Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Came south down the A9 from Thurso to Tore late afternoon into early evening today, so fading daylight into darkness.  Dry in the north, very wet from about Dornoch south.  I drive this part of the A9 regularly these days.  Drivers must wise up that summer conditions have finished for the year - increase your stopping distance, check tyres, screen wash levels, leave a bit more time for your journey.  There's been a rash of accidents in the north recently - don't add to the statistics!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning all! After several days without internet connection (thank you BT!), we are back online. I have spent many hours on the phone to them and I know I am not alone. The service to the Highlands and Islands, no matter who your provider is, is truly cr*p! I'll be looking for a refund from them, as our current internet speed is....wait for it....a massive 0.95G. Wowsers. Not! I have to laugh at those ads on the telly that promise you 4g. Ahahahaaaaaaa! Not a chance up here! Anyhoo, another damp, dreich and murky day ahead. Anemometer being moved toady to a higher fence post, just in time for the arrival of Abigail. Still no central heating yet despite a new time clock, new thermostat and the clearance of a lot of muck from the boiler. It fired up yesterday and for all of five minutes we had warm radiators, then it cut out again and we are back to square one. Himself will have a consultation with his friendly local heating engineer and will have another tinker up in the loft tonight to see if he can solve the problem. Fingers crossed! Best get everything tied down outside today and charge up some batteries, just in case!

• Like 2

Posted

A quieter start to the day at least. Whether it will stay quiet all day is another matter

Posted

A quieter start to the day at least. Whether it will stay quiet all day is another matter

It was the same here but of course it was never going to last. Pouring again for a time, another 3mm and oh by the way it's the 8th day with rain in a row. Just for fun I was asking people round when it'd been the last time they'd seen the sun and all I was was puzzled faces. Well I can tell you we haven't seen it for the whole of the current month! 

T 10 degrees AND first sleet symbol on Metoffice for Friday. Finally! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Was actually dry for a while this morning  :shok: Now back to dark, grey and wet.

See we have an amber warning for the Highlands & Islands and a yellow warning for pretty much everywhere else in Scotland for thursday into friday. Lets hope these winds bring a change in this damp & grey spell we have had.

Posted

Another dull, damp day in what has been an exceptionally gloomy month. Despite the shorter and darker days the persistent damp and mild conditions looks and feels like mid October rather than mid November. Sure, it's pretty autumnal but it feels like we have been a few weeks behind schedule throughout the autumn weatherwise. Atleast conditions familiar to the time of year will arrive at the end of the week with much fresher air. The BBC actually has a snow symbol for friday morning. It's nice to see but highly unlikely to happen - and if snow were to fall across parts of lowland Scotland it would be a real bonus so early in the season. I think Friday will be a real shock to the system but a needed one to inject some activity into Our weather and the chill should act as the first reminder or indicator of nearing winter.

• Like 2

Posted

A fresher day today with excellent visibility but feeling more normal for the time of year. Just over half the ploughing done , ground better to plough now its a bit damper. Currently clear and 8.5c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

MistyQueen - I can imagine!

My mum and stepdad were always like "we love that house" (there is a house in the valley of the southern uplands, like 1,000ft down from the road and totally isolated) and I always think

- no internet

- Intermittent sky connection

Unbelievable poor and erratic signal

No thanks!

My current house Is pretty useless too. We used to get 0.5mb per second download speed. I'd always lag out on the Xbox, used to go mental.

Now we are at the dizzy heights of around 3 thanks to BT which is bareable....

Weather wise - shocking. Atrocious. Horrendous.....

Need I go on?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

We just caught the tail end of a squall line passing over.   34.9mph gust out of nowhere.   Torrential rain and a crack of thunder too.   Appears to have stopped just as soon as it started.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Is it just me thinking the Met office are over-egging this one?  Fair enough for the west, north-west and north coasts, it'll be bad, but elsewhere?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Feeling raw windy and be very wet but nothing remarkable for most of us

#hibernationover

Is it just me thinking the Met office are over-egging this one?  Fair enough for the west, north-west and north coasts, it'll be bad, but elsewhere?

Unless they can see something which isn't showing on the other models, then it's massive overwarn. Time will tell. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt on the first proper warning of the season?

Is it just me or does the orange part of the warning look a little suspect? Like the Tango Man's wibbly wobbly boy bit?

Posted

On a more nowcasting note, anyone has noticed how a relatively modest-looking line of ppn has become a massive lump that spans from Braemar to the Central Belt? Amazing weather that you get here, so much more exciting than that of my hometown, Barcelona!   

And thus we carry on with the rainy theme. We have had rain on every day since the 4th of the month and we had dense fog before, so the sun has been largely absent, and noticeably so too. Burns, streams and the Devon alike are raging. In fact, the Devon has gone up by 50cm in the last 9 hours, which does show for the heavy rain we enjoyed over the afternoon/early evening, its most glorious and final moment being the squally line that sent us up to 30-odd mile an hour gusts out of nowhere, to quote a fellow Fifer from the previous page. 

In Menstrie this has accumulated 9.7mm that add up really nicely make a monthly total of 53mm, which make for a good spell of wet weather. The best bit is the chance of some hail over the early weekend and the spell of heavy, prolonged rain that is coming on Sunday. In fact I do not get why there is so much fuss over 'Abigail' and so litte about a feature that could mean some serious flooding in prone areas considering the departing stage of saturation we are already at. 

As I type this message, the rain has become rather intense and noisy. Let´s see what the Devon is like in the morning and especially over the next few days.

Good night! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Well,that was an interesting night! Hail, thunder and lightening and then the clearest of skies and bucketsful of stars! That was nice while it lasted. Mild here just now, calm and raining. I await the arrival of Abigail and wonder how much damage she will do! Need to trim the wicks on my oil lamps, check supply of batteries, make sure candles and tea lights are close to hand. Better tie as much down in the garden too, put stuff away in the sheds etc. Ach well, it may not turn out as bad as predicted, at least, I for one hope it won't! Catch ya'll later!

• Like 1

Posted

Aha - time to dust off my winter login and get back on the saddle.

I'm like the Hairmeister, can't shake the feeling it's a case of the MetO over warning us of what's maybe coming.  Better that than say nothing and watch the carnage after #bawbag2 rips though the country.

I do think however, that Glasgow and the west are going to get rain like we've not seen in a while....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Calm before the apparent storm this morning. Dry and kind of overcast but had a chillier feel at around 5C at 8am. I'm also in the 'potential overkill' camp on the warning, especially the Yellow, which covers a huge area. We're in the Yellow but the forecast seems to be for 20mph sustained and a brief period where gust max out just under 50mph. Windy no doubt, but I'm sure we've seen worse than that on occasions without warnings being posted.

Too keen to get the 'first named storm'? Anyway, I thought the criteria for naming was that it would generate an orange warning. Well I'm sure it was officially named hours before any orange warning was released.

Aha - time to dust off my winter login and get back on the saddle.

I'm like the Hairmeister, can't shake the feeling it's a case of the MetO over warning us of what's maybe coming.  Better that than say nothing and watch the carnage after #bawbag2 rips though the country.

I do think however, that Glasgow and the west are going to get rain like we've not seen in a while....

Here's the rainfall accumulation out to +48hrs on the Euro4:

15111400_1200.gif

Nowt more than drizzle compared to some soakings the west can get.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Here's the rainfall accumulation out to +48hrs on the Euro4:

15111400_1200.gif

Nowt more than drizzle compared to some soakings the west can get.

Some of that will be snow, so won't enter the river systems as quickly, reducing the immediate flood risk.

Posted

Hail the newest weather station set up in Scotland! On top of Dollar Academy, Dollar, Clackmannanshire. It will be added to the Scottish Network and the WOW as soon as we can. So happy it was just installed prior to Abigail. Let the fun - and the comparisons with Kinross and Menstrie - commence! 

Have a pleasant day everyone :) 

post-21112-0-43180300-1447331341_thumb.j

• Like 5

This morning's ECM, waw at +216hrs and +240hrs:

post-2844-0-53795300-1447332227_thumb.gipost-2844-0-86173000-1447332225_thumb.gi

post-2844-0-75387300-1447332231_thumb.gipost-2844-0-49535300-1447332229_thumb.gi

Well, maybe not that waw, but certainly better than 850s at +5 or more :)

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

Some of that will be snow, so won't enter the river systems as quickly, reducing the immediate flood risk.

But a lot more rain (and snow-melt) to come over the weekend from ex-Kate