Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England & East Anglia - Weather Chat >> 1st Feb Onwards

Paul Sherman

Posted

Yep, I agree with nearly everything you said here Daniel. Just not sure about a historical cold spell before the end of the decade? Only four more winters to go, so the odds are against us. But time will tell. But one thing's for sure, I don't know how the BBC weather presenters would come up with new superlatives if it did happen. I mean, they overhyped the latest "cold" spell. So I don't know what words instead of "bitter" they could use, if it really was bitter.

On the news I heard the following: "coldest spell for 5 years" not quite sure what she was drinking! I just have a good hunch, sun is going to turn more quiet but who can explain 2010? unlikely gem... It was one night howling N'ly and it did feel bitter, 2m temp was about 3c however in the wind it felt like -5c. Not quite sure whether it was hyped it was on this forum, even I ramped it up to no avail, I feel like slapping myself lol.

Edited by Daniel*

Posted

I would call it as a very average winter so far. Nothing more, nothing less.

Really looking forward to Spring though !

Average 'modern' winter :-)

I had a good flavour today and it beats cold groggy concrete skies.

In Spring/Summer time I look for thunderstorms, MCS ect. I still have the winter mindset with me. This usually goes by the second week of March it is simply too early for it to be clear and cut to the chase. I do not like humidity however it is bearable when it delivers the goods, I enjoy Spring for its freshness.

Edited by Daniel*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

One things for sure. I can't wait to be viewing some exciting Thunderstorm prospects, hopefully with Estofex level 2's cropping up this summer! Hope this summer is as good as the last one but with August seeing some better imports this time. We can only hope!

Posted

It's about 6 degrees colder than the BBC are forecasting for T+0 hours right now! Feels like we're back in the recent cold spell with temps down to -3 but should pick up again to above freezing. 

Was a really nice day today too didn't need a coat and the sun felt warm-......ish.... !

From twitter - Perth, Australia very impressive.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Daniel is that one lightning strike?! It's a great picture 

Posted

Really? All the Weather Underground stations close to Reading are about 2 or 3C at the moment. Which station are you looking at?

Edited by Crepuscular Ray

Posted

It's about 6 degrees colder than the BBC are forecasting for T+0 hours right now! Feels like we're back in the recent cold spell with temps down to -3 but should pick up again to above freezing. 

Was a really nice day today too didn't need a coat and the sun felt warm-......ish.... !

Daniel is that one lightning strike?! It's a great picture

Indeed there looks to be numerous - would love to experience something on par.

Not so cold here 3C, Northolt @ 5C strangely & Benson at -3C quite a harsh frost.

Posted

While things are pretty average I thought it would be ideal to share with you all -

2009/2010 regional threads once thought lost in time have been found in the abyss. :)

Thank Weather-history known as Kevin to many of you it will bring back nostalgia, how times have changed.

WH: They are available, read them recently, on the Weather Discussion forum. 98 pages back

https://forum.netweather.tv/forum/1-weather-discussion-and-chat/page-98?prune_day=100&sort_by=Z-A&sort_key=last_post&topicfilter=all

Edited by Daniel*

Posted

Morning All,

4 degrees at 5am this morning and nice and clear in Southend, feeling almost spring like

Cheers

FC

PS  the wife said it was -2 is SW France when she went out this morning

Posted

Really? All the Weather Underground stations close to Reading are about 2 or 3C at the moment. Which station are you looking at?

Yep I was looking at the Benson station close to here, which is a real cold spot, but very strange because High Wycombe not so far away was 3 degrees. Should have mentioned it was Benson I was looking at sorry! 

Posted

From twitter - Perth, Australia very impressive.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

That is a stacked Image, easy to do on free to use software.

Did one a few years back in Woodward Oklahoma, if you have a very active storm pinging out clear air Cg's in front of the rain curtain and get about 20 decent shots all in the same area without moving your tripod you can overlay them easily

post-24-0-06234900-1423565629_thumb.jpg

Or if you want to get really ridiculous then try this - Plainview (Texas Panhandle)

post-24-0-42460900-1423565678_thumb.jpg

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

Fascinating how at the end of last week it looked set in stone (from all the models) that we were due for "weeks and weeks" of boring high pressure dominated weather. it now seems, just two or three days later, that the outlook looks somewhat different. Not that it currently looks any good for cold and snow down here but just shows how quickly things can change.

I still feel that there's time yet for a "sting in the tail", albeit the opportunity has probably passed for a serious deep freeze lasting weeks and weeks. No problem, a good fall of snow that doesn't hang around for ages a la March 13 or April 08 will more than suffice!   

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Dull and cloudy here, very little worth to say about the weather today.

I want the sun back please 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

Is this winter over , you'd think so wth the comments coming from the mods and lack of inspiration in here ... If it is please someone tell the sun to warm me up cos its still relatively cold..

The weather has gone into boring mode and I for one am looking forward to some warmth now if this is all we are gonna get this year from a cold fan prospective.

Posted

UKMO is rather interesting at day5 nothing especially cold, /edit according to Nick S -5 850s are in place for SE/EA we may get something less wet more white would be marginal, continental influence towards the east.

With slight positive height anomalies over Scandinavia...no deep cold is in place but the sort of synoptic sustained you'd expect a growing cold pool to develop over the Netherlands. T144 low sinks SE, leaving us in a chilly N/W flow, not far from a proper scandi high, establishing however the jet is not being amiable.

post-19153-0-43898000-1423587066_thumb.jpost-19153-0-23090800-1423588002_thumb.j

Edited by Daniel*

Posted

Yep I was looking at the Benson station close to here, which is a real cold spot, but very strange because High Wycombe not so far away was 3 degrees. Should have mentioned it was Benson I was looking at sorry! 

Benson is well known for being a cold spot in this region. Rickmansworth in Hertfordshire ( 3 miles from my location ) is also well known for it's very low temperatures due to being in a frost hollow. Unfortunately the Rickmansworth weather station stats are no longer recorded/reported.

Posted

No worries. In my experience, High Wycombe's not the warmest place around either. Last time I was in that neck of the woods -17 January, when it snowed at about 9 a.m. - more snow had settled there than in Rickmansworth

Posted

That is a stacked Image, easy to do on free to use software.

Did one a few years back in Woodward Oklahoma, if you have a very active storm pinging out clear air Cg's in front of the rain curtain and get about 20 decent shots all in the same area without moving your tripod you can overlay them easily

attachicon.gifStartrails.jpg

Or if you want to get really ridiculous then try this - Plainview (Texas Panhandle)

attachicon.gifPlainview0106.jpg

Paul S

Hi Paul,

Nice collection you have - how can you tell? I hope to see similar scenes in the UK, one day! :rolleyes:

Since you are fairly knowledgeable in this field Is there a reason why the US has such bouts of severe storms compared to the likes of S England? it is all bigger out there, including their waistline. :p

Posted

Hi Paul,

Nice collection you have - how can you tell? I hope to see similar scenes in the UK, one day! :rolleyes:

Since you are fairly knowledgeable in this field Is there a reason why the US has such bouts of severe storms compared to the likes of S England? it is all bigger out there, including their waistline. :p

Hi Daniel

The reason it is a stacked image as opposed to a long exposure is the crispness of the shot, there would be quite some blur if the cameraman left his shutter open for probably a few minutes to get the above shot, if for instance he takes 20 x 0.15 second exposures with a faster ISO Speed he could then stack them and get the crisp images.

Second point, the only way we can get shots like that in the Uk is from Elevated T-Storms above the boundary layer which tend to be really active lightning producers (Esp Cg Lightning)

The reason the US Gets much more severe storms than the Uk is down to the Continental landmass as opposed to our Maritime Climate, the Set-Up of Tornado Alley is also unique with perfect ingrediants in place. Warm Sea to the South with SST's around 26c, The Rockies to the West with super cold air flooding down from the west and north-west and a desert to the south west pushing in dry air, the Jet Stream in Spring usually resides across the Plain States and even if that heads North into Canada the Southern and Central Plains can get affected by the STJ (Sub Tropical Jet) which can be a nice back up plan.

Storms spin easier over there simply as they interact with the Jet-Stream, Supercell heights generally range around the 30-55kt range whereas our storms average around 15-20k in the Summer. Cape is also abundant over there with 4,000jkg quite normal during May and June, I have chased a set-up with 9,000jkg of Cape which is not nice, you can taste the atmosphere. The US Also gets a lot of WAA Storms which are always elevated, these we dont chase as they are usually high lightning and hail producers and very rarely produce Tornadoes only if they become Surface Based from initially being elevated, we also dont go anywhere near MCS Systems but again use them if we want some Lightning, it is common for us to bust through (drive) and MCS To get to our target and await surface based storms.

Hope that helps!