as the day progressed, and remained cloudy all day

Max temp 7.4C

Min temp 6.3C

Wind Gust 8.1mph Sou' Sou' Easterly

Wind Average 4.6mph Easterly

Rainfall 7.8mm

Barometer 986mb Rising

Posted

Some wintry potential

hirlamuk-42-46-0.png?06-11  hirlamuk-42-47-0.png?06-11hirlamuk-42-48-0.png?06-11

Charts for Friday morning above, this is probably the best case scenario, some models push the front further north including the snowfall potential. 

The EURO4 below isn't that far out yet 

16010806_2_0606.gif

Snow signal isn't as strong on the EURO4, though high ground could get lucky, BBC weather website showed snow for here so we'll see.

Edited by Cheese Rice
  • Like 3

Posted

A dry start with a touch of brightness mid morning. Rain and drizzle soon followed and continued throughout the day.

Max Temp 7.1C

Min Temp 6.5C

Wind Gust 8.1mph Easterly

Wind Average 3.6mph East Sou' Easterly

Rainfall 4.2mm

Barometer 993mb Falling

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms
9 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

Awesome charts this evening, hopefully in a week or so the yorkshire thread will be buzzing like back in 2010!

Fingers well and truly crossed, cold lovers deserve this! 

• Like 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, saint said:

How did Leeds do in 2010? A big if, but if the models continue, this could be my first proper winter in Leeds! 

I recorded a maximum depth of 10" but on a whole I was a bit dissapointed that we should have got more out of the set-up, we only had 2 different spells of snow that dropped the majority of that. A lot of the time it was dry or borderline snow/freezing rain that didn't accumulate, that moved down from the north. Yes I know it sounds crazy not to be delighted with 10" of snow but so many times over Nov/Dec/Jan we just missed out.

Most of the north sea snow showers affected middlesbrough up towards northumberland with yorkshire largely missing out whilst those places got burried, also there was that excruciating lake effect snow type band that set-up across sheffield/sbad word.horpe (dropping around 16 inches in one day) , that could have formed anywhere, but unfortanately just not over leeds.

I Did really enjoy that cold spell but for such a prominent greenland high and in november should have produced a little more. Did record a maximum temp one day of -9C though :)

Edited by Harsh Climate

Posted

i hear-by promise that i wont tell family or friends that there is potential for a cold and poss snowy outbreak next week as to not to jinx it all.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Well hello, haven't posted for well over a year, a few names I still recognise here and many I don't!  First signs of something colder on the horizon - tbh my levels of enthusiasm are at rock bottom... what a December it has been, must have been the warmest on record - a really crazy Winter so far.

I cannot see much in the way of Snow after this blow torch Winter to date - happy to be proved wrong!  My mind quickly thinks back to 2010 which was an exceptional Winter here in Grimsby, described as a 1-30 year event - I am not expecting anything equally wonderous any year soon.

Edited by djrikki

Posted

Great charts tonight huh! :D  what a day in the model thread, I couldnt keep up with the pages today lol.

Great buzz about the place though and I really hope we do well out of this. We should do, Yorkshire is usualy far enough north to get snow.

I hope to be sharing lots of snow pictures with you all by this time next week lol, but of course fingers crossed for now!!  :p

Posted
1 hour ago, Harsh Climate said:

I recorded a maximum depth of 10" but on a whole I was a bit dissapointed that we should have got more out of the set-up. We only had 2 different spells of snow that dropped the majority of that, a lot of the time it was dry or borderline snow/freezing rain that didn't accumulate, that moved down from the north. Yes I know it sounds crazy not to be delighted with 10" of snow but so many times over Nov/Dec/Jan did we miss out.

Most of the north sea snow showers affected middlesbrough up towards northumberland with yorkshire largely missing out whilst those places got burried, also there was that excruciating lake effect snow type band that set-up across sheffield/sbad wordhorpe (dropping around 16 inches in one day) , that could have formed anywhere, but unfortanately just not leeds.

I Did really enjoy the spell but for such a good greenland high and in november should have produced a little more.

Ha! That wasn't what I wanted to hear!  But I'm sure this set-up will be/is different! 

Plus having lived in Hertfordshire, I don't think I'd mind 10 inches! 

• Like 1

Posted

Wow wow wow I've followed the Model thread for many years and today was crazy couldn't keep up with the buzz from the up coming Cold spell!  It's great to see the snow pictures coming in hopefully the next few weeks will be something we will remember for a long time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

I think us Yorkshire based coldies should be pretty happy with our lot by this time next week.

Is it too much to ask for a repeat of the 14 inches we had in 2010 before the month is out?!  :cold:

• Like 1