Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion - 1300z 12/1/15 ------>

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, stormy

Snow on my car this morning (ok only a dusting, but the car was cold enough to preserve the flakes that fell! :D ). Slight westerly correction of the forcast snow for Tues/Wed - I suggest most in the SW will miss out but you never know - height and a few most favourable adjustments and some of us might get lucky.

For all those (mainly on other threads and sites) who think we are in the last chance saloon - its still only the 19th Jan - this cooler spell arose at fairly short notice. A possible SSW is coming and there is still 5-6 weeks of the heart of winter. Longer daylight hours doesn't kill lying snow - its the air temps and dew points. :)

Keep hoping...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

We cant even predict the 48 - 60 hours out at the moment... I wouldn't look to far ahead.

I am just quoting a professional forecaster, please dont shoot the messenger!

Fromey

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzard, Hot & Sunny

I am just quoting a professional forecaster, please dont shoot the messenger!

Fromey

Haha ok,

The models have found a trend for the weekend although they have been flipping all over the place.

Posted

Hmmm, can't understand it, literally everything else is working fine, including the home page on here; it's only the forum pages not working. Any clues what to do? My computer knowledge is pretty much limited to knowing where the 'on' button is.

Sounds simple but try turning it off and on again? First try just closing the browser and re opening, but if not then the whole computer system.

If that still doesn't work you can try clearing cookies... That may fix it?

• Like 1

Posted

So glad to hear some of you Cornish guys have at last seen a few flakes, you sure deserve it. You often don't have the same frustrated tone as the rest of us during the winter months, perhaps your expectations are lower!!!

Anyway hope you get some settling snow before the winter is out.

Happy Birthday to Nights King. Hope you have a great day and if you can't get snow today, I wish you a thick frost for this evening.

Stunning day here after a light frost. Some Cars coming off the moor with 1-2cm of snow on them this morning. Guess someone got lucky.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Minimum of -1.6c. At 08:09 with a frost.  Now clear ad on the way up.   0.4c.   ....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

Minimum of -1.6c. At 08:09 with a frost.  Now clear ad on the way up.   0.4c.   ....

I live not far from u and we only got down to +1.3c, frustrating

Fromey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Snow on my car this morning (ok only a dusting, but the car was cold enough to preserve the flakes that fell! :D ). Slight westerly correction of the forcast snow for Tues/Wed - I suggest most in the SW will miss out but you never know - height and a few most favourable adjustments and some of us might get lucky.

For all those (mainly on other threads and sites) who think we are in the last chance saloon - its still only the 19th Jan - this cooler spell arose at fairly short notice. A possible SSW is coming and there is still 5-6 weeks of the heart of winter. Longer daylight hours doesn't kill lying snow - its the air temps and dew points. :)

Keep hoping...

Well that ssw(warming event!) should be taken with a lorry load of salt!! as shown by the 06z GFS, it is nowhere near as pronounced, we would really need this to happen early feb latest and not be pushed back to mid-late feb as we will not see the benefit. I for one don't want April and May to blocked to the North, pushing cold muck for the spring months!

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

clinging on to an ice day here by the skin of my teeth.... -0.2c

• Like 2

Posted

clinging on to an ice day here by the skin of my teeth.... -0.2c

any cloud present, that ice day could be under threat I fear if not! Some cold spell this  :whistling:

Posted

Well that ssw(warming event!) should be taken with a lorry load of salt!! as shown by the 06z GFS, it is nowhere near as pronounced, we would really need this to happen early feb latest and not be pushed back to mid-late feb as we will not see the benefit. I for one don't want April and May to blocked to the North, pushing cold muck for the spring months!

Might as well as we certainly not going to need it on those roads.. :sorry:

• Like 2

Posted

any cloud present, that ice day could be under threat I fear if not! Some cold spell this  :whistling:

First ice day has been blown out of the water by cloud cover! 0.3c :wallbash: Now 0.9c

Can we not get even a clear cold winters day this year!? No snow and no real cold. :angry:

Patchy rain Tuesday Wednesday how is that a cold spell?

Edited by Nights King

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

So guys, when does the cold spell start...?

Slight frost this morning but nothing out of the ordinary.

• Like 1

Posted

Jan 2016 i believe :wallbash:  

• Like 2

Posted

What is the MJO doing playing Call Of Duty anyway while I'm stuck at work  :ninja:

• Like 1

Posted

There isn't one. Just normal winter fare, with coldish nights (odd frost) sunny spells and rain. 

Posted

For all the recent optimism and excitement on the model thread; this 'cold 'spell' really isn't that bad (at least, not in this region of the country) which is why my expectation levels were always low.

Amongst all the pant wetting over on the model thread; the only individuals of whom I look for are Mr Fergusson and Nick Sussex. Two voices of reason and sound analysis.

Posted

For all the recent optimism and excitement on the model thread; this 'cold 'spell' really isn't that bad (at least, not in this region of the country) which is why my expectation levels were always low.

Amongst all the pant wetting over on the model thread; the only individuals of whom I look for are Mr Fergusson and Nick Sussex. Two voices of reason and sound analysis.

Yep, Ian F aside, I usually focus on what Nick S and BA's musings are as they usually give a pretty good view of what actually might happen with good explanation and reasons as to why/where and what to look for. as well as our very own AWD of course! 

I always find Ian F comments very cryptic! 

Plus always look out for my comments, usually spot on 0.99% of the time ....... 8)

• Like 4

Posted

Oh I see on the radar the channel islands are getting peppered with showers of a wintry nature, WTF!  :wallbash:

Posted

Oh I see on the radar the channel islands are getting peppered with showers of a wintry nature, WTF!  :wallbash:

:rofl:  :nonono:  Just looked at the met office regional map for Tuesday into Wednesday and it shows a mix of rain, sleet and snow all the way down to devon with no real line or pattern although somerset and Bristol has rain for most with devon under more wintry ppn it makes no sense.

• Like 2

Posted

Amazing how it can go all the way around us, but never hit.Tomorrow & Weds look dire.

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 1

Posted

Yep, Ian F aside, I usually focus on what Nick S and BA's musings are as they usually give a pretty good view of what actually might happen with good explanation and reasons as to why/where and what to look for. as well as our very own AWD of course! 

I always find Ian F comments very cryptic! 

Plus always look out for my comments, usually spot on 0.99% of the time ....... 8)

Jason you better listen to Karlos, or he'll send the boys round :aggressive:

Posted

post-8911-0-88480400-1421673510_thumb.pn

Hmm didn't come out well but you can make out Bristol/somerset coast

Tuesday mid night bottom is south coast.

Can ya guess what it is yet.. :D

Edited by Nights King
  • Like 1

Posted

attachicon.gifwest.png

Hmm didn't come out well but you can make out Bristol/somerset coast

Tuesday mid night bottom is south coast.

Can ya guess what it is yet.. :D

I'm off to Sussex on Wednesday, so might see something when going over the downs.

Jason you better listen to Karlos, or he'll send the boys round :aggressive:

You would be ill-advised to listen to me... #fact

Posted

I was disappointed that it was cloudy all night which prevented what could have been the lowest temperature for a long time. As soon as the cloud cleared at around 07.00 the temperature dropped quickly to -1.1c after being 1.2c at 06.00! The only (slight) benefit of that cloud was that it had produced a flurry at some stage judging by the frozen flakes on our cars.

I can foresee a similar issue tonight with frontal cloud already edging in from the West, a quick drop at unset like yesterday then a levelling off and rise through the night. Quite frustrating for those wanting snow because if it had been differently timed to cloud over early tomorrow we could have had a bitterly cold night first.

• Like 1