Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

Where in Ponty are you, Andy?

I've noticed several times that you've seen snow while here, further up the Valley, it's been rain or sleet at best.

pencoedcae - right on the top of the mountain above the station

got a bit of a micro-climate here as we are always 1 - 2 degrees colder from the valley floor up here

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Where in Ponty are you, Andy?

I've noticed several times that you've seen snow while here, further up the Valley, it's been rain or sleet at best.

andy is so high up he is watching over all of us. He is like a weather SNOW god LOL

• Like 4

December 18th 2010 would be a candidate, yes, given that we saw well over a foot here. But to be fair to Derek, I don't think any of the forecasts could have foreseen the narrow, intense streamer which set up that day.

But my point still stands: our regional forecasters prefer to downplay prospective snow and, I've noticed, don't go into as much detail in the general synoptic patterns as certain regional forecasters *ahem*.

I think a few years back on of the streamer events, Derek said maybe a dusting for Swansea, Cardiff and Newport, and we had about 4 inches of snow that night. and there was a weather warning for significant snow as well.

Liquorice weather here today. Allsorts

Rain, hail, sleet, with a little snow mixed in and Severe Gales. (Last night 77mph in Mumbles. could really here it battering the windows.

Coming home from the gym 3c and heavy sleet. No chance here of settling snow tonight, so as a result, webcams watching Dowlais Top and good luck to those inland on higher ground;

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, thunder and lightning.

Hail galore and more thunder! :)

It brought the temp down from 6c to 4.2c in minutes.

Edited by Clair_Witch

Posted

I think a few years back on of the streamer events, Derek said maybe a dusting for Swansea, Cardiff and Newport, and we had about 4 inches of snow that night. and there was a weather warning for significant snow as well.

Liquorice weather here today. Allsorts

Rain, hail, sleet, with a little snow mixed in and Severe Gales. (Last night 77mph in Mumbles. could really here it battering the windows.

Coming home from the gym 3c and heavy sleet. No chance here of settling snow tonight, so as a result, webcams watching Dowlais Top and good luck to those inland on higher ground;

Ah how I'd like snow like that day in 2010. Most snow I've seen in my lifetime anyway.

post-8334-0-68653200-1421351168_thumb.jp

Edited by Jayfromcardiff
  • Like 4

Posted

Jusy gone absolutely crazy out there. Terrential rain and serious winds. Sounds worse than last night.

Now quiet as a mouse

Edited by Cwmbran Eira

Posted

Yes, Pete. I'm certain we all will, and potentially worse. If it's happened before, short of it being something highly exceptional (ie. ball lightning or an F5 tornado), it's highly likely to happen again.

gallery_160_785_888592.jpg

gallery_160_785_203914.jpg

gallery_160_785_947702.jpg

gallery_160_785_471991.jpg

Edited by Jackfrost
  • Like 6

The FAX charts have been released out to Sunday afternoon. Plenty of occluded fronts and troughs crossing the country over the period which could bring showers or longer spells of rain, sleet and snow to many areas. I wouldn't rule out a dusting of snow anywhere over the weekend. Friday and Saturday look pretty cold, Sunday into Monday the cold will strengthen its grip as a weak northerly flow sinks across the UK. I would think many parts of the UK on Monday will struggle to get above freezing with a sharp or severe frost in places along with freezing fog. 

attachicon.gif15-24h.gifattachicon.gif15-48h.gifattachicon.gif15-72h.gif

Friday, Saturday and Sunday midday charts. Pretty representative with the 528 dam line clearing the whole of the UK and plenty of instability for showers to form in bands but also will pepper windward coasts.

This is all before the easterly as well.

Not my post, but one that bears repeating.

• Like 1

Posted

Jusy gone absolutely crazy out there. Terrential rain and serious winds. Sounds worse than last night.

Now quiet as a mouse

Here to,thunder,hail,heavy sleet and terrible wind it's currently 2.7 any colder it will be snow!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Sunny days 25C Autumn/Spring: Rain and storms Winter:Snow

Yep sue Charles didn't like mentioning snow, it was for High ground. I'm sure all welsh forecasters are mild lovers! Derek especially.

They did mention a trough coming down from the north west on Friday night into Saturday morning, will be interesting to see if this delivers snow to more low lying areas as temperatures WILL be lower by then. However, looks like only high ground will get snow over the weekend, at least during the daytime.

post-10685-0-23878300-1421354791_thumb.j

Edited by soupsurfer7

Posted

Turning increasingly to snow here. I can see the flakes splattering against my window in an absolute howler of a gale.

• Like 1

Posted

Here to,thunder,hail,heavy sleet and terrible wind it's currently 2.7 any colder it will be snow!!!

It was not forecast to be this bad was it? Can't here the TV. Thought it was just a squall but it's still going strong.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Do any of you follow Derek on Twitter? If not you should do he is totally committed to Welsh weather.

• Like 1

Posted

Do any of you follow Derek on Twitter? If not you should do he is totally committed to Welsh weather.

I don't doubt his commitment to Welsh weather he constantly responds to people's queries and that is a credit to him!

Posted

It was not forecast to be this bad was it? Can't here the TV. Thought it was just a squall but it's still going strong.

it's turned to a westerly now and forecasters have said the wind would increase with the front

• Like 1

Posted

Still going strong here! Think my door is going to blow in! Bucketing down with sleet,just hope the ground isn't to wet if we have any snow! Is this in for the night?

Posted

Still going strong here! Think my door is going to blow in! Bucketing down with sleet,just hope the ground isn't to wet if we have any snow! Is this in for the night?

nope - it will lessen over the next hour or so - valleys actually caught in a long line of precip

• Like 1

Posted

National hero.

Let's hope we see him with his ruler ready for action measuring snow depth next week.

Posted

I think the reason many forecasters are indifferent at best to cold snowy weather is that it is very difficult to forecast compared with run of the mill weather, basically it makes their job extremely difficult.

Posted

it's turned to a westerly now and forecasters have said the wind would increase with the front

That explains it. West facing house. Nightmare in west/south westerlys.

Let's hope we're talking about diferent weather events pretty soon!

Posted

Temp has gone up now,that wet heavy snow lead to nothing couldn`t stick temps dropped to 1c now its 3.4c there was less cold air for a time tonight on the charts.