Sign in to follow this  
Captain Shortwave

Southeast England and East Anglia - Weather Chat

Snowing again :)

May possibly be rain/snow too cold for me to investigate closer I'm only paying attention to the big flakes :D

Sounds like a 50/50 chance,right up to 0 hours,no one seems to know what will come out the sky.

Living on Epsom downs i guess i have a bit better chance than most but a one night event a non event.

The clouds are telling me I have a front on it's way. I'm no good with names, but I go by the whispy cloud then the bank of 'watery sun' clouds behind. So i think i may get something.

I love the colour of the clouds as a snowy front approaches.

Has a distinctive colour unlike the drab rain clouds we are all so used to.

Raining with a temp of 3.4 : (

What time did/does the 6z fax chart come out? That doesn`t scream out of the game imby

fax24s.gif?2

I really hope that low becomes a cut off low so that we will draw in some colder air from the east!!

My boss hasn't made it in from Hailsham due to 'snow'!!

lol Plum

Over the course of the day, I have seen the Met Office hour-by-hour forecast for my location go from various periods of light snow over the next 36 hours, to less snow (but still snow) then snow with a bit of sleet, then mostly sleet and a smidge of snow, then mostly sleet interspersed with rain, mostly rain with a hint of sleet and now just rain all the way.

Never expected much from this but intensely irritating - will it go the other way? So rarely does....

current dew points hovering around 0 - -1 around West London up into North london..

Towards south coast Kent ETC looking @ +1 - +2

Heathrow East currently at around +3-5 degrees..

West of Heathrow temp hasn't risen above 0 degrees!

This is one of the worst cold spell and will soon be forgotten.

This time last week,Snow Sunday,then Snow Tuesday/Wednesday with 12" drifts forecast.

Now look what it has turned out to be a 50/50 chance of snow as we all know it will be rain only.

What a let down this has been.

ive gone from snow all day to heavy rain and ive had the meto confirm to me no snow for the area so its kinda sad

This is one of the worst cold spell and will soon be forgotten.

This time last week,Snow Sunday,then Snow Tuesday/Wednesday with 12" drifts forecast.

Now look what it has turned out to be a 50/50 chance of snow as we all know it will be rain only.

What a let down this has been.

Never take any output as gospel until T6! Especially when it comes to snow forecasts, it's the hardest thing to predict in our neck of the woods!

Just to see some snow falling would make my winter, as that would mean it's a 100% better than last year!

The weather on Met0 for wednesday keeps on changing, i've got light snow, i've just got rain i've just got cloud, then today back to light snow and then it's back to cloud.

I really think it's a case of seeing what we wake up too tomorrow.

Never take any output as gospel until T6! Especially when it comes to snow forecasts, it's the hardest thing to predict in our neck of the woods!

Just to see some snow falling would make my winter, as that would mean it's a 100% better than last year!

Go got that right mate

clear skies- just anonther hour & the temps will be on there way down-

want to be down @0c by 7pm...

s

Considering some of the surprises across the Region this morning I'm surprised the meto are bullish about nothing really settling in the SE especially those with heights on there side.

Only takes small adjustments !!

Edited by Kent Blizzard

heavy rain hear all snow melted :angry:  :angry:  any chance of it freezing tonight and loads of snow coming in :cc_confused:

heavy rain hear all snow melted :angry:  :angry:  any chance of it freezing tonight and loads of snow coming in :cc_confused:

No chance 

Considering some of the surprises across the Region this morning I'm surprised the meto are bullish about nothing really settling in the SE especially those with heights on there side.Only takes small adjustments !!

Completely agree I wasn't expecting anything today and have been surprised with two (all be it brief) snow showers

Considering some of the surprises across the Region this morning I'm surprised the meto are bullish about nothing really settling in the SE especially those with heights on there side.

Only takes small adjustments !!

It's because the ppn which ran into the south-east wasn't connected to the advancing warm front from the Atlantic. As temperatures continue to rise and cloud cover remains, with rising upper air temps, any front edge leading snow is likely to be short lived I fear. I hope I'm wrong but I stick to my thoughts earlier in the week that the original Met Office forecast was right: snow confined largely to the hills of the north. Any snow south of that is likely to be transient and washed away. The frontal attack line is oriented wrong and this is not helped by the extremely slow progress: there is very little undercut taking place so that ppn that even starts out as snow soon turns sleety and then to rain as 850hPa temps rise, lifting both air temps and dew temps. It's all just the wrong side of marginal.

We look to the next cold incursion.

current dew points hovering around 0 - -1 around West London up into North london..

Towards south coast Kent ETC looking @ +1 - +2

Heathrow East currently at around +3-5 degrees..

West of Heathrow temp hasn't risen above 0 degrees!

Eh? I'm East of Heathrow but dew point is at zero, nowhere near 3-5 ! Edited by steveinsussex

Met Office don't think the snow will reach / affect E.Anglia. All warnings stop as far as E Midlands, but do include Peterborough.

I'm in St Neots, about 25 miles south of Petereborough, so may see a flake or two, but if I was a betting man I would have to say sleet at best if anything fell around here.

It stayed well below freezing here in Milton Keynes all morning, we had a heavy frost but no snow....on the plus side the local high school hasn't closed due to heavy snow which was predicted by the local radio station last week so Master D's education hasn't suffered at all ........

post-10773-0-45175100-1421764865_thumb.j

Skies looking milkey to my west!

And darker to the north west

Edited by john mac