Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Weather Chat

Thunderbolt_

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Well from what I've seen tonight from the GFS there are some pretty good snow chances for many next week as it stands

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temps under 25 degrees and Disruptive Heavy Snowfall any other time

Well from what I've seen tonight from the GFS there are some pretty good snow chances for many next week as it stands

Even us Wirral coastal peeps?!?

Posted
Yes I don't want to blow the trumpet for inland Cumbria but we do look primed for some intense snow showers - the fells will aid the intensity and evaporative cooling, shouldn't be any marginal conditions. Penrith should do preety well I think as well. Not a day to be out on the fells, -24 windchill forecast

As I'm zig-zagging backwards and forwards

over the fells doing school runs,work ect. Need to make sure my car heater is on full blast then. -24 wind chill is brrrr!! Mind that's assuming I get out of the village and up on the fell in the first place.

Posted

Hi Damian.. I have to travel from Troutbeck Bridge to Seatoller at the top end of Borrowdale tomorrow morning and return at 5ish, what do you think of my chances of getting there and back..?

Chris..

Hi, mmm it could be a very tricky drive in the evening, Dunmail Raise and Thirlmere could see some drifting snow.. I'd be very cautious.. but the snow may not start falling to any great depth until you get back.

Are you planning a fell walk, be warned conditions could be abymal with a high windchill factor. I go walking regularly and would be put off going high tomorrow..

Posted

Are you planning a fell walk, be warned conditions could be abymal with a high windchill factor. I go walking regularly and would be put off going high tomorrow..

Ha ha, I wish, no i'm working up there. 

Posted

GFS 18z certainly looking good for the NW.

All eyes on the radar tomorrow night and into Thursday.

post-14390-0-58086300-1422398426_thumb.j

post-14390-0-09051800-1422398440_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

GFS 18z certainly looking good for the NW.

All eyes on the radar tomorrow night and into Thursday.

That is much better than the dogs dinner of EURO 4!! :)

Posted

Evening folks how are we all.

I'm (excited), for this snow event aha.

I think once the wind swings round from W to WNW on Thursday AM, the showers will push from Oldham past Manchester and into Buxton.

I'm hoping they will stick around for a while on Thursday. I still think Greater Manchester, at least below 100 meters will see 1-3cm, early Thursday. Away from there, a patchy 2-5cm for places like Chadderton, Bolton. And 5-15cm for above 200 meters, perhaps 20cm for a few isolated spots. Some pretty low visibility to. As for the Southern extent of showers, this is pretty uncertain although I do think it will align in bands maybe as far South as Crewe, lighter South of there. But heavier North of say Wilmslow at least before Thursday day. A wintry mix below 250 meters, saying nothing more ;) ;)

I would go along with that assessment though I'm not sure whether any showers will turn less wintry Thursday PM as predicted by some of the model output, IMO things still look quite favourable for snow inland away from coastal regions.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow and over the next few days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

What does the EURO 4 show?

This

post-8968-0-84211900-1422388593.gif

Its quite rubbish TBH.

Edited by pip22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Im at 56m ASL and 12miles from the coast, and I struggle with snow.

Posted

I just cant get excited about this so called cold blast. Last time we had the falling snow in our area but it didn't stick (im in woodley, east stockport), i have a feeling that it will be the same, and if it does stick it wont be around long. Hey love to be proved wrong, as i love snow, but it was ramped up to the max last time, and then i just felt completely and utterly let down. 

Posted

This

post-8968-0-84211900-1422388593.gif

Its quite rubbish TBH.

Thank you and I agree that's rubbish for much of our region.

I guess it factors the above average SSTs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunshine and thunderstorms. Mild in winter.

Everyone, just wait and see what happens tomorrow night and into Thursday rather than looking at a load of projected charts and getting either incredibly disheartened or over-excited. Yes, we may very well be highly dissappointed and just end up with rain, with snow confined to the higher ground, but conversely we may take an absolute pounding and be left with a very memorable snow event...

We will know what happens tomorrow... not tonight.

Edited by Scott R

Posted

Everyone, just wait and see what happens tomorrow night and into Thursday rather than looking at a load of projected charts and getting either incredibly disheartened or over-excited. Yes, we may very well be highly dissappointed and just end up with rain, with snow confined to the higher ground, but conversely we may take an absolute pounding and be left with a very memorable snow event...

We will know what happens tomorrow... not tonight.

If we can't discuss what the models are projecting then what shall we do? Maybe talk about football?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

The most thing im worried about tomorrow is ppn, i hope im not stuck in a dry gap as usual!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunshine and thunderstorms. Mild in winter.

If we can't discuss what the models are projecting then what shall we do? Maybe talk about football?

No I didn't say that at all. People are getting far too disheartened/over-excited by what they are showing. By all means discuss what the models are showing, but don't let one model run direct your emotions.

Posted

No I didn't say that at all. People are getting far too disheartened/over-excited by what they are showing. By all means discuss what the models are showing, but don't let one model run direct your emotions.

Fair enough.

You know what that chart suggests don't you?

What does it suggest?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

What does it suggest?

Drip. Drip. Drip. Drip. Drip.   Certainly not saying it will pan out like that but its a possibility, im turning into you now, the eternal pessimist!!!

Posted

I think in this set up for late Wednesday afternoon & overnight in to Thursday will bring a lot of heavy snow showers to a lot of the region perhaps merging together to give longer heavier periods of snow throughout the night just like December 2010 on the night of the 17/18th. But that's just my opinion.

EDIT: The amber warning for heavy snow that night was only issued at 5pm Friday evening only 3 hours before the snow event began. Just worth keeping in mind.

Edited by SnowLover2010

Posted

The cold was entrenched on the 17/18th December 2010, the air was sourced direct from the Arctic and switched westerly over the UK. Now we have colder air travelling over a huge swathe of the N.Atlantic getting mixed out in the process, struggling to mix down to the lower levels of the atmosphere, essentially diluting it.

Regardless the wintry showers will still be very interesting, intense bursts of hail, sleet, wet snow, thunder and strong winds. Accumulations of snow widespread though temporary in nature, melting inbetween showers, slushy deposits up to about Manchester then high ground seeing deep accumulations. High ground Manchester looks ideal.

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted

"I don't understand it?!?!...The models all predicted snowmagedon in the Northwest!!!"

post-14390-0-68281000-1422403745.jpg