Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Stormy Period Inbound...

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

I would agree with this, We have seen this so often in the past before. It could be that the model is at first to progressive on 

a pattern change. It could also be the possible effects of a MJO wave and its implications on the stratosphere. Again the 

amplification could be down to the strong  heatflux that we have seen in the stratosphere will have effects as it propagates 

downward towards the troposphere. 

That is a very weak signal at the moment as the clusters highlight: post-14819-0-42015300-1420979875_thumb.p

Cooling down from Tuesday for the south with two periods of heavy rain: 

post-14819-0-97273900-1420980035_thumb.g

Looking drier Friday-Sunday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

http://www.meteociel...6&carte=&mode=0

it seems the storm now is much further  south so  the that  could make things interesting to say  the  least!!!

I'm confused, why do you keep posting perturbation 16?

• Like 5

Posted

Afternoon all

Further to Steves post I won't add much re the storm apart from hopes that it gets downgraded. I come out in hives at just the suggestion of deep low pressure getting anywhere near me. A few bad past experiences down here have firmly put me in the Hate Storms Camp.

Anyway in terms of this lack of agreements with the outputs much of this emanates from upstream developments over in the USA and Canada.

A bellwether of sorts is the development of a shortwave around T96hrs over the central northern USA/Canadian border, its track and how far it digs into the USA will effect low heights over Greenland.

Posted

Afternoon all

A bellwether of sorts is the development of a shortwave around T96hrs over the central northern USA/Canadian border, its track and how far it digs into the USA will effect low heights over Greenland.

and that all depends on what the upper air pattern actually is at 96h, see below; follow the GFS prediction of the flow at 300mb, near enough to where the actual jet is flowing to see this outcome?

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsavneur.html

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

6z snow risk on Tuesday and early Wednesday, then again Wednesday night with leading edge snow into Thursday..lamp posts and radar at the ready :-)

post-4783-0-31890800-1420982086_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-06093300-1420982094_thumb.pn

• Like 4

Posted

6z snow risk on Tuesday and early Wednesday, then again Wednesday night with leading edge snow into Thursday..lamp posts and radar at the ready :-)

As IF advised yesterday the GFS snow charts are not great. Looking at the hi res models and they paint a totally different view:

post-14819-0-28821900-1420982610_thumb.p  

The initial front tomorrow is as expected (looking at the uppers) just rain for all: post-14819-0-86964900-1420982829_thumb.p

• Like 2

Posted

They may not be great but snow could fall to low levels at times next week according to the 6z and other output, again I choose to be positive about possible wintry prospects.

• Like 9

Posted

They may not be great but snow could fall to low levels at times next week according to the 6z and other output, again I choose to be positive about possible wintry prospects.

Fair enough. Its just those GFS charts suggest's some sort of snowfest when in reality it's just a narrow weakening cold front with showers following. Though UKMO has a trough (or three) possibly in the flow following:

post-14819-0-10288000-1420983434_thumb.g

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Lots of interest in the charts for this next week, very much looking forward to the storm potential. I also like the look of some decent convective activity too. Absolute brilliant week to come up for weather enthusiasts, as there literally is something for everyone. Rain, Snow, Winds, Hail, thunder and lightning potential too.

Id happily take this 2nd to a beasterly! Still a long way to go with the winter for some proper cold, be an interesting few weeks model watching! 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

It's not just the GFS showing a risk of snow, even the met office have mentioned something wintry for Tuesday as cold air digs SE. The bottom line is, I'm not making it up, it's what the charts show, again I prefer to look on the bright side at what could go right instead of looking for everything that could go wrong..it's about time the south had a change of luck this winter!

True I wouldn't mind if the stalling cold front falls as snow instead of rain, but I think it could cause even more problems when it melts, than it would do if it just rained flooding wise.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy snow/ heatwaves

It's not just the GFS showing a risk of snow, even the met office have mentioned something wintry for Tuesday as cold air digs SE. The bottom line is, I'm not making it up, it's what the charts show, again I prefer to look on the bright side at what could go right instead of looking for everything that could go wrong..it's about time the south had a change of luck this winter!

....hope your right frosty...but the updated met office warnings make no mention of snow anywhere
  • Like 2

Posted

....hope your right frosty...but the updated met office warnings make no mention of snow anywhere

Perhaps they will mention something tomorrow regarding Tuesday, as things stand, Tuesday looks like being cold and bright with wintry showers but also longer spells of rain, sleet or wet snow, I think some areas will see a covering on tuesday.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Fair enough. Its just those GFS charts suggest's some sort of snowfest when in reality it's just a narrow weakening cold front with showers following. Though UKMO has a trough (or three) possibly in the flow following:

attachicon.giffax72s.gif

do how ever wish the heights to our south would pee of.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW

Just been looking at the f/cast for next week and once again the snow threat has diminished due to the SW-NE track of the Tue Low and the cold spell that was meant to come from Thu onwards has turned into the usual W/NWly airstream with wind and rain for most...! and i thought winter was meant to start next week...even the Middle East has had a few inches of snow...!! wish that Jet-stream would just bugger off Sth where it should be...

• Like 8

Posted

Have to say that the next couple of extended ens suites are eagerly awaited to see if the gefs trend towards the ECM or vica versa.

Are we finally going to see the heights to the south/southwest/southeast relent for more than a couple of days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy snow/ heatwaves

Just been looking at the f/cast for next week and once again the snow threat has diminished due to the SW-NE track of the Tue Low and the cold spell that was meant to come from Thu onwards has turned into the usual W/NWly airstream with wind and rain for most...mozt! and i thought winter was meant to start next week...even the Middle East has had a few inches of snow...!! wish that Jet-stream would just bugger off Sth where it should be...

so frustrating isnt it....and no doubt the upcoming 12zs will continue the downgrades.

Posted

Have to say that the next couple of extended ens suites are eagerly awaited to see if the gefs trend towards the ECM or vica versa.

Are we finally going to see the heights to the south/southwest/southeast relent for more than a couple of days.

I was looking at the end of the run of the dynamic trop chart ba and it would support this view.

• Like 1

Posted

so frustrating isnt it....and no doubt the upcoming 12zs will continue the downgrades.

To be honest, widespread snow has not been shown within 120 hours this month.

Edited by mulzy
  • Like 5

Posted

At 72h how on earth the senior man can inject 3 troughs at that time scale is beyond my understanding of meteorology. At 12h probably at 24h following clumps/clusters of cloud on the IR Sat is fine but 72h-come on laddie!

Explain to the current course of new forecasters at Exeter Met how you justify it please?

see I do not blindly follow Met UK, if I think there is something wrong I say so.

Perhaps with the use of simulated IR charts like on the DWD ICON?

icon-7-73_wxz8.png

Edited by Gael_Force
  • Like 2

Posted

and that all depends on what the upper air pattern actually is at 96h, see below; follow the GFS prediction of the flow at 300mb, near enough to where the actual jet is flowing to see this outcome?

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsavneur.html

Obviously but its easier to highlight a single feature that is reflective of that, a pointer that's easy to pick up by looking at the charts.

• Like 1