Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England & East Anglia - Weather Chat >> 1st Feb Onwards

Paul Sherman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Can't wait for tonight's disappointment, that'll make what, 5/6 so far this year alone?

I'm really trying not to be pessimistic, but chasing "light snow" really isn't all that exciting. Also, can we split the thread off? Fed up of seeing people in EA reporting snow only for it to turn to sleet or rain South of London.

Edited by Daniel Smith

Posted

Not entirely north of the M4, showers will come far inland. Ranging from a dusting to 1-3cm. Wash streamer could outclass all, in December 2009 I think some parts got a foot!

post-19153-0-00653900-1422903342_thumb.jpost-19153-0-60181700-1422903354_thumb.jpost-19153-0-30788600-1422903365_thumb.j

Posted

based on what Steve?........radar & modeling suggest otherwise

Experience :)

Showers  unlikely to make it further down this way

I missed the 'I' from the start of my previous post you quoted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

Extreme coastal kent id agree with the warning, further in land then no

You need to look at the radar, which disproves that already.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers, Cold Winters.

Snow has arrived, already a slight covering.

We are opposite ends of the Peterborough section of the A47 Dave, it is heavy here now but small flakes and no covering just yet.

Posted
  • Location: Currently Southminster, Essex (but original home town Northampton)
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow/Blizzards in Winter, Cool Summers. (I'm allergic to heat)!
  • Location: Currently Southminster, Essex (but original home town Northampton)

Temps still falling away nicely here.. -0.7c, DP -3.1.

If anything does fall from the sky i can't see it being anything other than snow tonight.

Posted

Well I think this is the most confused I've been with any winter spell.

We've got BBC National forecasts, regional forecasts and BBC weather online (although they're generated from UKMO data I asumme) all saying something different.

Plus the NMM precip and Euro4 plus others showing differences for tonight.

Just shows the perils of forecasting snow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Has been very noticeably much colder these last few nights. I hope we are rewarded this winter with some decent snow to make up for it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Ramp ramp ramp ramp from Look East weather for Wednesday.

Indeed, your namesake was very positive.  I wonder whether my namesake (the reason for the "nottheforecaster" part of my user ID) would have forecast the same situation for Wednesday?

Posted

You need to look at the radar, which disproves that already.

You can tell from todays rain radar that places in the SE shall get 2-5 cm of snow on wednesday?!

Ok Einstein :)

Posted

Can't wait for tonight's disappointment, that'll make what, 5/6 so far this year alone?

I'm really trying not to be pessimistic, but chasing "light snow" really isn't all that exciting. Also, can we split the thread off? Fed up of seeing people in EA reporting snow only for it to turn to sleet or rain South of London.

No! No! No! I like us all together it has worked for many years. :nonono:

Posted

Has it? I recall the two regions being split up into separate threads every year when it gets busy?

Posted

To be fair, it is normally split up during winter down in this thread! (Usually 3 Counties + EA, and then into South East.) 

So, I don't know about the many years bit.  :wink:

Posted

Indeed, your namesake was very positive.  I wonder whether my namesake (the reason for the "nottheforecaster" part of my user ID) would have forecast the same situation for Wednesday?

Can anyone elaborate what was said on Look E as I rarely watch BBC forecasts these days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

You can tell from todays rain radar that places in the SE shall get 2-5 cm of snow on wednesday?!

Ok Einstein :)

Why the aggression? I just pointed out the radar showing snow showers penetrating well inland and travelling south without breaking up and, indeed, intensifying.

If you want to go but 'feels' rather than facts then go ahead but most models are indeed showing 2-5cm in areas of the south east.

Very confusing yes.. So do you take one opinion which goes yeah whole south east good dusting perhaps some 2-4cm falls on hills and lucky places..

Or

Not much very slight dusting in places.. Showers not moving very far inland...

My opinion...

Get that radar on, chill out wait and watch.. See what happens nice cold beer or hot chocolate what ever you prefer.. Stick on a film..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow and photographically interesting weather

Central Peterborough, snow falling, steady, fairly small flakes - but providing a covering, and for the first time this winter, they are settling on the ground without it melting in any way - temps now 0.7c and falling since the snow started and DP -2.3c up since snow started.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

I was getting slightly fed-up of people in the SE doing the exact opposite - last week, when I had a dusting of snow, I was reading SE members saying things like "dry for all of us" forgetting that the thread included people from north of London.  I honestly think that, if we make sure not to ignore what's happening in the other half of this thread area, there shouldn't be any need to separate it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

I'm just wondering whether I will beat the record for laying snow  IMBY this winter, tonight. Half a mm up to now. :clapping: 1.1c and clear at the moment.

Posted

Reports of smaller flakes show for the first time in two years things aren't actually marginal

Posted

As im expecting much of the fun and games to continue through the night im dashing off till 10pm.

I will finally add forget about model output for tonight. Already showers are more extensive and pushing further inland than I or the models expected. At this rate I can even see London getting a covering.

Posted

Why the aggression? I just pointed out the radar showing snow showers penetrating well inland and travelling south without breaking up and, indeed, intensifying.

If you want to go but 'feels' rather than facts then go ahead but most models are indeed showing 2-5cm in areas of the south east.

You are talking about tonight now? The original post i replied to was about Wednesday

Posted

Reports of smaller flakes show for the first time in two years things aren't actually marginal

Indeed, and will more often than not give faster accumulations. I don't think most people realise that the bigger the flakes, the more dangerous the situation is ( In terms of the snow staying as snow).