Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps Spring/Summer 2015.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

This country is blessed to have high pressure dominated days in June with many hours of blue skies and temps in the high teens. Many places around the world would be baking in such conditions. Here we can work outdoors throughout they day. Loving this weather cd these temps. ..

Having said that, I will be treating myself to a trip to Brittany, France soon. A bit like a warm Cornwall but with an extra hour of daylight in the evening.

Edited by BlueSkies_do_I_see

Posted

Apologies for the question, still learning. Am I right in saying that any rain next weekend in the SE would be in the form of showers rather than frontal rainfall (as currently modelled of course, not that all are in agreement!).

Anyone brave enough to make a forecast would be appreciated - have 27 blokes asking if they need to pack waterproofs for golf!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Apologies for the question, still learning. Am I right in saying that any rain next weekend in the SE would be in the form of showers rather than frontal rainfall (as currently modelled of course, not that all are in agreement!).

Anyone brave enough to make a forecast would be appreciated - have 27 blokes asking if they need to pack waterproofs for golf!

too far off as theres great uncertainty. itll be clearer by thursday?...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

The strong sunshine and clean air is indeed lovely at the moment. Could we now get rid of the howling wind that has been blowing pretty much every day since March? Does Beaufort F1-5 not apply to the UK anymore? Some CALM sunny days would be great!

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

The strong sunshine and clean air is indeed lovely at the moment. Could we now get rid of the howling wind that has been blowing pretty much every day since March? Does Beaufort F1-5 not apply to the UK anymore? Some CALM sunny days would be great!

surprised down there, wind has been a pain in the ass this far north, windiest spring for years, at least it seems

• Like 1

Posted

why are people so hung up on temperatures?... they arent expected to be seriously below average, and theres far more to a pleasant summers day then mere temps alone.

temps are no indication of air quality or sun strength, both of which feature commonly in moans about summer (humidity - cant breathe, overcast/bright skies = poorer weather then clear blue even though overcast can be warmer).

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

surprised down there, wind has been a pain in the ass this far north, windiest spring for years, at least it seems

Yes, think everywhere in the UK has been very windy. It hasn't stopped for weeks and weeks, a near constant howling wind from all directions. Very tired of it now, must be even worse up N and W!

why are people so hung up on temperatures?... they arent expected to be seriously below average, and theres far more to a pleasant summers day then mere temps alone.

temps are no indication of air quality or sun strength, both of which feature commonly in moans about summer (humidity - cant breathe, overcast/bright skies = poorer weather then clear blue even though overcast can be warmer).

Yeah air quality is good and sun strength high currently, beats stagnant polluted overcast muck anyday.

Edited by Eugene
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Many people in eastern and even central parts of the UK will probably disagree with that statement though, north easterly winds bringing plenty of cloud, temperatures a good 5/6C below normal by day with occasional light showers which the shallow convection could squeeze out. very very poor, at least western areas should escape with some spells of sunshine.

By the looks of it the transition away from this will likely be back to a cool and unsettled pattern be it from the north west again or straight from the north with any warmer weather being unlikely to make it across the English channel.

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted

Many people in eastern and even central parts of the UK will probably disagree with that statement though, north easterly winds bringing plenty of cloud, temperatures a good 5/6C below normal by day with occasional light showers which the shallow convection could squeeze out. very very poor, at least western areas should escape with some spells of sunshine.

By the looks of it the transition away from this will likely be back to a cool and unsettled pattern be it from the north west again or straight from the north with any warmer weather being unlikely to make it across the English channel.

true, the dreaded north sea stratus which im prone to in my location. but currently theres not much northeasterlies predicted viewing the runs as a whole, so that aside.......  :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Hate to sound silly, but the 12z really is a wrist slitter! I mean below freezing 5 days from the solstice, come off it!!! Even France sees temperatures potentially getting near to freezing!

Hope these runs are as wrong as what they were a week or so ago!!

• Like 1

Posted

Had to laugh (slightly crazily) looking at the 12z....I mean, really. Could be one of the coldest and most miserable Junes of my lifetime if that verifies! Wish I was off to Spain next week instead of at the end of the month. Of course, this means July will be 30C+ every day with regular storms.....I can but dream lol.

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Why are people moaning about this weather? Cold? This is the absolute perfect summer weather, absolute. I've sat in the garden with shorts and a T-Shirt on this afternoon, had a few beers with mates, had some food on the BBQ and relaxed. Sure, the breeze when it gets up is a little chilly, but I've come back in with a bright red face and neck. I will be able to sleep tonight in these temps, I will be able to cut the grass tommorrow, have a walk, grab an ice cream, head out for a game of football without A) Frying from too much sun B) Dehydrating myself in drenching humidity. 

Why would anybody want it warmer than this? Do you want to sleep at night? Do you want to be physically drained through heat because you can't move without sweating? How can that kind of heat be anything but a hindrance to everyone - especially the elderly and young? Not only that but heat makes your entire day more stressful, especially in a big city commute. 

Enjoy what's unfolding infront of you - it could have thrown down all day today and instead, we have a few keyboard warriors moaning away at a bright sunny Saturday - hint > You may enjoy the sun and outdoors more if you leave the computer chair you're have your weeble planted on for more than 5 minutes.

Beers up everybody! 

beer-in-the-sun.jpg

• Like 7

Why are people moaning about this weather? Cold? This is the absolute perfect summer weather, absolute. I've sat in the garden with shorts and a T-Shirt on this afternoon, had a few beers with mates, had some food on the BBQ and relaxed. Sure, the breeze when it gets up is a little chilly, but I've come back in with a bright red face and neck. I will be able to sleep tonight in these temps, I will be able to cut the grass tommorrow, have a walk, grab an ice cream, head out for a game of football without A) Frying from too much sun B) Dehydrating myself in drenching humidity. 

Why would anybody want it warmer than this? Do you want to sleep at night? Do you want to be physically drained through heat because you can't move without sweating? How can that kind of heat be anything but a hindrance to everyone - especially the elderly and young? Not only that but heat makes your entire day more stressful, especially in a big city commute. 

Enjoy what's unfolding infront of you - it could have thrown down all day today and instead, we have a few keyboard warriors moaning away at a bright sunny Saturday - hint > You may enjoy the sun and outdoors more if you leave the computer chair you're have your I have a problem planted on for more than 5 minutes.

Beers up everybody! 

beer-in-the-sun.jpg

11 hours of raging wind and 8c no beers here matey ......
  • Like 5

Posted

Enjoy what's unfolding infront of you - it could have thrown down all day today and instead, we have a few keyboard warriors moaning away at a bright sunny Saturday - hint > You may enjoy the sun and outdoors more if you leave the computer chair you're have your I have a problem planted on for more than 5 minutes.

Beers up everybody! 

beer-in-the-sun.jpg

15C here today with lots of cloud and strong winds. I'd "enjoy the sun and outdoors more" if it actually bothered to stay out for more than five minutes. Does that make me a keyboard warrior? Can't move without sweating? Might happen to you whenever it gets above 20C but very rarely happens to me in this country. And getting sunburnt is nothing to be happy about, especially if you can't actually enjoy the warmth in the process.

Good for you if you can enjoy these synoptics but I can't. They're just too crappy.

Edited by AderynCoch
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Today was windy and cool - it peaked briefly at 16C, before the cloud enveloped the sky, and it rained briefly this afternoon. If you were out and about in a T-shirt and shorts, you're hardier than myself and most others because nearly everyone I saw today was wearing trousers and jackets. Some were even wearing large winter coats. You can get sunburnt in the middle of March - that doesn't say much. Haven't had a BBQ at all this year nor do I know anyone who has - haven't had the whiff of cooking burgers, that's for sure. Why? Because to most ordinary folk, it's too cold. Why do you think the overseas tourism industry is so popular? Because our summers are so unreliable and cool - and people are desperate to get away from here, even if it's just for a couple of weeks, to enjoy some actual summer weather.

Even if the sun was shining all day, who the hell cares? If it's 14C with a strong breeze making it feel more like 10C then that's hardly the epitome of summer - more like October. Nobody else in the rest of the world would consider that summer - only a few weird people in the UK would consider that acceptable summer weather. Go to Spain and they will laugh in your face, as they drink and eat long into the night as temperatures remain pleasantly warm.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I must admit that while i would like weather more akin to early in the coming week, we have some potentially interesting synoptics upcoming. As a weather fan i found the likes of 07 and 12 very interesting and will hopefully see some interesting rainfall and temperature totals. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I just don't understand how people can sit with a straight and say that they actually like this weather. It's utterly absurd and I refuse to believe it. Are these people fat or something? The only people I know who wilt and die when it gets above 20C are fat and out of shape.

• Like 5

Posted

I just don't understand how people can sit with a straight and say that they actually like this weather. It's utterly absurd and I refuse to believe it. Are these people fat or something? The only people I know who wilt and die when it gets above 20C are fat and out of shape.

I don't think anybody is complaining about 20C, mainly 25C+.

Do people not like spring. Essentially the same weather (not that this is a preferred synoptic of mine). 

Posted

I'm neither fat or out of shape, but I still prefer this type of weather rather than scorching hot and humid as many seem to prefer it.

I'll grant you that a little warmer than it currently is would be nice, but 20 to 21C is my max comfort level.

• Like 4

Posted

Have to agree with most. In my opinion, the weather down here has been absolute garbage apart from the odd decent day here and there. I absolutely pity those who live up north, I don't think I could tolerate endless days of 12 degrees and overcast in May/June.

I've only managed to go into work once so far this year without wearing my winter coat in the morning (Friday just gone) and I can't believe the summer solstice is just two weeks away and we are looking at temps being close to freezing overnight:/

The wind has been another issue. It's been constantly breezy which has made it feel even cooler. I wouldn't be so bothered about the 17-18 degrees if there wasn't a biting wind all the time.

Absolutely cannot wait to sod off to France later in the year and hopefully get at least one week of actual summer

• Like 4