Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Weather chat

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Well what a fab day. Went up to Holcomb, Rawtenstall and parked up at the Shoulder of Mutton pub. 10cm of Snow on the walk under Peel tower then a pub lunch. Thought it might be a bit wet and rubbish but it was dry and fluffy. Great day!

post-19090-0-55678000-1421615165_thumb.j

post-19090-0-95863600-1421615670_thumb.j

• Like 6

Posted

Lakeland fells locked in winter's grip, deep powder snow above 300 metres, slushy stuff in sheltered spots below this level. Out walking on the west side of Thirlmere and then the fells south of Thirlmere towards Grasmere.

We managed a very heavy dose of snow around half 9 this morning but it was very shortlived, still enough to put down a cm, and my front garden and roof still has a cover.

Very icy outside , current temp -1.1. Not sure how low it will go, we could get down to -5 degrees provided the wind drops which I think is preventing a rapid cooling.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

-2.1c, wonder how low it'll go?! Perhaps a -3 to -4, very rarely do I get lower than that here. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

The light snow that had been falling stopped a hour or so ago and the temperature finally dropped below freezing.

Currently -1.7c and dropping slowly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

This is a good post from harsh climate. Sounds promising for a lot of us. Hope he's right.

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/82300-model-output-discussion-16th-jan-12z-onwards-smile-while-you-post/?p=3128798

i hope he's not and tbh i dont think he will be

• Like 2

Posted

Seems to be being revised with every run at the moment, just shows how difficult this is to forecast. It does seem to be looking likely for snow for our region on Tues/Weds now. The MOD thread is fun to follow, lots of swings from one extreme to the other.

The models have been showing this for 1 and a half days now, don't know why the met/BBC were so slow to react.

Posted

I was just thinking, don't be too worried if the met don't give us a warning for the next event as on Friday night when we had the warning quite a lot of us saw no snow, whereas last night/today there has been no warning and a lot of us got a few cms others more.

I'm not slating the met office, far from it. Just saying not everything go's as expected.

Posted

Looking better and better for Wednesday!! Sleet on the coast but heavy snow inland. Only a matter of time before warnings are released if the Met keep going for heavy snow! A bit different to the BBC weather forecasts! 

post-9615-0-26804400-1421617087_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

The models have been showing this for 1 and a half days now, don't know why the met/BBC were so slow to react.

My guess would be is that because of the marginality and the chops and changes?

If the met and beeb start saying its going to snow, the daily express/mail will only get hold of it earlier and scare monger the nation anyway! 

• Like 1

Posted

Looking better and better for Wednesday!! Sleet on the coast but heavy snow inland. Only a matter of time before warnings are released if the Met keep going for heavy snow! A bit different to the BBC weather forecasts! 

Just watched bbc forecast online and they bailed out on details still too early.

attachicon.gifmet1.PNG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

attachicon.gifmet1.PNG

Thurs/Friday is looking good too.

• Like 1

Posted

attachicon.gifmet1.PNG

Same here.....

post-16439-0-09167000-1421617885_thumb.j

post-16439-0-78240500-1421617899_thumb.j

post-16439-0-61116900-1421617912_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted

I'd be very surprised if the precipitation reaches here that it won't be of the snowy variety - but it's just a case of will it make it this far east and in what form if/when it arrives.  I've seen fronts almost fizzle into nothing when they come into colder air.  They seem to make good progress initially on the radar and you think your quids in but then they crawl.....and crawl.....and virtually stop...hope it's different this time.

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted

Anyone want to guess why the MO haven't extended the Ice warning over Lancashire? post-19090-0-60713800-1421618673_thumb.j

post-19090-0-87293900-1421619046_thumb.j

Edited by Spah1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunder and more snow

At a guess, uncertainty of slider forming? Amongst other factors not wanting to risk the met office who cried wolf?

Posted

-2.5 now, clear and still. Latest GFS looking good for the whole region :)

• Like 2

Posted

At a guess, uncertainty of slider forming? Amongst other factors not wanting to risk the met office who cried wolf?

That's the point of the yellow warnings though. Let the public be aware that there is potential for something severe but confidence is still low etc.

Posted

BBC regional and national forecast bottled it again. We're 2 days away for god's sake, inexcusable imo...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

18Z is a snowfestttttttt

For everywhere except NW England, it's thrown in a warm sector. Couldn't make that up.

Edited by Backtrack
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

18Z is a snowfestttttttt

For everywhere except NW England, it's thrown in a warm sector. Couldn't make that up.

Yep I'm getting the feeling that anywhere west of the M6 can forget it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

If i dont get over 1cm this winter am relocating.

Edited by I Cumbria Marra I

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Yep I'm getting the feeling that anywhere west of the M6 can forget it.

Oh well, it'll be Summer soon :D