Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 23rd Jan - 12z onwards

Paul

Posted

I continue to be rather cautious with regards to this oncoming cold spell and shall await the Wed/Thurs/Fri snowfall potential to come into range on the Euro4. Synoptically speaking the model output doesn't exactly excite me very much  The relatively tame N,ly appears to be toppled in the medium range around +240 as high pressure will become either centred over the UK or to our SW.

What is disappointing is the ECM ensemble mean suggests the PV will regroup over Greenland.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2015012512/EDH1-240.GIF?25-0

Just to put things into perspective but the chart below is what I would call a screaming N,ly. I wasn't born but according to my mother this produced an amazing snowfall in Peterborough via a polar low.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1969/Rrea00119690208.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1969/Rrea00219690208.gif

Really useful archive charts, Dave because they remind us of how potent it can be with a block in place as you had there. This northerly might still produce the goods, but I'd love to see a proper block develop out west otherwise it's like scoring at one end but leaking goals at the others. Specifically, the 18z continues to show a very strong and relatively flat jet. We've got to worry that this will pick up Atlantic low pressure systems and in the absence of blocking or amplification … well you know the rest. Fingers crossed though.

• Like 3

Posted

haven't a clue why people are looking at uppers on charts after 144hr they won't verify. its all about trends and that is looking very good. look at the charts 7am on the 2nd feb, each subsequent run as slighty increased the heights over the southern tip of Greenland and weakened the vortex. With the strat warming its not unrealistic in expecting the trop vortex to continue to weaken. would like to know Ian's thoughts and what GLOSEA5 & mogreps show for week 2.

6z

gfsnh-2015012506-0-192.png?6

12z

gfsnh-2015012512-0-186.png?12

18z

gfsnh-2015012518-0-180.png?18

• Like 3

Posted

I don't think this was ever forecast as a true Northerly. What's happened is an extremely cold unstable trough has dropped into North West Europe just to the East of us. It's a highly unusual set up that is potentially very snowy for many areas for 5-7 days

Really useful archive charts, Dave because they remind us of how potent it can be with a block in place as you had there. This northerly might still produce the goods, but I'd love to see a proper block develop out west otherwise it's like scoring at one end but leaking goals at the others. Specifically, the 18z continues to show a very strong and relatively flat jet. We've got to worry that this will pick up Atlantic low pressure systems and in the absence of blocking or amplification … well you know the rest. Fingers crossed though.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

I continue to be rather cautious with regards to this oncoming cold spell and shall await the Wed/Thurs/Fri snowfall potential to come into range on the Euro4. Synoptically speaking the model output doesn't exactly excite me very much  The relatively tame N,ly appears to be toppled in the medium range around +240 as high pressure will become either centred over the UK or to our SW.

What is disappointing is the ECM ensemble mean suggests the PV will regroup over Greenland.

Just to put things into perspective but the chart below is what I would call a screaming N,ly. I wasn't born but according to my mother this produced an amazing snowfall in Peterborough via a polar low.

Funny enough Dave, when looking at that 1969 500hPa chart it isn't too dissimilar to what is showing in the 500hPa forecasts. It is just that when you look at the 850's all the similarities end abruptly.

post-4523-0-12287000-1422227625_thumb.gi

post-4523-0-82579700-1422227635_thumb.gi

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

haven't a clue why people are looking at uppers on charts after 144hr they won't verify. its all about trends and that is looking very good. look at the charts 7am on the 2nd feb, each subsequent run as slighty increased the heights over the southern tip of Greenland and weakened the vortex. With the strat warming its not unrealistic in expecting the trop vortex to continue to weaken. would like to know Ian's thoughts and what GLOSEA5 & mogreps show for week 2.

6z

12z

18z

And the nice trend to see is the PV splitting. Look at 18z compared to 6z!!.Think the trend today has been a positive one today and the very absence of IF on here is a sign maybe that the Met O have rather a lot on their plate this week lol.Lets hope the foundations are in place and maybe this time next week the UK would have received some widespread snowfall with no margainility.Still a long way to go but all models broadly speaking singing from the same hymn sheet(a cold outlook)

• Like 3

Posted

This looks rather like the chart I was criticised for posting earlier, which oddly, looked itself like a chart from the 06z suite.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs_cartes.php?ech=174&code=10&mode=0&carte=0

Not saying it will happen, but looking at the 18z suite and even the opp, it wouldn't take a great leap really.

Edit: it has some decent support as well.

Edited by Jason M

Posted

I will sleep happy tonight :) I may not be in the prime place for snow, there are numerous opportunities for the whole country to join in...trend over the past week was to "buff" the initial toppler 24-48hr to something more lengthy, which is encouraging also 850s have took a hike down. If you are disappointed then you need evaluate where you come from :-) I actually see it to be a rather snowy setup if parameters give the thumbs up. Repetition, oooh 'uppers' are too high well they're really not -4C? It ain't in the league of snowy north but it will do with such cold upper air profile, there's been snow events with -2C 850s in place. Past day 10 I do not think the models have a didgeridoo...tomorrow will be important in firming up regarding Wednesday/Thursday. Exciting times ahead, just enjoy the ride and see where it take us, I do feel some in here have underdone what is being shown but then again it could turn out to be true. I think we will sneak in some upgrades, before the penny drops.

Out to D10 the cold is holding on - big block to the NE 1060mb not where we want it but worth a watch.

post-19153-0-83567700-1422229582_thumb.jpost-19153-0-76616600-1422230168_thumb.j

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 6

Posted

This looks rather like the chart I was criticised for posting earlier, which oddly, looked itself like a chart from the 06z suite.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs_cartes.php?ech=174&code=10&mode=0&carte=0

Not saying it will happen, but looking at the 18z suite and even the opp, it wouldn't take a great leap really.

yeah definitely possible, the 18z ensembles showing the same trend of the op of slighty better heights towards southern greenland, wouldn't bet against one of tomorrows op runs showing us proper Greenland high around 198-204hr

• Like 1

Posted

yeah definitely possible, the 18z ensembles showing the same trend of the op of slighty better heights towards southern greenland, wouldn't bet against one of tomorrows op runs showing us proper Greenland high around 198-204hr

It's still odds against, and the 18z suite mostly fails to get there, but quite a few of the ptrbs get damn close.

Posted

Tame Northerly? I know what you mean in terms of the temperatures but because of various factors, the Northerly showing is perhaps not going to be as cold as it probably should be on paper but in terms of the strength of the flow in terms of wind, it looks a strong Northerly too me. 

What is dissapointing me is the lack of cold upper air temps(when is the -10hpa going to enter mainland UK!?), we just not getting the trough in the right place so the coldest air is not quite being tapped into, this of course could still change as no doubt the details will keep on changing but obviously it could downgrade further.

Still don't like the GFS trend of bring the low to close to us but its not totally out of line with other runs, its got the general idea but the important detail is different. 

Hopefully the 00Z runs will give a clearer picture on what may happen after the initial potent blast from the WNW.

Posted

Hi TEITS

The striking thing is that a lot of the others get scarily close to a tipping point IMHO. Just one little nudge and we will be looking at very different charts tommorow.

We can't be that lucky though, can we ;-)

I wonder if mogreps is hinting at this, hence some rather bullish comments today from forecasters.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

ECM London ensembles.

ensemble-tt6-london.gif

GFS 18z short ensembles Central England.

graphe6_1000_256_80___.gif

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 1

Posted

6z

12z

18z

What a great post. In addition to this, the GFS has proved far superior to the ECM with regards to the modelling of heights towards Greenland in the medium term. I don't know why but the ECM really struggles with the modelling in that locale and as a result, each op is so different - tonight's 12z being a good example. GFS the one to follow when looking for amplification towards southern Greenland . I cannot stress that enough. Edited by blizzard81

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

I know all the main talk is concerning powerful NWly/ Nly flows this coming week

However- correct me if I'm reading these FI charts wrong- and I know these are a way off yet but are these GFS charts suggesting any possibility of a hint of a easterly for the South east?

(From a desperate Kentish man that's been snow starved for 22 months)

#miss them Easterly beasts!#

post-10303-0-58133400-1422228882_thumb.p

post-10303-0-18620000-1422228907_thumb.p

• Like 1

Posted

I know all the main talk is concerning powerful NWly/ Nly flows this coming week

However- correct me if I'm reading these FI charts wrong- and I know these are a way off yet but are these GFS charts suggesting any possibility of a hint of a easterly for the South east?

(From a desperate Kentish man that's been snow starved for 22 months)

#miss them Easterly beasts!#

Nah, this is an easterly :-)

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs_cartes.php?code=10&ech=240&mode=0&carte=0

taken from the ensembles rolling out now.

Edit: still very much a minority solution so worth raising one eyebrow maybe, but nothing more at this stage.

Edited by Jason M
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Well that is encouraging. What I find especially interesting is the timeframe. If this was at +300 then I would dismiss as usual F.I but the period of interest is much earlier. I see at +168 blocking develops over Greenland and the Atlantic is forced underneath this block.

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gens/runs/2015012518/gens-10-1-168.png

Maybe I should stop being so negative and more open minded because this has surprised me somewhat.

Nope, can we have you and Steve continuing to be negative please...seems things have gone a little smoother whilst you pair have that mindset. 

Cold and windy this week with a chance of snow in all areas, but a larger chance of heavy falls anywhere in Scotland and down western coasts. I wouldn't want to pinpoint too much, but I don't see much in the way of snow chances down to the south coast, so this won't be a nationwide event or one to remember for most IMO, but cold nonetheless. Be interesting to see whether we can try and force any blocking together at all, but I won't hold my breath.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

The NAO may go negative for a short time - however then trending positive again - a cold start to February soon to be replaced by milder conditions

You need to go and read Chio's reference to the longest lasting toppler ever. The setup at the end of the week is not sustained by a -NAO profile, but instead by the elongated trough on the siberian side being sustained by the position of the dislodged vortex. Therefore a +NAO is not necessarily the end of the spell in this context providing the vortex keeps the trough digging south over Europe.

It would - of course - be better if we did get some Greenland heights building. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

UN120-21.GIFUN144-21.GIF?26-05

:shok:  :help:  :cold:

GFS not bad either but not as cold as UKMO would be.

gfsnh-0-120.png?0gfsnh-0-144.png?0

GEM is excellent for coldies and unlike GFS is keen to keep us in a cold pattern.

gemnh-0-120.png?00gemnh-0-168.png?00

So close to a cut off high

gemnh-0-192.png?00

And given how GEM significantly underestimates 850 temps this day 10 chart ain't bad

gemnh-1-240.png?00

So other than GFS bringing a relatively early demise to the cold I think this is a very nice set of morning runs. Over to ECM.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Let's just enjoy what we can to this shortened upcoming cold interlude. Looks like we could see some wet snow almost anywhere in 3/4 days from Wednesday onward before typical high toppler. I am amazed how good the initial charts look on Wednesday with -10s chasing hard on the heals of -5s but then almost by magic just disappear over the Atlantic. This is the problem for us here as sat in a huge warm bath!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

GFS not as good this morning with regards to the longevity of the cold spell, I know it's FI but it has too much energy going over the high causing a toppler. Still a good northerly before this happens though! And also the pretty potent W/NW'ly Wed/Thur to look forward to :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

ECM has another cold and snowy outcome

ECU1-192.GIF?26-12

ECU0-192.GIF?26-12

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Unfortunately the ECM is also looking flatter in FI as well with a lot of energy coming out of the eastern states, but not before some bitter weather and a few snow chances :)

post-9615-0-51818200-1422255296_thumb.gipost-9615-0-14968800-1422255304_thumb.gipost-9615-0-99434400-1422255523_thumb.gi

Edited by *Sub*Zero*
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Mid term trending the wrong way this morning, let's hope that reverses throughout the day! But in the next week plenty to get interested about. Should be a fun week on the regional threads :)

• Like 2