Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Weather chat

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

definitely a nowcasting event, looks to me as though the precip over ireland has made more progress than previously anticipated? looks 3 hours ahead of the NMM...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms and snow

It's always said we won't get snow here Chris - I'm just by leasowe sand hills so could wave at you prob - but we actually do ok for snow

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Ah not going to get a low temp tonight then, clouded over and hovering at -1.3°C

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

The front is barely moving!! Painfully slow, bet it fizzles out! -1.6c here. 

• Like 1

Posted

It's colder out to the west than it is in the east... example Blackpool Airport -2c, Doncaster +2c...

Currently 1c here ... Aviemore saying come to daddy at -10c

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted

Harldy moving yes

But moving quicker than the nmm thought 12z update, this is for mightnight tonight- post-18571-0-55802800-1421705273_thumb.p

Now look at the radar image shown for 22:15-post-18571-0-59272700-1421705300_thumb.p

Could an albeit slight eastwards correction not be argued?

Posted

There's a small low centre developing near the S/SW of Ireland I think that could be holding the forward progression of the front back?

Edited by *Sub*Zero*
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Harldy moving yes

But moving quicker than the nmm thought 12z update, this is for mightnight tonight- attachicon.gifnmm2.png

Now look at the radar image shown for 22:15-attachicon.gifradar1.png

Could an albeit slight eastwards correction not be argued?

look at my last post a few pages back. I mentioned that we are getting that that is now near cornwall. There is a mini low that is driving that up to us. Look at 12z nmm

It then coincides with the front over ireland and intensifies

• Like 2

Posted

look at my last post a few pages back. I mentioned that we are getting that that is now near cornwall. There is a mini low that is driving that up to us. Look at 12z nmm

It then coincides with the front over ireland and intensifies

Yep, just had a look at the post, good call id say

I am still learning, but I do agree that the shortwave will give us most of what we see fall out of the sky!

I do think that I could be here a little earlier than expected though- just my opinion! Like i say im still learning  :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, storms

Off topic but sad news breaking tonight about the death of Anne Kirkbride (Deirdre Barlow) aged just 60.

I'm stunned. Such a young age these days.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

RIP Deirdre Barlow, shes was a legend of Corrie. :(

Edited by pip22
  • Like 5

Posted

How many times has he said 'mainly on the hills' !! lol

• Like 1

Posted

Here's my take on the next 24 hours or so

Let The Battle begin.

Tonight:

on the latest radar below, you can see the Atlantic is throwing a weather front our way. However there is some cold air sitting over the UK at the moment, and as the front makes a very slow process East it will turn to sleet and snow across Northern Ireland, there will be covering in places, with more over the hills. On the back edge of the front it may begin to turn to rain for a time, and as it clear there maybe a ice risk.

post-4226-0-77487700-1421704510_thumb.pn

Elsewhere across the UK and it's going to be another cold night, with a widespread frost, however there may be the possibility of some freezing fog more so across the eastern side of the country. Temperatures of around

-5 to 3c . Anywhere were there is snow cover and the temperatures will be considerably colder. The chart below shows the minimum UK temperatures at midnight. It's also worth noting where there has been any showers or snow melt, there could be icy stretches across the UK

post-4226-0-17169900-1421705182_thumb.pn

As we start tomorrow morning at 9am, we can see the front turning patchy over Northern Ireland and starting to move into the the far West and Southern Wales and the far South West.

post-4226-0-16777000-1421705618_thumb.pn

However across the areas mention above, I think it will bring mostly rain or sleet. With any wintryness for higher ground

post-4226-0-44425400-1421705772_thumb.pn

Elsewhere across the UK, it should be a fine bright start, but feeling cold. However there will be some cloud moving in from the west, and feeling colder in any fog patches which may be slow to clear.

Around 3pm and there will be rain/sleet and snow moving in from the West and this will begin to turn to sleet and snow away from the coast from central Wales northwards.

below are the maximum and min temperatures

post-4226-0-47570200-1421706242_thumb.pn

post-4226-0-49007000-1421706297_thumb.pn

ahead of the wintry band skies will begin to cloud over, with the best of any brightness across the eastern half of the UK. Behind the band there will be a few showers these will be of rain, with wintryness over the hills

post-4226-0-20801700-1421706492_thumb.pnpost-4226-0-05072000-1421707449_thumb.pn

post-4226-0-50645500-1421707616_thumb.pn

post-4226-0-43522200-1421707666_thumb.pn

post-4226-0-03313500-1421707724_thumb.pn

post-4226-0-40843800-1421707766_thumb.pn

As we move through the rest of the night, i expect western Scotland, cumbria, northwest England, North Wales and central areas to see further spells of sleet and snow. With so wintryness making its way towards the Sout East for high routes. Western areas will see best of any falls, with some heavy bursts possible, giving a covering (not great amounts)! And those with hight doing better. Where anything falls from the sky there will be a ice risk.

As we move through Wednesday and Thursday there will be a frost, and more fronts moving in from the Atlantic, however the cold will lose its grip, and wintry weather will become confined to higher ground.

There we go, there most likely a pile of rubbish as i think it's going to be a nowcast event.

post-4226-0-55470300-1421708344_thumb.pn

post-4226-0-69876600-1421707512_thumb.pn

• Like 7

Posted

Digital sensor still adjusting and reading -2.7 degrees, however, thermometer outside reads -6 degrees! , certainly feels like -6 degrees. Coldest night of the year looks in the offing tonight, and tomorrow will see temp struggling to get above freezing I suspect with cloud moving in -  a very raw day with the promise of some snow later on.

Hoping for another 'snow watch' evening tomorrow night..