Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Lowest min temperature winter 2014 - 2015 season

damianslaw

Posted

Our lowest min so far I think is around -6.5 degrees we might have seen -7 degrees on Monday night. In an average year we would expect to see a min of about -8 degrees. Its not often we go below -10 degrees, we need a good snow cover and no winds/clear skies under polar air for such temps.

Its been preety average so far on the frost front, the last 2/3 weeks have seen a number of decent frosts.

Posted

We have collectively struggled to see low minima countrywide for a few years now. The conditions hardly ever seem to play ball; cloud will roll in or a breeze will pick up at some point in the night, and obviously the aid of snowcover has severely been lacking in most places.

We seem to be in a very mobile phase, at least in the winter months, where the most conducive conditions either fail to materialize in the first place, or only persist for a few hours at a time.

Persistent cloud during the night has been particularly prevalent.

Posted

The last two winters have persistently seen a pattern of perfectly clear nights somehow failing to drop below freezing. Or if they do, it's either down to freezing by midnight only to rise in the small hours, or dip to -0.5 for an hour just before dawn.

For all the snow and cold days, 2012/13 was notably poor for really cold nights as well. Lots of -1s and 2s but very few any colder. January had 10 consecutive days of snowcover yet couldn't even manage a -5.

Posted

Last year was the worst in living memory that I`ve recorded.

The Christmas spell was poor here for low mins,the inversion must of been very narrow.

But at least January came to the rescue at -4.0c the other made -6c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The lowest temperature here this winter so far is -3.7c on Feb' 2nd. As I've mentioned before elsewhere this site relies on a deep cold air mass for low minima, radiative cooling plays only a minor part as the cold air slides away into the valleys, but in an average winter the coldest night is around -5c.

Below -6c is uncommon and the last time -7c was achieved was January 1993. December 1995 and 2010 came close though with -6.9c and -6.7c respectively.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Lowest temperature locally this winter was -5.5C on 30 December. It's fallen below -5C on two other occasions, and below -4C on several.

Low minimums have been lacking since 2010. Even with 2013 and all the snow we had, we only managed -7C since it was so cloudy even at night. 2013 did manage a maximum of -4C though so that's impressive enough.

In 2010 it fell to -18C in these parts. Topcliffe managed -20C.

Heathrow managed a low of -8C this year which seems very cold for them. Lowest since 2010.

Edited by cheese

Posted

The lowest temperature here this winter so far is -3.7c on Feb' 2nd. As I've mentioned before elsewhere this site relies on a deep cold air mass for low minima, radiative cooling plays only a minor part as the cold air slides away into the valleys, but in an average winter the coldest night is around -5c.

Below -6c is uncommon and the last time -7c was achieved was January 1993. December 1995 and 2010 came close though with -6.9c and -6.7c respectively.

Low minima are very rare here aswell due to having the Humber a couple of miles to the south-west and the North-sea less than 10 miles to the east. We're not a very windy location but truly calm nights are quite rare. In 35 years we've only dropped below -10C on five occasions and on average we drop below -5C every other year.

Despite that the last two years have been notable for the lack of low minima. Since January 2013 we've not dropped below -2.4C (recorded last month).

A more notable period here was that we didn't drop below -5.4C between December 1995 and November 2010. Quite an extended stint!

Posted

Low minima are very rare here aswell due to having the Humber a couple of miles to the south-west and the North-sea less than 10 miles to the east. We're not a very windy location but truly calm nights are quite rare. In 35 years we've only dropped below -10C on five occasions and on average we drop below -5C every other year.

Despite that the last two years have been notable for the lack of low minima. Since January 2013 we've not dropped below -2.4C (recorded last month).

A more notable period here was that we didn't drop below -5.4C between December 1995 and November 2010. Quite an extended stint!

-10c only achieved twice in 38 years here, both in January 1987.

January 1979 managed -9.2, 1982 -9.1c and 1985 -9.5c.

With the last -7c being 22 years ago I sometimes wonder if I'll ever record such values again.

Posted

-10c only achieved twice in 38 years here, both in January 1987.

January 1979 managed -9.2, 1982 -9.1c and 1985 -9.5c.

With the last -7c being 22 years ago I sometimes wonder if I'll ever record such values again.

What was your lowest maximum on January 1987.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Am surprised at that terminal,i used to live at 340m and we got several days at -12 and one -13deg in December 2010a typical winter would produce at least a -5 or -6 deg.We are always between 2 to 3 degrees colder than the valley bottoms except for very cold temps when some of the valleys gave a - 16 deg in 2010.I also do remember taking quite a lot of readings at -12 in December 1981 and jan 82 but my thermometer was very basic but it did give an idea.Wish I had taken all the readings since then but only really done religiously these last couple of years.

Posted

Am surprised at that terminal,i used to live at 340m and we got several days at -12 and one -13deg in December 2010a typical winter would produce at least a -5 or -6 deg.We are always between 2 to 3 degrees colder than the valley bottoms except for very cold temps when some of the valleys gave a - 16 deg in 2010.I also do remember taking quite a lot of readings at -12 in December 1981 and jan 82 but my thermometer was very basic but it did give an idea.Wish I had taken all the readings since then but only really done religiously these last couple of years.

Perhaps your 340m was in a general area of high ground? My 'problem' is that, apart from to the west, the land falls away rapidly to around 100m so there's nothing to hold any cold air resulting from radiative cooling, it just moves downhill.

Buxton's minima ( at a similar altitude to me ) are almost always lower than here in quiet, clear weather, often much lower, because their radiatively cooled air can only move so far before it meets higher ground to stop it, so cold air pooling can take place.