Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - The final stretch to Christmas

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

you may regret that in the morning mate.....

And anyone unfortunate enough to be in that part of Scarborough when the time comes  :shok: . 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
Over on NW they are getting out the Champaign which is ridiculous from one run, a UK High is a good bet for new year and the best we can hope for but a proper Scandy high is unlikely IMO.

Andy

You've got to laugh at some of the comments on TWO, nobody knows what is going to happen, it could go either way. So Andy's prediction is even a push

• Like 2

Posted

I refuse to get remotely excited about an easterly shown on one run from the GFS. It has my attention don't get me wrong, but it's flipped completely in the space of 6 hours! A pub run classic for now, to be continued, just don't expect to wake up at 6am to those same charts, because if they are still there I'll drive to Scarborough and skinny dip myself.

Honestly you seem to have such a up & down day it's a lot like the output we have been seeing the past few days.

Those who read my past few posts (A few days ago) as i stated a good chance of seeing a easterly set up call it a gut feeling...

However viewing the latest output and the hints if not trend to a cold easterly especially from the gfs which shows a big backtrack should we take that as gospel?

IMO I don't think so i feel that a half way house will play out I.E a settled period with frost and fog on offer. After that it's anyone's guess/prediction.

I'd love to be proved wrong but after sticking to my previous thoughts and posts i now can see a sinking LP after christmas followed by a prolonged period of stubborn HP its where we go from that point i feel our winter will be won or lost.

Merry Christmas to all on here and I hope im way off the mark..

I doubt I'd get a lot of likes for this post such as sm & tiets however i like the rest of you are hoping for that big undercut into a cold easterly which is my favourite. Let's all hope the trend from the gfs continues and grows stronger. As we have seen before the gfs handles easterlys BAD and as we all know regarding past e/ene in winter comes the big two words with the gfs WESTWARD CORRECTION..

Edited by london-snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

Even if we do get an easterly will it actually be any good? Europe isn't very cold right now.....

Posted

Been some great chart's tonight and all getting very exiting ' but Curiosity killed the cat .. wait until UKMO is certain as i only follow them and there Fax Charts , do not ever trust Computer Model's they are very Bullish at time's and they get your hope's up , then Bang .... Downgrades again ... Listen and learn .. i seen it all before many of time's in here ... Have a great Christmas Aqua Star Mist . :db:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Looking at the mods cant see much to get excited about yet all i can see is an outside chance of snow for the far se and proberbly scotland and maybe higher ground but no widespread snow forecast yet and the scandanavian high is in fi territory and we have all seen this week not to take any model as gospel so hope for further upgrade tomoz. Merry Christmas evreone and hope we all get a snowy new year.

• Like 3

Posted

It really was quite something else last year I wonder what your friends in wi would of made of it all.

As for the models I think they make there calculations on what the see at that time and due to outside influences (ie solar activity)the 12h chart on the 00z run is never the same as following 00h chart on the 12z.

Sorry I meant to imply that, what was it from the initial variables caused the switch and how quickly in the model the flip occurred.  So I want to see the next control and ensembles from the ECM to see how confident it is relative short run, as we have a run of 1 for GFS (even if it is in the direction most posters want).

Best mate is from Seattle (so knows our weather), has lived in Texas and now lives with the polar opposite in WI.  He's in his 12th year and hates it - but they're paying him enough to live with it!

Edited by Trom

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Just to add a note of potential caution, where of course so many other notes are worthy of mention

But would i be right in saying a SSW could actually work against us? In that what seems to be the perfect set up for us could get disrupted to such an extent that an excellent winter outlook is shifted to a pretty mild one?

Great GFS eye candy, but I wonder if it's reached this potential solution without yet getting a hold on the disruption caused by an episode of SSW?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Decent output this morning so far out to mid term with the possibility of an Easterly setting up somewhat enhanced rather than diminished IMO and even if raging Easterlies are not modelled there is generally East flow setting up across the output and no sign of zonal so far.

GME looking good

gme-0-132.png?24-00

• Like 3

GFS 00Z FI showing the classic atlantic low/scandy high undercut you want for heavy snow in the midlands, and showing that even when the atlantic gets through its still cold with temps really struggling, great run with bags of potential, love when GFS is onboard. :)

• Like 9

Posted

The tracking of the low at 72HRS is far from nailed.The GEFS ensembles showing it centred anywhere from Scotland to Bristol.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs_cartes.php?ech=72&code=3&mode=0&carte=

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs_cartes.php?ech=72&code=14&mode=0&carte=

• Like 3

Posted

I just wish the latest mo update would back the last couple of runs up.Amazing turnaround though,but is it another false dawn for coldies?.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

I just wish the latest mo update would back the last couple of runs up.Amazing turnaround though,but is it another false dawn for coldies?.

Certainly going to be some happy people this morning. ECM is looking interesting out T192. Met will want to see some more runs and consistency before changing outlook but they will be taking note for sure. Maybe they are going to change it tomorrow as a present to the coldies!!

• Like 4

Posted

Great looking potential on the charts this morning. Snow potential in the reliable timeframe with some very exciting possibilities beyond. Nice to see a much weaker vortex than of late, an undercutting jet, and heights building over Scandinavia.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Looking like some snow potential for Sat-Sun as the lower exits the UK. About 40% in  the S/SE and 60% further north with hills probably the most likely. Lots of rain before the back edge snow.

London graph: post-14819-0-41811200-1419405434_thumb.g

The low on the GEFS cuts SE in line with ECM and the cold pool sets up in Europe. The ECM op is more in line with its mean of last night where the high slowly sinks and we lose the cold uppers:

D8: post-14819-0-63722900-1419405920_thumb.g post-14819-0-88189200-1419405951_thumb.g

Similar to the GEFS mean: post-14819-0-65396000-1419405988_thumb.p post-14819-0-97625300-1419406008_thumb.p

So compared to this time yesterday the GFS mean has the Atlantic slower so the MLB lasts longer and the ECM mean has the Atlantic faster and the MLB lasts shorter. Pretty much inline with normal expectancies. GEM goes with a ML high by D10 after a brief easterly:

post-14819-0-68877700-1419406277_thumb.p 

The GEFS after D10 are pretty hum drum for the UK but from Sat-Tue there are some low 850s so feeling seasonal. The GFS P keeps the cold going a bit longer but has little support. Its whether the models have again picked up a signal after D6 over done it (as usual) and will continue to downplay the possible easterly, more in line with the consistent mean (sinking high). Of more interest is the strat possibly in its last rites so early January things could change quickly.

Edited by i'm dreaming of...
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE

Frosty , I absolutely love your positivity and hope !

I'm just finding IT difficult to follow on here because for every 4 comment favouring the cold there is then 1 or 2 comments taking it away!

Appreciate that nobody knows and there is still a massive chunk of winter to come.

That's the mildies vs coldies anyway it looks like there is a good chance of an easterly developing on the models this am ecm has the high in a more favorable position to get some cold uppers comming from the east.There is a note of caution as we do not no were the jet will go and this will effect how cold any easterly will be,so positive out look over all good reasons to be happy but more runs needed to see what position the high takes.Ecm for me is the best with a north east flow! Edited by snowice
  • Like 1