SSW correlation to snow - a local study

I have used daily sleet and snowfall data in Wokingham from Bernard Burton's website and also the dates of SSWs from Andrew Charlton's paper http://www.columbia.edu/~lmp/paps/charlton%2Bpolvani-JCLIM-2007.pdf

I have then looked at how many times out of the 16 SSWs we have experienced snow and or sleet in Wokingham after x amount of days.

X axis is the number of days after the SSW date (when winds at 60N and 10hPa first turn easterly from Nov to March.)

Y axis is the frequency of snow and or sleet from 1978-2005 in Wokingham.

I am after suggestions especially how to compare to non SSW years?

It seems there is a 50% chance of sleet or snow in my area within 11 days of the start of a SSW.

Any feedback welcome.

post-15692-0-21976700-1419335217_thumb.j

Edited by muppet
  • Like 1

I have used daily sleet and snowfall data in Wokingham from Bernard Burton's website and also the dates of SSWs from Andrew Charlton's paper http://www.columbia.edu/~lmp/paps/charlton%2Bpolvani-JCLIM-2007.pdf

I have then looked at how many times out of the 16 SSWs we have experienced snow and or sleet in Wokingham after x amount of days.

X axis is the number if days after the SSW date (when winds at 60N and 10hPa first turn easterly from Nov to March.)

Y axis is the frequency of snow and or sleet from 1978-2005 in Wokingham.

I am after suggestions especially how to compare to non SSW years?

It seems there is a 50% chance of sleet or snow in my area within 11 days of the start of a SSW.

Any feedback welcome.

A start would be to find out what the % chance of snow on average is within 11 days of any stated date in any average stratospheric conditions over the period of 1978-2005.

The only issue I may have is with overlaps.

Eg if there was a ssw on 20 feb and then another year on 25 feb this creates a period of overlap.

I think that doing it this way actually makes snow less likely after a ssw. ?

ok, I have compared non SSW days (and the following days after the start) to SSW periods, for varying amounts of time.

It seems where I am, the most noticeable (?) difference is 2 to 3 weeks after the SSW start, but it only seems to yield 2 or 3 % more snowy/sleety days.