Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

classic HC...loving the pic...let's hope some of us see trotter prints in the white stuff this weekend and I will not mention the sausage again...

Thought the thread would be busier....

• Like 1

Posted

Nice to have you back... Too wit too woo

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Geez it's quiet in here where is everyone?

Drookit taking the dog out again. Really wet after a slightly drier interval around 9am, now pouring down!

Christmas cake making today I think.

Charts look full of chill for fri night into the weekend, I wonder if we'll catch a snow flurry?

Edited by snowy owl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Yesterday's rain stopped just to the South of here yesterday so we escaped that one. Not sure what we'll get today, there's some patchy stuff around but it doesn't look as if we had too much overnight (didn't check the rainfall on my weather station this morning). Even if it's largely dry, it's very grey and dull with light winds and around 6.5C.

As for the coming cold spell, precipitation forecasts seem to have dropped off somewhat. By the looks of it at the moment this area may be one of the few to see falling snow, mainly from northerly showers. With any luck it'll change and be a bit more widespread.

Yesterday's rain stopped just to the South of here yesterday so we escaped that one. Not sure what we'll get today, there's some patchy stuff around but it doesn't look as if we had too much overnight (didn't check the rainfall on my weather station this morning). Even if it's largely dry, it's very grey and dull with light winds and around 6.5C.

As for the coming cold spell, precipitation forecasts seem to have dropped off somewhat. By the looks of it at the moment this area may be one of the few to see falling snow, mainly from northerly showers. With any luck it'll change and be a bit more widespread.

There should be some decent shower activity, at least in the north of the country you should see something. Some very cold air around on Saturday in the NE, 850 temps at -10ºC and 500 temps sub -40ºC so the potential is there considering how relatively warm the sea is at the moment.

The models are picking something up overnight into Saturday morning, running down the east coast:

ukprec.png

nmmuk-1-72-0.png?18-06

nmmuk-21-72-0.png?18-06

post-2844-0-66683200-1447842856_thumb.gi

Sorry for the random chucking in of charts, but I'm being lazy!! :D

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

Yup could be chilly chilly but dry dry dry...be keeping an eye on updated fax charts nearer the time for any interesting features.. I agree snowy it's quiet for November

• Like 1

Yup could be chilly chilly but dry dry dry...be keeping an eye on updated fax charts nearer the time for any interesting features.. I agree snowy it's quiet for November

I think the charts I chucked in to my edited post may have answered the question about potential for interesting features :)

Posted

More Rain. Can't really catch a break lately

Saying that a clearance is incoming on the horizon from the west. Can see it

Edited by NUT

Posted

Some Mammatus clouds heading east after the rain cleared through Glasgow. I know the windows need washed!

Looking forward to some dry & cold weather this weekend. It will make a pleasant change.

post-11598-0-20276500-1447848572_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Afternoon all! Had some horizontal rain on the way back from Portree a wee while ago. Patches of blue sky beginning to peep through. Currently 9.8c but looking at those charts it looks like it'll be minus 9 by the weekend! :cold:  And the central heating is still not working!!! We had hot water coming through the system on Sunday which gave us some hope.... but it was silly to get our hopes up! However, the cavalry will be arriving on Saturday ( or so I am assured! ) as the OH just can't pinpoint the problem. Thankful that we have a wee stove in the kitchen and an open fire in the sitting room, so we won't exactly freeze, but it would be comforting to know that we had heat through the rest of the house and wouldn't have to worry about burst pipes! Stay cozy folks!

Posted

Hoping that's the rain clearing for a bit. Didn't think it could get any heavier at one point. Looking forward to seeing some action at the weekend possibly but our ground here is so wet. Everything is crossed!

Posted

Regarding snowfall for the West of Scotland I can already 100% predict the future and that is we will get no snow again lol ok as long as it's dry and cold (who am I kidding) :)

• Like 1

Posted

Looking forward to the weekend and hopefully it being dry! Some frost and blue sky would be brilliant. No chance of even seeing a flake here given the likely setup but I'd be happy for the wind and rain to simply bugger off for a bit! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Driving wind and rain right now. Just a tiny bit vile

Yeah I drenched again today. Soaked before my 2nd cuppa.  Eased off now.

So.... will it snow, and on who?

Posted

So.... will it snow, and on who?

I think the NE of a Scotland is in the firing line for most of the snow showers and perhaps some persistent snow aswell. I wouldn't rule out some inland parts of Aberdeenshire and possibly Moray could potentially end up with accumulations of at least a few inches in places. As for elsewhere, exposed areas such as the north and west coasts should see some wintry showers. Away from Aberdeenshire, Moray, the north/west Coast and possibly some parts if the east Coast/borders, snow showers will probably be very hard to come by but at least we'll get some proper cold, fresh, clear northerly air for the first time this season with some pretty cold uppers and hopefully some crisp early winter sunshine and the first proper widespread frost this autumn. Although this cold spell may appear rather unremarkable, the Synoptics are very decent for the time of year and you'd expect a set up like this to occur in NI ember every few years or so.

I'm not expecting much success for snow reaching the central lowlands but it'll be worth keeping an eye out for some features in the northerly flow. This cold snap will be gone by the start of next week and perhaps some quite messy, transistional weather could prevail for a while. The NH set up to my untrained eye looks quite interesting/unique with the current prominent Siberian and then an emergence of high pressure centred around Alaska. It's hard to predict what the repercussions - stemming from the current tropospheric set-up along with various other factors and variables - could entail for the first part of December and beyond and I suppose the uncertainty and volatility has played its part in the absence of winter forecasts this year. My thoughts to the end of this month and into early December is that we'll see lower heights around Greenland or our quadrant of the hemisphere which would herald an active, unsettled period of weather with potentially stormy but changeable conditions. Temperature wise it could still be quite cool with the possibility wintry interludes but this remains to be seen. I suspect in December we'll be seeing quite a few named storms.

Edited by A Winter's Tale

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Hmm, second evening at n a row where the temp has started to climb between the times I've got home from work and late evening. Unusual.

The rain did make it this far today, but a mere 1mm recorded, that's since midnight so I'm not sure if that full 1mm was this afternoon or not. It was heavy in Dyce for a time, but short lived,and cleared to patchy blue skies before it got dark.

Posted

I think the charts I chucked in to my edited post may have answered the question about potential for interesting features :)

You certainly produced the answers...teach me to start a reply and finish it later without looking at new posts :) in saying that not far enough inland for my liking #imby

Edited by edo

well no wonder this 'storm' wasn't named, it's not a storm, it's just a breeze

You want a storm? :) The ECM has cooked up an utter howler, I'd actually prefer this not to happen despite my love of storms:

post-2844-0-47457300-1447887494_thumb.gi

It's a long way out at +192hrs but you never know.

Posted

You want a storm?  :) The ECM has cooked up an utter howler, I'd actually prefer this not to happen despite my love of storms:

attachicon.gif18th Nov ECM 12z +192hrs.gif

It's a long way out at +192hrs but you never know.

Hi, Polar Vortex. *waves* 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy

Is that not a goid thing? The PV sitting there i mean.Or atleast for coldies