Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - The final stretch to Christmas

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

ECMWF has very similar track to this below, posted on Twitter from the hi-res NMM output:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

This maintains the general trend from today of advertising a generally Wales-Midlands-East Anglia track of the snow threat - once again to stress this does not mean this is the final track, but at present this seems the most likely scenario on the basis of forecast models.

This met office visual firms up on this idea too:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I wouldn't be paying too much attention to projected totals just yet as these situations tend to become pretty dynamic.

I'm off to enjoy the rest of the day - hopefully an exciting day of watching to come tomorrow

SK

Can I ask where you got that info-graphic from SK?

I haven't seen the MO put one out?! There's another one floating about, very similar to that one too. While it may not be far out, I cannot find any legit sources for it.

A late merry xmas to you, keep up the good posts. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

All eyes to be kept on how this deep cold pool a stones throw away is handled over the next couple of days. Any slight movement North of that high pressure system could result into the SE tapping into some of that real cold air. 

Anything past 150 hours I'm going to pretty much ignore tbh. We've seen how much things have changed over this last week, its unbelievable!

P.S Wouldn't this be pretty funny if the parallel's predecessor picks out a scenario like this mornings run and proves to be correct...!!

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

GFS (p) not up to much this morning quickly flattening the high but GFS Op is quite interesting through hi res keeping things cold at the surface and just about bringing in some colder air from the continent toward the end for the far SE - well what is left of it.

gfsnh-0-186.png?0gfsnh-1-192.png?0

Out into FI and day 10 manages some undercut.

gfsnh-0-240.png?0

And from there it is battleground UK between airmasses. (Note the PV is pretty much split)

gfsnh-0-300.png?0

Parallel very different though as stated but the Op run does show there is till fight in the high yet and is actually pretty cold right the way through.

gfsnh-0-210.png?0

UKMO not stunning by any means but certainly not bad. A lot would depend on the track of the Atlantic low and how much it developed.

UN144-21.GIF?26-05

GEM is flat at the same point so still a long way to go before we can consider the output as moving back in our favour but I'm pleased with the small steps made this morning so far as it only needs incremental steps and small adjustments to get us back to keeping the Atlantic at bay.

gemnh-0-144.png?00

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Can't help wondering if this winter is going a little bit 1954-55 wise where repeated attempts to push heights up into the North Atlantic were continually rebuffed until persistence began ro win the day resulting in this.....

Rrea00119550214.gif

We've only had two periods of Jan - March which have been colder since.....1963 and 1979....so that would certainly do me. Of course we only see what actaully did happen then, not how the models would have projected it to. But I have a feeling that in the same circumstances now, it was a pattern GFS would look to keep flattening in its later reaches....just as it seems wont to do now (as indeed as did keep happening in the early part of that winter)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Euro4 doesn't have the ppn getting into Northern England, looking good for the Midlands though.

14122706_2600.gif14122703_2600.gif

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

I think the ECM sums up the hi-re for the next 10 days. A sinking high till d6-7 keeping us dry with surface cold. Then a flatter more Atlantic driven spell, similar to early December, with short wave ridge/trough combo. NH perspective we maintain a Pacific/Alaskan ridge so this may do damage in the long run strat wise and by D10 the PV is still mobile so the pattern of this winter of it not setting up shop continues:

post-14819-0-05614800-1419580172_thumb.g post-14819-0-27608100-1419580171_thumb.g 

Looking at the GEFS in FI and at D13 the mean is reflective of the clusters: post-14819-0-64878200-1419580246_thumb.p

It is continuing on from the D10 ECM chart with a zonal flow, though not as strong as it could be. With all the blocking potential out of our realm (Pacific) we are stuck with the recycling PV. D16 takes us up to Jan 11 and the pattern is maintained. No sign of any strat effects, just  a continuation of the PV coming and going to NE Canada, blocked from going anywhere else by the Pacific ridging. That set up is good for reloads of PM air running off the 850's PV lobe over Canada as it cycles around Arctic Canada/Canada. But is very unhelpful for any block to set up in our sector as it will power up the jet from the NW.

Not a promising setup for the UK for the long term assuming the above is reflective of the outlook and it is very feasible. It seems clear now that trop wise we will struggle to get a HLB with any legs and we need to strike lucky with an SSW. The strat in GFS FI is underwhelming. At 10hpa warming fades after D7 and by D16:

p: post-14819-0-65891200-1419581096_thumb.p  op: post-14819-0-67057100-1419581129_thumb.p

A recent tweet: 

RyanMaue
Polar vortex hasn't completely split by 7-days ... big changes underway regardless way up there. Before & After http://t.co/mjIob6RZ0V
26/12/2014 06:53

So very interesting up there and looks like it could go either way re SSW for early Jan.

• Like 2

Posted

early thing to take from the 00z is that the forecast strat vortex split in week 2 could well be replicated in the trop which presents plenty of wintry opportunities for the mid lats. No reason to be downbeat on winter for the time being as in this scenario, even zonal becomes worth watching! (Though it could easily be the med pinching most of the snow again!)

The ECM day 10, whilst not worth analysis in itself, is a decent illustration what NH profile could verify when the split opens up from the other side. Plenty of others on view in the GEFS.

I Suspect that statistically, the westerlies will retain the upper hand for the time being on the NWP. (Thogh they look to be of the chilly variety)

And Steve, I couldn't bring myself to reference the gfs op as an illustration that the block could hold on at a higher latitude and force an undercut. especially as it does most of the work in low res.

One thing that those hoping the block can hang on should note that the upper ridge is sitting at a higher latitude than the surface ridge. That better than having it the other way around.

Most modelling sinks it but the fat lady hasn't quite been wheeled out onto the stage on this one as yet.

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

I don't think the models beyond 144hrs have any idea to be honest if we look at the models at face value they never really know the reality of a trop or vortex split and when they don't know they tend to drop back to default zonal.

But even the ecm shows that even with out a split there will still be many opportunities of polar maritime air as the dominant air source of coarse still brief higher upper air temps but very brief.

I still fancy a Scandinavia heights a very possible out come.

But still better than last year and you lucky sods North of the m4 enjoy sometimes I hate living on the south coast.

If by feb the pattern is the same then I throw the towel in.

And put it down to the spike in solar activity.

Hoping this year we see a complete decline in solar activity interested to see if next cycle will be lower than cycle24.

Anyway the strat thread still holding onto a event let's hope it delivers the goods.

Fed up with have heating on for cold wet although nice to see Jack Frost at least it feels like winter.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Morning All

IDO - todays cold & snow highlights the point that using means past 10 days is about as useful as a chocolate teapot-

Rewinding 10 days I seem to recall you presenting pretty much the same post as today - highlighting no real poential in the charts, infact apart from the images its almost a copy & paste. I think many said you would overlook a cold spell with snow & today is a clear example of why living in days 10-16 bears minimal relevence to reality -

S

It is late December so a brief period of snow as a low slides through for the lucky few can never be ruled out. Nothing out of the ordinary for an average late December. The following cold high is also seasonal but just normal at this time of year. Of course compared to last year...but that was a one off and to keep comparing to that would be like comparing each winter to 1963.

ECM mean at D10 reflective of the op!  post-14819-0-84358700-1419583636_thumb.g

Mostly when that happens there is good certainty. The GFS op in FI has little support for its cold outlook (coldest member most of FI):

post-14819-0-87991700-1419583774_thumb.g

So the most likely scenario is a flatter pattern after D7, and with a strong jet any undercut looks a low chance.

• Like 3

Posted

ECM mean at D10 reflective of the op!  attachicon.gifEDH1-240.gif

Mostly when that happens there is good certainty. The GFS op in FI has little support for its cold outlook (coldest member most of FI):

attachicon.gifgraphe6_1000_306_141___Londres (5).gif

So the most likely scenario is a flatter pattern after D7, and with a strong jet any undercut looks a low chance.

That gefs diagram for London looks rather chilly IDO, even for London. I suspect northern England might be even more of a wintry look about it. even if flatter does verify, I think it will be a cold zonal which, with some upstream amplification will provide for further surprises.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Morning All,i hope everyone enjoyed the big day.

Yes looking at the 2mt temperature graphs based on the 00z GFS run the mean looks quite chilly or even cold at times right through and really little different to the Op on many days.

A glance at Warks and Aberdeen shows this.

post-2026-0-22367100-1419586234_thumb.pnpost-2026-0-42012500-1419586247_thumb.pn

The runs do show the high coming under pressure around month end but with the vortex being pushed this way by the Pacific ridging the resident polar air  eases closer just to our north.

I think the temperature graphs indicate a lot of polar air in the mix from any westerlies that come this way as minimum amplification will do the trick.

Meanwhile maybe some snow for me and other central  areas today/tonight then a few cold and frosty days before any change.

The start of January doesn't look like we will evolve in to any mild pattern as the high eases away, based on the 00z outputs.

Edited by phil nw.
  • Like 4

Posted

Wouldn't get yo excited about snow, just had a heavy rain shower after a fairly harsh frost early on temp 2 dew 2c

Higher routes may do well out of this, bit I think there may just be a wintry mix to lower ground

Edited by Thunder Snow
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Wouldn't get yo excited about snow, just had a heavy rain shower after a fairly harsh frost early on temp 2 dew 2c

The Meto seem to be, Some parts of the Midlands could see up to 15cm later tonight..

• Like 9

Posted

my thoughts initially in this link

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/82113-boxing-day-snow-event-thoughts-and-reports/#entry3097491

a good day, for those in the ppn predicted area to try the Net Wx 'will it snow' post I did some years ago. If you use it properly and try to keep any understandable bias out it does work.

link following when I find it!

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/27989-how-to-try-and-forecast-snow/

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

This really is classic stuff today with rain spreading from the southwest and bumping into the colder air which then turns the rain to sleet and then wet snow, some central areas could see 15-20 cm which is a good 6 to 8 inches, and the good news is it will then freeze and no thaw is expected for certainly the reliable timeframe. I can see there being some impressive overnight minima once things settle down. Looking further ahead, the met office are bullish about the Atlantic returning during the second half of next week but things could become very interesting with battle ground scenarios, undercuts and general disruption and certainly not a return to run of the mill, mild Atlantic mush. I think January could deliver the wintry goods this time around. :-)

• Like 6

Posted

Morning All

IDO - todays cold & snow highlights the point that using means past 10 days is about as useful as a chocolate teapot-

Rewinding 10 days I seem to recall you presenting pretty much the same post as today - highlighting no real poential in the charts, infact apart from the images its almost a copy & paste. I think many said you would overlook a cold spell with snow & today is a clear example of why living in days 10-16 bears minimal relevence to reality -

It would surprise many that the GFS 00z op is probably the best run for snow since March 2013, when you look at the run quickly it may not appear that great but in FI ( which is of course unreliable ) its snow event after snow event for the UK.

It is infact close to a cobra run- sadly all the action is past 168 though.

Theres is a distinct model diversity today around 144 with the unusal pairing of the GFS & UKMO presenting an undercutting scenario, where as the ECM is flatter ( like IDO indicates above ).

Its all about fine margins of energy distribution & whether that gets under the block

If it does its a snowfest , if not ECM is very quick to reamplify......

S

It is late December so a brief period of snow as a low slides through for the lucky few can never be ruled out. Nothing out of the ordinary for an average late December. The following cold high is also seasonal but just normal at this time of year. Of course compared to last year...but that was a one off and to keep comparing to that would be like comparing each winter to 1963.

ECM mean at D10 reflective of the op!  attachicon.gifEDH1-240.gif

attachicon.gifgraphe6_1000_306_141___Londres (5).gif

Compare your posts of today with those 7-10 days ago. You are saying the same things.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

When I mentioned snow the other day I got a load of abuse for ramping, misleading and confusing and yet here we are, some areas are in for heavy snow followed by sharp frosts and freezing fog for the next five days at least. High pressure and cold surface conditions with minima well below freezing.

no karl, you got pulled up for over estimating it... 'a week of cold guaranteed' and 'blizzards' , you never post charts to highlight the areas that might get cold/snow, even here youre saying 'some areas'... well where?... that IS misleading and confusing for those with little knowlege but view these pages for info.

even this post is overstating what we are likely to get.... the bbc / news have daily maxs above freezing, no mention of fog, and little in the way of 'heavy snow' for 95% of the country.

todays shortwave will produce some snow, but its mostly rain for the south of the uk, its largely sleet or wet snow thats unlikely to settle but produce a slush-fest for the % where it will snow. very few places will get much in the way of lying snow (higher ground most favoured), although clearing skies after late rain/sleet / snow could well freeze whatevers on the ground. but a winter wonderland is imho highly unlikely. im in line for a dumping, tomorrow morning im expecting a crispy frozen slight covering at best.

wintry showers are expected tomorrow and sunday, but with daytime max's comfortably above zero anthing lying will slowly melt.

by tuesday much higher uppers are expected to cross the uk, with the southeast hanging on to the cold frosty conditions longest. now these uppers wont lift the temps much, and is likely to ride over the embedded cold air - inversion, and that means dull, raw, overcast, dry days . but it would prevent overnight fog and frost.

so we have 3 colder wintry days before things return to more average (which is cold). theres nothing  particualy mild unless those warmer uppers dont invert... weds-fri might turn out milder especially in the northwest, the southeast hangs on to the coldest weather longest.

• Like 6