Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Stormy Period Inbound...

Paul

Surely the top chart is mis leading.

If we want cold n/e or easterlies, then the above charts wont be that cold.

You would need to look at the temp anolomy  from say the 18th onwards.

The top chart is the 2m anomaly, from 13th January to the 21st January. :sorry:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Some fantastics charts this morning from GFS, GFS P and even the ECM is on board with the idea! Its also nice to these changes occuring in the closer time frame aswell! Come onn, everything is crossed for this too happen!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow

If these current outputs verify then what are the chances on snow on the south Coast, desperate for my 2 year old to see some of the White stuff, any info would be much appreciated.

• Like 2

Posted

Are you expecting an easterly like that though nick? A Scandi high based easterly?

A euro trough of some kind seems reliable so that means we don't need a strong easterly to deliver wintry Sypnotics.

Plenty of water to flow under the mid term bridge at this stage though.

Any easterly will do! Regardless of whether its one based with high centre to the north rather than Scandi, the former at this point more likely.

I agree though re the Euro trough, as long as that's there it will be on the wintry side, still a lot of outputs to get through however so we'll just see how things evolve.

Posted

If these current outputs verify then what are the chances on snow on the south Coast, desperate for my 2 year old to see some of the White stuff, any info would be much appreciated.

Of course it's a big if but the ECM/ GFS's would deliver snow. The GFS's with that strong easterly flow would likely bring some decent snow showers. There might also be some more organised precip working westwards. Although you're inland and further west experience from living down that way if I was still there I certainly would be happy to see the GFS's verify.

The ECM is a bit more complex and with shortwaves running se on the eastern flank likely snow, that could bring significant snow to favoured areas.

The ECM however is more messier and risky, if I had to choose which I'd prefer to see verify it would be the GFS trend if only because its less stressful !

I should add if I was living in the west I'd go for the ECM with a westwards correction, generally if the models start increasing the blocking signal to the ne then normally this gathers pace with westwards corrections.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Some nice charts this morning. Gfs gfsp and ECM all seem in agreement about something colder heading for our shores. But still a huge slice of caution from myself. Until we see the met office come on board I will remain sceptical for now. Especially were a easterly is concerned.

• Like 3

Posted

Just a word of caution for those in the W with regards to a possible slider LP.

What has basically happened since I noted the potential since yesterday morning is the models ,especially GFS, are trending towards more significant high pressure to our N with the slider LP backing further W. So with this trend developing what could happen is the Low pressure misses the UK as it tracks W of the UK on a SE,ly trajectory. The positive of this is a stronger more sustained colder spell beginning with a N,ly before veering to a NE/E,ly.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

good afternoon ,my practice on chart downloading is nearly complete ,just need to get the chart to appear on my post .we are i feel sat watching the possible change we were all hoping for and todays models are delivering .As other posters have pointed out we dont need a big block situated in a clasic synoptic situation just some reasonable low temperatures if a trough front approaches aligned correctly .A Historical example would be Feb 18th 1978 ,low tracking s/east then east /s east to our s west ,it was a surface high on near continent that gave us the temp for a pasting for some .i do so much like todays ECM ,hoping tonight will be a big upgrade of sorts in its later frames .Gfs a very usefull tool for finer detail sometimes and of course Met Office Faxes very handy for getting a feel on how things are changing during the 24hr period .Another point regarding current possible synoptics is that we can get situations say 4 days ahead which look good for snow then it is taken away ,but another good possibility arrives because of that developing situation ,all very frustrating but we are weather watchers ,so i will finish and await this evenings model runs , :cold:  :yahoo:

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

you're onboard then mate - read their update  (from the android ap 6/15 dayer)

There is also a low risk of some more persistent rain and perhaps snow moving across southern and central areas for a time. Through next week, there is a trend towards generally colder conditions than of late bringing an increased risk of snow, more especially in northern and eastern areas. Temperatures will be generally below average with overnight frosts, locally severe.

Glad to see yours has updated i am still on this mornings 02.05 am :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Hope the ecm is the winner shows more disruption and more snow. An easterly can sometimes be good but overall they mainly bring dry and cold conditions with wintry showers to the east coasts. Sooo come on ecm bring the snow.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

the met office 6-15 day update is going to show a marked change very soon.

Met office latest update is a lot more wintry.. it looks like the Gfs parallel output in particular should be applauded this afternoon, and of course the Ecm 00z..yipeeeee

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Met office have not updated there outlook since this early hours of this morning!.

But what I have noticed is the shift of cold goes from the west side to the Eastern side so that tells me a northerly and North easterly.

To be realistic they also mention milder during rain this of coarse is the warm sector issues.

It's also worth noting that before Christmas all models were onboard with a colder outlook only for the whole lot to collapse.

But is this the work of wave 1&2 strat activity certainly looks that way.

The one positive for coldies is the removal of higher heights into Central Europe and lower heights to our East for now with the Azores out the way to the south east although I still don't fancy the chances on Greenland heights although back in 09/10 winter the initial signs were not far of what it's like now was stormy wet and slowly but surely gathered pace !.

It's possible but I'm absolutely a nervous reck because we been here before.

Although seeing the ukmo in a good position for cold fills me with hope but also caution as last night NOAA ditched the ukmo!.

Did the ukmo have its raw output modified or did they go with the raw output?.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

• Like 4

Posted

UKMO indicate it is thought to be MJO-related in their latest assessment. They note the risk of a more blocked scenario establishing (as per some DET runs and also EC-EPS members), at least for a while, with enhanced likelihood frost/snow, especially in E re latter. However they also advise on 'fine balance' UK sits in re any blocking to E versus mobility from W... no high confidence yet on which will prevail.

Looking at the ext EPS mean from 00z and the latest EC32 output I certainly wouldn't put money on extended blocking based on that.

• Like 1

Posted

Looking at the ext EPS mean from 00z and the latest EC32 output I certainly wouldn't put money on extended blocking based on that.

No. Exeter add signs of mobility return later in trend period.

Would you be kind enough to guide us on wether the forecasts have updated on line please,as some of us are not seeing an update as yet.

Many thanks

I've no idea. I believe those are a PWS task.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Met office have not updated there outlook since this early hours of this morning!.

BA posted a snippet of their update which is a lot more wintry than previously, indeed, it's the most wintry update for a good few years, much more in line with gfs p and ecm

Im glad we are seeing an end to this daily switching of milder and cooler airmasses with cold air now likely to dig in from the weekend onwards with an increasing risk of snow and severe frosts.

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 2

Posted

If we can get a 4 or 5 day Cold spell I think that would be great considering it has only really jumped out the hat in the last 24 hours, the good thing with Easterlies is that when they do embed in they are sometimes hard to get rid of.  Now we just need the continent to cool down rapidly so that if the winds do veer E/NE they are slightly more potent.