Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 23rd Jan - 12z onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

If we could just get a more north east feed rather than a n/nw shown in the models everyone would be in for the fun!

• Like 1

Posted

UKMO not bad at all - reasonable amplification

UN144-21.GIF?27-17

Crumbs that's close to a 3 way split in the polar vortex! That would help us go into the freezer!

Also, the upper trough over Scandi is not properly connected to other parts of the vortex - I think this means it might be slower to clear off to the north...?

Edited by rjbw
  • Like 7

Posted

So far this evening the GFS is quicker to flatten the ridge, mainly due to shortwave issues. The UKMO is far better but theres a big difference in the NH profiles especially towards the polar regions between the two.

In terms of worries regarding the UKMO bringing the low centre further west at T96hrs, looking just at the 850 calculation, I've taken the mid range 980 value and with the 510 dam and that comes to roughly 850 value of -5.9.

At T120hrs between -6 and -8, at T144hrs the -10 850 does get into the UK, these are just rough calculations using the chart posted by Lorenzo a few days back.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

The UKMO has the trough further West and in the short term we want it to be further East to limit warm sectors.

The GFS is a little further East than this morning.

We want to keep the core of the trough and any secondary features to the East of the UK. The warm sectors will pass through Friday/Saturday with the prospect of any snow showers turning to rain or sleet in this period but the devil will be in the detail.

Colder air digs back in as the trough pulls away and showers will be more likely to turn back to sleet/snow

Edited by Nick L
Deleted quote removed
  • Like 4

Posted

Its completly dead in here... does that mean the charts have downgraded.... i can't really tell as i am a newbie and no one is commenting ahha

No steady as she goes, sometimes it just goes quiet the calm before the storm . :D

UKMO 12z is a beauty, the PV is in tatters following MO model it looks far from zonal SW'lies.

• Like 6

Posted

No downgrades whatsoever! ! Gfs still toying with thr length of the cold spell and could lengthen it further!! Ukmo is brilliant expect the low to disrupt even more at 168 hours near greenland! ! Hopefully ecn shows the same!!

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

GFS control has some nice trough disruption, hope this becomes a strengthening signal.

gensnh-0-1-168.png

We will need further upstream to be slower and more amplified to benefit than currently modelled but the potential trough disruption ahead has only just crept into the output so it is not a forlorn hope. We certainly need the signal strengthen before we can get excited though.

GFS short ensembles still going for a breakdown 3rd/4th and a 7 day cold spell is still the form horse. At least the Op and control want to extend the cold a day or so.

graphe3_1000_251_76___.gif

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Can someone point me towards the regional threads, e.g. the one for the south east?

All regional threads can be found here:

https://forum.netweather.tv/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Looking at latest models I don't think an awful lot has changed today. UKMO at 144 is a solid chart(if I knew how to post it I would but pc skills are  limited lol!!) and the odd tweak here and there will make a massive difference down the line. As "rjbw" said earlier this chart does show the PV nearly split in 3 and with a High pressure approaching the North Pole and the High over the Atlantic, it wouldn't take a lot for those to link up. This is something Joe B I think alluded to last weekend and it will interesting if this pans out. If they do link up that could form a nice block. Just my thoughts and I look forward to another evening of model watching :)

• Like 6

Just seen the charts for the first time today, {so didn't see this morning outputs} and things look pretty good.

The theme of turning colder quickly over the weekend looks a bit steadier now.

That is after the cold front being sleet and snow showers in about 24 hrs time.

Edited by J10
  • Like 2

Posted

In the short term we have no upgrades or downgrades just standard modelling as they get to grips with the small details, this will keep changing right up to zero hour, although no doubt some will see things that way from an IMBY prospective

Overall and at long last this winter the UK is on the cusp of a decent cold spell but longer term there is much to resolve.

1. Will the high topple setting up a MLB over the UK This seems to be odds on at the moment.

2. Will it topple and let the Atlantic back in, not showing in the modelling at the moment except in the far reaches on the GFS and after a period of MLB. Certainly little sign of a topple and a straight return of the Atlantic, so I would put that as the least likely mid range plus evolution at this stage.

3. Can we keep the lobe of the PV far enough west to allow HLB to develop over Greenland, also, not showing as yet as the models seem keen to shift it east. but I would say slightly more likely than 2 at present although history would say otherwise.

Edited by weather eater
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

EURO 4 12z is out..

post-15543-0-89689600-1422381498_thumb.g  post-15543-0-81467300-1422381513_thumb.g

post-15543-0-00802200-1422381551_thumb.g post-15543-0-33728000-1422381561_thumb.g  post-15543-0-69734800-1422381627_thumb.g

Edited by Mark N
  • Like 4

Posted

The UKMO has the trough further West and in the short term we want it to be further East to limit warm sectors.

The GFS is a little further East than this morning.

We want to keep the core of the trough and any secondary features to the East of the UK. The warm sectors will pass through Friday/Saturday with the prospect of any snow showers turning to rain or sleet in this period but the devil will be in the detail.

Colder air digs back in as the trough pulls away and showers will be more likely to turn back to sleet/snow

Yep very typical isnt it really, as I say, there will be a milder sector occuring during Friday(although PPN wise, there probably be less so no real harm there) but we really don't want that trough to hang around our shores for much longer, the further East the better and its typical that the UKMO is backing down now in this respect. Stll time for some minor changes in what is important crucial detail I feel.

At least we are seeing some upgrades in terms of the strength of the Atlantic ridging especially from the UKMO.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

GFS control has some nice trough disruption, hope this becomes a strengthening signal.

gensnh-0-1-168.png

We will need further upstream to be slower and more amplified to benefit than currently modelled but the potential trough disruption ahead has only just crept into the output so it is not a forlorn hope. We certainly need the signal strengthen before we can get excited though.

GFS short ensembles still going for a breakdown 3rd/4th and a 7 day cold spell is still the form horse. At least the Op and control want to extend the cold a day or so.

graphe3_1000_251_76___.gif

Good post .

I noticed the first signs of trough destruption yesterday I think ? But yes there's certainly a possibility with such a deep euro trough it would encourage high rises to our North west, just depends on the strength of the high pressure , and of course the strength and angle of the low pressure exiting the vortex over Canada . If we can hold the low pressure back just 24 hours then it gives the high pressure chance to build north of the uk . If the low can disrupt against the high , then that massively increases our chance of extending the cold , if she goes under the high and cuts it off the it could be all sorts of fun and games!

• Like 3

Posted

Wow - UKMO 144-!!!!!!!

Where did the EPO- ridge appear from !!!!!! Surprised no one has noticed-

UKMO !

attachicon.gifUKMO144JAN.gif

GFS

attachicon.gifGfs144Jan.jpg

The UKMO would certainly slow the eastward progression down due to the 2 wave pattern being progged.- the UKMO is the best run thus far-

S

I noticed Steve but because I found no support I thought I'd pretend it wasn't there. Tbf, mucka posted it earlier.

• Like 8

Posted

A band of snow moving down the east on day 4-5 on the ECM with the very cold uppers penetrating south behind it

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2015012712/ECU0-120.GIF?27-0

-9c in the north chasing the -6c line that's exiting the south.

Dewpoints subzero everywhere-

516 DAM thickness touching Shetland

520 DAM in the NE

524 DAM in the South.

all parameters condusive to snow.

S

I assume those factors would work in our favor aslong the winds stay off shore because any winds coming in off the sea will sure affect whether snow will fall or not no matter what those figures say?

I still rather sacrifice any longer outbreak of PPN for a nice clean Northerly flow which will bring the proper cold air and ensures any PPN does fall should be of snow.