Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 16th Jan 12z onwards - Smile While You Post!

Paul

Posted

Tue-Thurs still looks interesting, maybe some early warnings will come out via the METO for some areas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

The improvements on the 0z continue on the 6z.  Out to 108, slight shift west, better alignment to the west and maybe the easterly isn't totally dead yet?

gfsnh-0-108.png?6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Well a nice surprise this morning with snow falling & also started to settle.

Some charts for the coming days

ukmintemp.pnguksnowrisk.png

ukmintemp.pngukmintemp.pnguksnowrisk.pngukmintemp.pnguksnowrisk.png

I'm not going any further as there's plenty there already to keep most happy.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

You've all just read from a professional meteorologist that the meto,with all their amazing technology,are really struggling beyond 2-3 days and yet people are STILL posting charts 7,8,9 days away saying "return to westerlies now set in stone"

has anyone actually said its 'set in stone'?...

no of course it isnt, but its looking pretty likely as all models are suggesting that this cold spell will relinquish its grip sometime next weekend.  thats what the models are suggesting so its as relevant to this thread as people posting cold charts in that timeframe (recently).

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Why do iPads do that?? Type a lengthy post, pop over to another tab, come back to this one to finish typing the post, it refreshes and post gone!

Hi. Use a note app like "Drafts" and then copy and paste. Been burnt too many times with my ipad to ever post directly to the browser.

At T114 will we get the second slider, chances look better: post-14819-0-46562300-1421489407_thumb.p

Nice run up till then with snow for many.

Edited by i'm dreaming of...
  • Like 2

Why do iPads do that?? Type a lengthy post, pop over to another tab, come back to this one to finish typing the post, it refreshes and post gone!

Anyway the gist was things looking a little rosier on the 00z suite or at least the 'downgrades' of yesterday have been halted. A much more pleasant environment on here this morning than yesterday. Yes I would say a more mobile weather is currently the favourite for this time next week but before we get there, we have plenty of fun and games. And who's to say a more continental influence isn't just around the corner thereafter?

Forecasters nightmare though when these 'sliders' come into play. Ppn types, location, intensity, duration as energy passes down. Small mesoscale systems can often develop, hardly noticeable but as they meander down in the unstable flow they can be responsible for some big surprise falls in the lucky areas in these sort of setups. So the key word is potential for all. The great thing about living where I do is that expectations are always low, so anything that occurs of the fluffy white variety is always going to be a bonus!

Also just because our hp cell currently over Northern Scandi isn't the most robust looking, it isn't necessarily a bad thing. I like them. Seen it many times before that they tend to linger longer (and often 'nose' westwards towards Iceland in time allowing continued undercutting) whilst those big strong blocks to the NE might look great, the reality is that almost always is their westerly influence stops well east of the UK and whilst it may hinder full on Atlantic mobility, what we often get is the dreaded 'no mans land scenario'. Especially around this time of year.

You must have an older iPad which only has 1GB of system memory, they are notorious for running out of memory when having many tabs open hence they refresh, iPad Air 2 fixes this issue with 2 GB of memory.

Yes i agree these strong russian highs are usually too far east,  i prefer highs just to our north.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

At T114 will we get the second slider, chances look better: attachicon.gifgfs-0-114 (2).png

Nice run up till then with snow for many.

Yes, up to 144 it is a good run, not a belter but another small improvement vs 0z. This thread is in a happier mood today, so perhaps a day of upgrades is ahead of us?

Edited by Ice Day
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Might as well throw in the latest NAVGEM output

navgem-0-96.png?17-11

navgem-0-120.png?17-11

navgem-0-144.png?17-11

Looks okay to me.

The general trend this morning seems to be for low pressure to slide south east through the UK with potentially a brief easterly setting up before the Azores high cuts this off. Still great uncertainty about this though.

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted

If you compare the 0Z NAVGEM to the 06Z this speaks volumes with regards to the current situation.

0Z has the UK in a W/NW,ly flow.

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/navgem/runs/2015011700/navgem-0-150.png?17-05

06Z E,ly!

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/navgem/runs/2015011706/navgem-0-144.png?17-11

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Based on the last week of charts I don't think any of the outputs have been especially consistent, on the whole. and that's why we're in a bit of a pickle over the will it/won't it.

That aside, if this is what you're seeing, please post or at least reference the charts that illustrate. - one liners are best placed in the banter thread.....

Thanks!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Here's how certain things are.......taking thursday coming up....

The 18z had it...

airpressure.png

It's now on the 6z

airpressure.png

I don't see how with such a difference in under a week, anything in the longer term can have a "high probability"?

Edited by phil nw.
Removed unfriendly comment.
  • Like 6

Posted

If you compare the 0Z NAVGEM to the 06Z this speaks volumes with regards to the current situation.

0Z has the UK in a W/NW,ly flow.

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/navgem/runs/2015011700/navgem-0-150.png?17-05

06Z E,ly!

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/navgem/runs/2015011706/navgem-0-144.png?17-11

Very good trends this morning and a big improvement on last night's 12z runs. May this new improved trend continue with vigour.
  • Like 2

Posted

Need to be careful re seeing a sou'wester when it could easily be a transient ridge ahead of the next trough dropping se. Check the uppers and thicknesses to see if it's a proper sou'wester.

going back to the modelling and i recall posting that we had a decent chance of running a shortwave into the broad trough around the 21/23 rd as the ah pulled back. Clearly, the reality has been to accelerate the entry to cold and NWP to show the exit by time the best chance of southern snowfall appeared to be a week or so ago.

Posted

You've all just read from a professional meteorologist that the meto,with all their amazing technology,are really struggling beyond 2-3 days and yet people are STILL posting charts 7,8,9 days away saying "return to westerlies now set in stone"

Yes, and lets remind ourselves what was being shown / said a week or two back when there seemed little hope of cold before the month's end. 

With sunspot activity at (then) current levels the outlook back in early autumn was not one favouing prolonged and severe cold, but did suggest a more 'normal' winter with cold spells and possibly snow.

The current models and associated charts continue to suggest this to me, and yes we can all continue to hope that one throw of the dice throws up a full house that we can all remember fondly.

The shift of PV towards Siberia looks far more familiar to me, what we now need is a stronger low down over the Med and better heights in Greenland or Skandi. This set up is not there just now but I would still not bet against it within the next four weeks. As others far more knowledgeable have said in the past - get the bits in the right place and watch the picture develop. And that is the process I love to watch

post-7292-0-45015100-1421484484.jpg (drawn from Strat Thread)

Edited by egret

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather...heavy snow and heat waves

The return of a SW/W airmass by the end of the week is a high probability now - with the current consistent output

The high Shannon entropy means nothing has a high probability at the moment, nothing is certain, so what's showing in 5/6 days time will chop and change

Posted

Looks to me that part of the problem is the modelling of the lobe of the PV over Greenland, this morning's runs have it further north, only as we get into lower res does this start to drop down. I would not view any return to SWlys as set in stone, likely maybe but not a certainty at the stage.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I just wanted to bring a balanced view

I desperately want the cold and snowy weather to prevail

My take on this after analyzing the various outputs is that the westerly airmass as shown on this mornings GFS will establish itself

post-2553-0-59454600-1421493439_thumb.jp

• Like 5

Posted

It is interesting that fergieweather notes there is a clear signal for a return to a westerly regime- I hope this is noted.

I am always told get the cold in and the snow opportunities will arrive- surely this coming week it a case in point. Embedded cold with a sliding system will produce snow for some though I can't really see snowmageddon occurring. However, a couple of cms caused problems so could be fun and games.

It

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

The best chart this morning in terms of prolonging the cold is from the CMA which manages to squeeze some WAA to the NE

cmanh-0-240.png?00