Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - The final stretch to Christmas

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

So you didn't read it? I think it is irrelevant what the charts look like, either there is some missing or there isn't.

Experts?

Any one can Google the facts re airlines some routes New York to London down 30 per cent for one day ie today gobal max 3 per cent down. Comes up every year and clutters the model thread . We can now leave it for another year re blaming lack of data for high Shannon entropy or poor model forecasting. Edited by stewfox
  • Like 1

Posted

There actually is a lack of data Frosty, read Retron's post on TWO

I've not read his post but this debate is now a Christmas tradition. A few years ago on here someone posted all the data collected prior to the Christmas holiday period and then during it and the comparison showed that although there was a reduction in data collected it was a relatively small decrease. My recollection is that some flight data was missing.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow, Thunderstorms & Summer Plumes

Just a last on the model data issue. "ECMWF DATA 24/12 18Z = 177831 total obs. ECMWF DATA 25/12 12z = 49240 total obs." This should clear up the topic, whether it vastly affects the runs I do not know, but clearly a lot less data on today's 12z compared to yesterday.

Link to this http://old.ecmwf.int/products/forecasts/d/charts/monitoring/coverage/dcover/ :smiliz64:

Edited by Chris D

Posted

So, from a trop viewpoint it looks pretty grim. If (and big if) I've understood the signs from the strat thread the future looks pretty positive as we go into Jan. Both can't be right so we are at in interesting fork in the road.

Yes there are certainly some interesting developments strat wise, but are the models picking these signals up yet?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

With a warming stratosphere, I for one do not expect anything like the super mobile pattern we saw this time last year.

2012/13 saw outputs like this and did not pick up the cracking snow event on the 18-20th January until a few days out. With the heights set to be in place over the pole the whole time, I expect subtle changes to happen with the outputs over the coming week. Plenty of opportunities could happen with the heights present over the pole.

Anyway, hope everyone has had a blessed Christmas Day.

Thankyou to everyone for your inputs to all the topics :D it's been a pleasure!

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Merry Christmas to all.

There has been a gradual cooling trend since the start of December. Will it continue or will the Atlantic storm in as usual and leave many forecasts in tatters?  Nobody knows for sure. 

Here's to the cold trend continuing and all of us seeing a decent spell of cold in the next 6 weeks :drinks:

• Like 5

Posted

The ECM ens bring some pretty low heights into the n Atlantic which will no doubt spawn some 'runners' along the base of the upper trough. This is a consistent signal and cool/cold zonal looks to be the way we're headed. That's assuming that the strat doesn't throw a curveball and change the trop polar profile with a marked split in week 2. There are signs that some weak upper ridging will be in the east Greenland area which could divert the jet away from its normal recurve back ne as it reaches the east Atlantic.

Looks pretty assured (as Ian's info that only 15% of the ecm ens support blocking hanging on to our east) but in thus game things are seldom that straightforward.

• Like 1

Posted

re the missing data

An annual red herring. Not getting involved, some years ago I posted the response from NOAA which said it had little if any effect and was 'filtered' at the start up I think was the phrase they used. Write to EC and MET and see what their response is. Data gets missed daily for a variety of reasons hence the comment from NOAA.

It makes good folk lore on here though every Xmas.

If there is missing data? how could you filter it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

The ECM ens bring some pretty low heights into the n Atlantic which will no doubt spawn some 'runners' along the base of the upper trough. This is a consistent signal and cool/cold zonal looks to be the way we're headed. That's assuming that the strat doesn't throw a curveball and change the trop polar profile with a marked split in week 2. There are signs that some weak upper ridging will be in the east Greenland area which could divert the jet away from its normal recurve back ne as it reaches the east Atlantic.

Looks pretty assured (as Ian's info that only 15% of the ecm ens support blocking hanging on to our east) but in thus game things are seldom that straightforward.

The ensembles could just as easily "flip" back, we have seen it often enough. Usually it is from cold to mild unfortunately rather than the other way around but it can work both ways.

FI is well inside hi res output IMO so I don't take this seemingly good model agreement at face value as I normally would.

I must admit I didn't expect ECM to be so progressive this evening but I still expect a slow move back toward the block being more resilient than is currently being modelled and can still see an eventual turn around with block being modelled further NW out to about day 5 and with the pattern backed West somewhat and the high at a better latitude it wouldn't take big changes in the upstream pattern for us to see some undercut being modelled once more day 6 through day 7 looks like a good opportunity for a legendary turn around and that isn't the Christmas spirit talking.  :w00t:

Whatever happens I just can't see this fast-track to zonal that has appeared in most of the output today but obviously with cross model and ensemble support it is hard to be so bullish about a backtrack over the next couple of days.

If the worse happens we will just have to hope the jet digs south quickly and gives us another shot at building a block.

If I get some decent snowfall over the enxt couple of days my snow lust will be satiated for some time anyway. :good:

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather Patterns

HP hanging on for grim death at T120 on the GFS 18z. Still rolling out.

Posted

The extended ens picks this cold spell 14/12 when there was title apparently to look forward to on the modelling mucka. Of course they could be wrong but they don't often 'flip' with the long wave pattern.

Posted

This is just a hideous chart, it hurts my eyes.

Edit: at least the Atlantic is fairly blocked out though.

post-11585-0-50022700-1419545750_thumb.j

Edited by Weathizard
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

This is just a hideous chart, it hurts my eyes.

Really? Surface still very cold with the potential for ice days. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

New years day still cold on the parallel (south) not so on operational, could op backtrack to keep us cold and dry? similar to 2002 one of my coldest new years day's

• Like 1

Posted

Really? Surface still very cold with the potential for ice days. 

I think he means in terms of the general trend overall to be fair PS. Weatherwise, if you can't have cold with snow then cold and dry with frosty mornings will do me although the trend is for things to less turn from the West as we head through the week. 

Regardless if there is a lack of data or not, the trend has been for the PV across to Canada to get much stronger and the Atlantic to regain strength, although detail will be subject to change, these less complicated set ups do tend to mean predicting the overall trend is easier than it is if there was a cold and blocked set up to occur. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather Patterns

Is that shortwave going to undercut and have no decent cold to tap into. Ruddy typical. T186 GFS 18z.

Can anyone please explain why it disappears at T192H. Thanks Carl.

Edited by Carlrg

Posted

Any thoughts on latest Cohen blog u could share with us Ba?

They seem to base a fair bit on the output of one gefs run week 2. I assume they checked it to make sure it's well supported but the current extended ens look a bit different to the forecast he used so not really sure about it.

It might sound sacrilegious but over the past few weeks, that blog appears to be reacting to the output rather than predicting it which is what one might expect.

• Like 1

Posted

The end of the high res GFS Op looks pretty weird to me  - nothing seems to be happening - just a few small lows dotted about in the large PV

post-9179-0-14558700-1419546916_thumb.pn

post-9179-0-78902000-1419546938_thumb.pn

Maybe the weather is in on its hols as well

Edit

Soon fires up in the low res though

post-9179-0-88747500-1419547124_thumb.pn

Edited by swilliam