Model Output Discussion - 23rd Jan - 12z onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

And look what it brings a mild sector!

gfs-1-120.png?12

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

And look what it brings a mild sector!

gfs-1-120.png?12

Well a less cold sector might be more accurate. Given its origin anything to the East of it would be all snow and maybe to the West of it too.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot summers; frigid winters; golden fall; bright spring

Is this a second low coming in from Iceland on this run?

http://images.meteociel.fr/im/2793/gfs-0-102_rud2.png

Mucka beat me to it!

Looks like it so if the first doesn't get you......With both lows in the airstream it shows how unstable it is and surely there will be imbedded troughs to follow, interesting time early next week

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

So it's not a Polar low......

Why not? it originates over Iceland. The less cold air is being dragged in around from the West off the Atlantic as it moves South. 

• Like 1

Posted

Why not? it originates over Iceland. The less cold air is being dragged in around from the West off the Atlantic as it moves South. 

Polar Low's do not have warm sectors...... O that's my understanding....... Surley it's just a regular feature..... 

• Like 2

Posted

Polar Low's do not have warm sectors...... O that's my understanding....... Surley it's just a regular feature..... 

Personally I don't mind how it is defined but it forms in cold polar air and could be a decent snow event depending on the track. Of course it may not be there on the next run and be a moot discussion anyway.  :)

Meanwhile the big picture.

gfsnh-0-150.png?12

The cold spell was over at this point on the models just a couple of days ago.  :clapping:

Edited by Mucka

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

I think there's some misunderstanding - The low showing up on the GFS for early next week isn't a polar low, it's just a weak shortwave/low pressure system. The low currently to the North-West of Scotland moving SSE could probably be classified as a Polar Low, though perhaps not in the true classic sense, it certainly isn't far away from one.

Out to T150hrs on the 12z GFS and high pressure looks a little better orientated towards Scandi compared with the 06z. Either way, remaining cold to at least the middle of next week.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

Just thought I'd illustrate the development of the Fax charts for Midday today from T+120 through to T+0:

post-992-0-86834100-1422548522_thumb.pngpost-992-0-96312000-1422548520_thumb.pngpost-992-0-93369200-1422548518_thumb.pngpost-992-0-98337400-1422548516_thumb.pngpost-992-0-12115000-1422548515_thumb.pngpost-992-0-93901600-1422548512_thumb.pngpost-992-0-93720500-1422548510_thumb.pngpost-992-0-93941000-1422548508_thumb.pngpost-992-0-99036900-1422548528_thumb.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, stormy

Much as I dislike quoting IF - he is calling it a polar low, and if an official forecaster and an FRMetS is, then I will too! This is exactly the kind of meso scale event that are not picked up by the models.

• Like 2

Posted

So, the UKMO, where?

• Like 1

Posted

UW120-21.GIF?29-17

UN144-21.GIF?29-17

Thanks. So a little flatter than GFS but not terrible. 

Maybe ECM will bring some fireworks.

Edited by Mucka

Posted

A long way to go for the mid-term solution to come into focus although I still don't see it being this morning's GEM solution, unfortunately. Much will depend on the modelling of the low and lobe of vortex north of Newfoundland early next week.

post-6751-0-59343000-1422550556_thumb.gipost-6751-0-06076600-1422550680_thumb.gi

Posted

This mornings gem is consigned to the bin in the short term.

It was never a starter with no other op support at such a short timeframe.

I will get shot down for this but I haven't seen any polar lows on any models. That will generally be because they tend to form at short notice and are not picked up by the nwp at more than a day or so out. A low that forms over the polar field can clearly be called a polar low but it's not in the classical definition .

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Where are all the comments on the GFS 12z - hardly none! must say it all then?!?

Posted

I will get shot down for this but I haven't seen any polar lows on any models. That will generally be because they tend to form at short notice and are not picked up by the nwp at more than a day or so out. A low that forms over the polar field can clearly be called a polar low but it's not in the classical definition .

Looking through the GEFS at 150 hours I wonder if that comment may come back to haunt you! :p

Edit: Not saying it 'will' happen, but its a very brave man indeed that disregards a big easterly at this point.

Edited by Jason M
  • Like 5

Posted

Where are all the comments on the GFS 12z - hardly none! must say it all then?!?

Because everyone is the regionals discussing them.

Many have also chosen the option to just ignore them until next week at least as there is plenty of interest between there and now.

• Like 1

Posted

Yes the GEMs cunning plan appears to have gone the way of the pear. As for the polar low there is some debate whether this was modelled or is just a feature that has appeared on satellite imagery, from what I gather the MO think it is a PL.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Currently Southminster, Essex (but original home town Northampton)
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow/Blizzards in Winter, Cool Summers. (I'm allergic to heat)!
  • Location: Currently Southminster, Essex (but original home town Northampton)

GEFS out to DAY 7 and quite a few decent Easterlies now starting to appear  :D

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_panel.php?modele=0&mode=1&ech=162

Edited by SE Blizzards
  • Like 3

Posted

Anom at T168

gens-21-5-168.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

Looking through the GEFS at 150 hours I wonder if that comment may come back to haunt you! :p

Edit: Not saying it 'will' happen, but its a very brave man indeed that disregards a big easterly at this point.

About 25% with a 'proper' easterly. same sort of percentage for a more northerly or north easterly direction. Others with a slack flow or, god forbid, one isolated member with a north westerly.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

It says that it's snowing in many places and people are in the regional threads. Guildford just got hit by a heavy hail to heavy snow event that covered us over white in less than five minutes. That is what you mean when you refer to 'says it all' I presume?

The models themselves are as they were; cold spell extended, we await detail of potential further snow events in the coming days.

Sorry wasn't being sarcastic just seemed very strange with so few comments - and GFS 12z isn't that fantastic after the mid-term with Atlantic making slow inroads later next week, but doesn't surprise me generally the most progressive of the models.

UKMO looking better for somewhat of a continental feed say after 4/5th.