Sign in to follow this  
Captain Shortwave

Southeast England and East Anglia - Weather Chat

RE: Tonight's potential, it might be worth me re-posting this:

This bears many similar hallmarks to that event (and I'm not talking exact track here), so I would not take any forecast track just yet as any sort of gospel finalised track.

SK

I remember a similar scenario that was forecasted to move down the spine of the country but miss the South-East, remember the forecast on BBC South-East today forecasting this.

Overnight winds backed more NW and pushed it across the SE. The forecast the next day was Kaddy-Lee Preston apologising for getting the forecast so wrong. Not a clue what year it was though.

Back edge sleet on the band as it pushed through here, the kind that has little bits of ice embedded in the raindrops. Heaviest stuff passed just to my North East, could see it falling heavily over the hills in the distance

Big white flakes in Harlow, coming down, ive just been informed,snowing here now in Ongar  :D

Precip started as sleety rain about an hour and half ago but turned to snow and settling on the colder surfaces.

Had a heavy rain shower, with some sleetiness mixed in on the back edge and the temperature has dropped from 7.4ºc at 14:12 to 4.3ºc now... But the dew point has risen from 2.3ºc to 2.6ºc! 

Going in the right direction though!!

Edited by Sno' problem

It's as expected people, some passing showers giving a dusting I places. Ivan only reiterate that unfortunately some members like to over hype things.

Enjoy the cold wintry conditions.

I don't honestly think members are over hyping it Steve.......The entire region is under a met office warning for snow and ice with accs in some places......and interestingly enough, some of the members who have been hinting at some snowfall, indeed the potential for something a bit more substantial,  are amungst the most learned on this forum

Hail. Now snow in such density its covered roofs and pavements.

Short lived but it was great to see 10p sized flakes.

Thanks to all who kept the faith for some of us to see snow and posted all the charts to keep the hopes up  :clap:

Road covered too. Despite a temperature of 3 degrees. No dewpoint as NetAtMo have yet to include.

Heavy, blizzardy looking sleety rain started in Epsom about 20mins ago and is now rapidly turning to proper settling snow! Omg first flakes in 2yrs! I hope the showers overnight get bigger and longer!!xx

See folks- its all moving in the right direction!!!

Wait till overnight-

places will get a covering!!!!!

anyone else seeing some brilliant mammatus cloud after the thundersnow hail event. Looks terrific 

I remember a similar scenario that was forecasted to move down the spine of the country but miss the South-East, remember the forecast on BBC South-East today forecasting this.

Overnight winds backed more NW and pushed it across the SE. The forecast the next day was Kaddy-Lee Preston apologising for getting the forecast so wrong. Not a clue what year it was though.

Back edge sleet on the band as it pushed through here, the kind that has little bits of ice embedded in the raindrops. Heaviest stuff passed just to my North East, could see it falling heavily over the hills in the distance

Absolutely, many examples I'm sure down the years of such developments proving a little tricky to forecast. The natural progression of such a system is South with exponentially increasing Easterly curve the further South it heads. However, how rapidly this Easterly progression occurs is near impossible to call because it is such a dynamic system.

Interesting graphic from WSI:

B8h1Yb0IIAA1Rlt.pngB8h1Xm5IUAEWT2G.png

That brings the track a lot further North than any recent high-res modelling I have seen, just highlighting the range of outcomes modeled presently

SK

Thunder and lightning in Reigate!

Hailing heavily now!

It sure is, Im up the hill and its a total whiteout, getting down the hill will be interesting !