Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

There we go, sorta backs up what I said about wintry ppn in many areas. Although, I disagree with Dorset being under one though, it makes my map look a joke! :laugh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

You'd be gutted if you lived in the thin strip between the 2 warnings.   :D  :D

Yea hah...but I'd imagine any snow tonight will still be quite patchy in nature? :(

Posted

I'd take an inch of snow, better than nothing mate.

Yes very true! Met office precipitation forecast does show a weakish band coming down 0300hrs onwards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Yep - get some sleep now everyone! Haha!

Posted

These metoffice warnings are a bit of a joke really - I mean 1-2cms for our region - does this really warrant a warning. Seems like they issue a warning whenever there is the slightest chance of a snow shower

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

I've taken screen shots of what the meto radar predicts for midnight and 3am. Will see if it's right later on!

Posted

These metoffice warnings are a bit of a joke really - I mean 1-2cms for our region - does this really warrant a warning. Seems like they issue a warning whenever there is the slightest chance of a snow shower

I understand your point but the yellow is to "be aware"

Even if snow accumulations are minimal, ice could still be more of a threat, which is included in the warnings.

Edited by Chris K

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

Really!!its 6c here!

Fromey

Why is it everytime snows forecast it never happends down here.Lets be honest how often does it actually happen.Most of us havent seen snow for at least a year.Meaning everyone gets excited over a 3 minute shower which never even close to covering the ground and it goes off a few minutes later,or even if it does it melts within a hr or so of it falling.Whatever happen to proper snow where it snows for hours and when its fallen it sticks around for a few days.Its getting beyond a joke now every slight chance and yep u guessed it it dosent happen really frustated...............

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Just to note, many of you in this region stand a better chance tonight/early hours due to lowering WBFL and colder uppers moving in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

The grandparents round the corner who get up stupidly early even on weekends said there was some wet snow falling first thing. Since then just a brightish chilly day, but again, 5C after a minimum of 1C is just standard January fare. Really want this cold spell to just arrive now!

Posted

Spot the difference. Just updated again :laugh:

About an hour ago:

post-15172-0-07258500-1422708009_thumb.p

Now:

post-15172-0-24478400-1422708032_thumb.p

May as well just put it countrywide surely? Even if some areas might only suffer with ice.

Not convinced will see anything next week guys this cold spell is a total joke temp is 6c at night its 0.5c then for some reason it starts going up during the night to around 3c we dont even get a frost.Next weeks weather will be mainly sunny with a wintry shower if were lucky same as any of the last cold spells we had ,if u can call em that lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Not being negative but how many times have we heard this so far in the last few weeks about snow for our region only to either miss or rain every time instead, so take warning with pinch of salt as fickle weather will change so much. Don't blame M.O or IF though as they are trying their best , Snow and thunderstorms are notoriously difficult to forecast!!

Hope I'm wrong though on this occasion and it does fall as lice the snow as does my 4 yr old lad. If it does 1cm is all we need for bit if sledging as long as we can find smooth surface and short grass!!

Fingers crossed everyone!!!!!!

Posted

I understand your point but the yellow is to "be aware"

Even if snow accumulations are minimal, ice could still be more of a threat, which is included in the warnings.

Fair enough but they might as well just issue a general 'be aware' ice warning for the whole of the uk covering the next 7 days - its winter and it gets cold at night so nothing that exceptional !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

Just seen pictures from a friend in Princetown. Very white and still snowing up there. However, there has been an accident on Plymouth Hill going into the village so avoid if you were thinking of taking a trip up there!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

So it was a waste of money then based on your last sentence. Fantastic lol

I don't think it'd be possible to even build such a radar anyhow but you never know, those real time reports, i.e. social radar reports can also help but it is what it is I guess.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Not being negative but how many times have we heard this so far in the last few weeks about snow for our region only to either miss or rain every time instead, so take warning with pinch of salt as fickle weather will change so much. Don't blame M.O or IF though as they are trying their best , Snow and thunderstorms are notoriously difficult to forecast!!

Hope I'm wrong though on this occasion and it does fall as lice the snow as does my 4 yr old lad. If it does 1cm is all we need for bit if sledging as long as we can find smooth surface and short grass!!

Fingers crossed everyone!!!!!!

spot on dude many times forecast how many times does it actually happen...almost 0.I have to laugh at the comming cold spell next week.When u know damn well for us in the sw it ll be cold and sunny most days and frost at night with the odd slim chance of a snow shower if were lucky..some cold spell eh lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

Agreed. I'm sorry, but a forecast that mentions the possibility of 1 - 2cm of snow - and translates that into a yellow snow warning - is a bit of a joke. I could understand a warning for ice with plummeting temperatures - but a snow warning about 1 - 2cm???