Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 23rd Jan - 12z onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

not overly concerned this morning certainly no blow torch sw flow showing.

and either we get better ridging like the gem which i might add i choaked on my tea what a beauty.

anyway gem is not a model of choice for me performance wise.

noticable thing is all the models show progress towards high pressure over the uk but what it also shows is that a rinse and repeat looks likely id say perhaps a week of high pressure still fresh and chilly but then a rerun of what we have been getting since after december so perhaps a return to polar air then arctic and maybe with strat forcings a pacific activity better chance of a block most likely to our north eas!

t the point id like to make is the lower heights to our south would be better to keep that risk of an ne or easterly flow if heights retrogress to scandi area.

so lets hope the lower heights stay dominant in europe to our south.

but i agree very swift breakdown showing but the signs where there on lastnights infact yesterdays runs.

so its no suprise we still have something to look forwards to hopefully i get to see a snowflake this year.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

GEM 00z is an upgrade on the 12z last night, superb run choc full of wintry weather. I'm looking forward to the Arctic blast, the fax chart for noon Monday shows a clean and bitterly cold flow from the arctic..Nice :-)

post-4783-0-11453200-1422520830_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-30019000-1422520890_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-49379400-1422520902_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-32321600-1422520910_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-01897800-1422520927_thumb.jp

• Like 8

Posted

Unfortunately the GEM stands alone and if it comes off I may have to start believing in the super natural. However the changes from the big three happens really early into the run and it is similar to last night output, so maybe that gives it some credibility. Then again none of the big three have shown any sign of backing that evolution at any stage.  I want it to be right but I feel it's a wild goose chase, can anybody remember the last time it trumped the GFS, ECM and UKMO at 96-120hrs.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The Azores high is no friend of mine, I'm happy to say the models are continuing to lengthen the cold spell, only a few days ago it looked like it would all by over by 0z Monday but that was premature, most of next week looks very cold with a risk of snow showers and with widespread hard frosts, especially over the many snow fields..The first nationwide spell of wintry weather for a few years.

• Like 8

Posted

18z flicked the op with the milder members:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-01-29 at 05.10.11.png

But the 0z has reverted to the op back below:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-01-29 at 06.23.44.png

But it's closer to the mean and there is a fair bit of support for it. In fact those ensembles are a slight improvement.

ECM is interesting at T120:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-01-29 at 06.28.15.png

But there are problems with the uppers at the key time:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-01-29 at 06.28.47.png

As with the last slider, the angle isn't great, nor the preceding temps. Colder air briefly is pulled in behind but that's after the bulk of the precipitation has passed.

All models are now pointing to a breakdown next week. It looks like it's just a question of when rather than if, and whether it's via a toppling high or straight back to the Atlantic. I'm favouring the latter from upstream signals and ensembles, but we'll see.

In the short term we should make the most of what we have. There are some marginal issues with the upper air temps leading to rain and sleet at lower levels especially in the south, particularly this weekend when it will actually be a little milder with temps close to average, but for those who see snow fall, and hopefully settle, enjoy it:   :cold:  :)

A fair post. With regards to the ensembles there has been a big switch to cold overnight. Look how far the mean drops in medium term on the ensemble charts you posted and a large cluster of colder solutions.

• Like 4

Posted

Unfortunately the GEM stands alone and if it comes off I may have to start believing in the super natural. However the changes from the big three happens really early into the run and it is similar to last night output, so maybe that gives it some credibility. Then again none of the big three have shown any sign of backing that evolution at any stage.  I want it to be right but I feel it's a wild goose chase, can anybody remember the last time it trumped the GFS, ECM and UKMO at 96-120hrs.

GEM does also have a decent degree of support within its ensembles. There is a lot of scatter but there is enough support for an easterly for it to be considered a coherent signal. Coupled with some support in the GEFS its well worth watching.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: crisp frosty days in Winter

If I understand this correctly the Ensemble members have modified starting conditions for each member of the set to promote divergence, is that correct? The main point I think being to promote a spread of solutions, if the spread is wide and varied then that provides doubt on the main model solution, but if the spread is tight and not very divergent then that implies that the operations solution is along the right lines. Not an expert but from what I have read in the last few years that seem to be to way these sets are analysed. Do the Ensemble set have the same alteration to each member in their starting conditions every run?

There are deterministic models and statistical models, again if I understand correctly the deterministic models are the operation models and they solve a set of fluid dynamic equations to predict surface flow and other conditions. However, I wondered if the statistical models have "a priori" information added in the form of historic outcomes for similar situations and they use a set of Earth Science equations to measure the deviation from the mean of any outcome. I am familiar with this type of model in the Earth Science area where the a priori knowledge is the "Ground truth in my terms" and is used to calculate the probability of an particular pixel belonging to a set of similar values. The main difference being that in the Earth Sciences satellite example the pixels are measurement of the spatial reflectance of an area on the ground measured in a particular wavelength from a geostationary satellite and in the weather model the pixel would be the value of a cell within a 3 dimensional matrix. Sorry for the questions I am trying to understand the basic working of the weather models in terms that I understand Earth Sciences satellite analysis.

Edited by EastAnglian
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

Something from IF on the SW Regional Thread re the small Low slider early next week.

It's all still very marginal next week with developments Mon-Tues. An awkward rain v snow situation depending on track, scope of deepening and phasing with diurnal cycle. ECMWF-DET remains at the extreme end of solutions (offering disruptive snow W Mids/parts of W Country/S-Central England) but with discernable move of UKMO-GM towards the *broad* scheme of things; i.e. trend to pull the low centre a bit closer to SW UK. EC 00Z ENS continue to offer a fair range of solutions, including deeper centres running further to E; equally many are much less developmental. For now, we continue with a low (30%) PROB of something unfolding akin to EC DET outcome. Rest assured it's a key point for our attention into medium range, with constant re-assessment at Ops Centre. We will keep you fully updated via BBC forecasts but I do urge suitably cautious acceptance of hyperbole or any attempts (for now) at deterministic forecasts re snow/areas affected/etc etc. We are a way off getting to that level of forecast confidence or detail.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

i dont get it....

im uncertain why the tv people are downplaying snow chances for most of the uk when we have charts like this

post-2797-0-88340400-1422524692_thumb.gi

surely theres huge potential there for alot of people to get snow, but the tv bbc forecasters are only talking about coastal areas exposed to the northerlies as getting any?...

• Like 9

Posted

If I understand this correctly the Ensemble members have modified starting conditions for each member of the set to promote divergence, is that correct? The main point I think being to promote a spread of solutions, if the spread is wide and varied then that provides doubt on the main model solution, but if the spread is tight and not very divergent then that implies that the operations solution is along the right lines. Not an expert but from what I have read in the last few years that seem to be to way these sets are analysed. Do the Ensemble set have the same alteration to each member in their starting conditions every run?

There are deterministic models and statistical models, again if I understand correctly the deterministic models are the operation models and they solve a set of fluid dynamic equations to predict surface flow and other conditions. However, I wondered if the statistical models have "a priori" information added in the form of historic outcomes for similar situations and they use a set of Earth Science equations to measure the deviation from the mean of any outcome. I am familiar with this type of model in the Earth Science area where the a priori knowledge is the "Ground truth in my terms" and is used to calculate the probability of an particular pixel belonging to a set of similar values. The main difference being that in the Earth Sciences satellite example the pixels are measurement of the spatial reflectance of an area on the ground measured in a particular wavelength from a geostationary satellite and in the weather model the pixel would be the value of a cell within a 3 dimensional matrix. Sorry for the questions I am trying to understand the basic working of the weather models in terms that I understand Earth Sciences satellite analysis.

There is no historical data its pure climate science mathematics and yes I think the same set of starting conditions are run, remember these are global models so trying to work from historical data from all over the world would be next to impossible.

Edited by weather eater

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!

i dont get it....

im uncertain why the tv people are downplaying snow chances for most of the uk when we have charts like this

attachicon.gifbrack2a.gif

surely theres huge potential there for alot of people to get snow, but the tv bbc forecasters are only talking about coastal areas exposed to the northerlies as getting any?...

.........pretty much nothing down the centre of the country from this as shown in latest forecasts and GFS 

54-574UK.GIF?29-6

Posted

i dont get it....

attachicon.gifbrack2a.gif

Probably a mixture of uncertainty (have always found snow forecasting here to be a bit more nowcast, more so these days, bar vague statements. Warnings pop up later) and past experience with northerlies which tend to end up being quite dry by and large. This one looks a bit more disturbed than the usual type when you look at that chart but the end effect could be still relatively dry for places

Overnight models not bad at all for cold deep in to next week. Any release is going in to um bongo land where a mix of solutions are progged. Worth bearing in mind also the temps seen on the tv are max city temps. Day and night out of the towns you can subtract a couple of degrees, if not more. Don't see anything truly exceptional but in the north this could be a reasonable winter overall. Northern Ireland have done better than usual with all these northwesterly bursts. I strongly suspect and this is hinted at in paces that even if we do see a let up in a week or sos time, we will see another go at this pattern following on within a matter of a few days, and deeper in to February is usually not an active period in the Atlantic comparatively speaking so lots of interest I think going in to the back end of the winter period. Fine by me. Not seen too much heavy rain this winter which makes a nice change

• Like 1

Posted

GEM does also have a decent degree of support within its ensembles. There is a lot of scatter but there is enough support for an easterly for it to be considered a coherent signal. Coupled with some support in the GEFS its well worth watching.

Well we can live in hope but some ensemble support doesn't mean much, there is support of other options as well, I would have a lot more faith in the GEM if it had some other operational support. Remember the operational is the models best guess, the ensembles are just a guidance for the operational they are not alternative forecasts as such.

Edited by weather eater

Posted

Incredibly difficult for the MO, small synoptic changes are making big differences in precipitation, will it won't it, amounts and type they will keep their cards close to their chest so as to give the best advice as soon as they are sure.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

GFS sinking the Euro trough very quickly allowing heights to begin to rise to our north east

gfs-0-144.png?6

Certainly a chance of backing the winds north east or even easterly later.

GFS interpretation of Mondays event, a little further east this time

gfs-0-102.png?6

• Like 3

Posted

Incredibly difficult for the MO, small synoptic changes are making big differences in precipitation, will it won't it, amounts and type they will keep their cards close to their chest so as to give the best advice as soon as they are sure.

Indeed and the nature of showers means the difference between seeing precipitation and staying dry could be a matter of only a mile or two.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Come on, you can do it...

gfsnh-0-174.png?6

• Like 7

Posted

The 06z certainly making the call early next week v difficult to call as alluded too , looks like mET thinking is low 30% prob at wider snow South come Tuesday

Posted

.........pretty much nothing down the centre of the country from this as shown in latest forecasts and GFS 

54-574UK.GIF?29-6

Same sort of chart as Tuesday with large central belt getting nothing.

post-21413-0-51509500-1422527919_thumb.p

post-21413-0-24570800-1422527920_thumb.p

Edited by Weegaz
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

54-574UK.GIF?29-6

Yes nothing at all.... The point is that precipitation wise nothing is certain so don't look too far or be selective in thye precip chart you use. - look at the band nr Manchester presently

post-4523-0-45044500-1422528257_thumb.gi

post-4523-0-47505200-1422528265_thumb.gi

post-4523-0-59141500-1422528309_thumb.gi

post-4523-0-12618100-1422528317_thumb.gi

post-4523-0-86679100-1422528322_thumb.gi

Edited by chionomaniac
  • Like 9