Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales - Weather Chat

Paul

Looking at the trend on the EURO4,

post-213-0-91696900-1419618854_thumb.gif post-213-0-92028600-1419618853_thumb.gif post-213-0-85987800-1419618852_thumb.gif post-213-0-23519900-1419618851_thumb.gif

post-213-0-28566100-1419618850_thumb.gif post-213-0-26689800-1419618849_thumb.gif post-213-0-35205600-1419618848_thumb.gif post-213-0-25742400-1419618847_thumb.gif

post-213-0-89576100-1419618909_thumb.gif post-213-0-93276200-1419618910_thumb.gif post-213-0-01734400-1419618912_thumb.gif post-213-0-82066300-1419618908_thumb.gif

post-213-0-66985100-1419618907_thumb.gif post-213-0-54469800-1419618906_thumb.gif post-213-0-37668500-1419618905_thumb.gif post-213-0-18623500-1419618904_thumb.gif  

It is trend was to take the front northwards and the snow risk northwards.

This had a double effect

1. To push the snow zone further north

2. To extend the warm sector further north.

Edited by J10
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Low now occluding along the W of Wales which is clearly shown by the radar developing a front along there..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Sunny days 25C Autumn/Spring: Rain and storms Winter:Snow

Hello everyone, good to be back on here again! Hope you're all having a great Christmas :-)

Currently cold rain here in Aberystwyth, very boring.

Posted

Still got heavy snow here in overton near wrexham and the A528 is now tricky as not seen a grittier pass yet and have about three inches on the road

Posted

It was a cold start here when the rain came. 4°C by mid afternoon rising to a balmy 10°C over 4 hours. In Haverfordwest similar sort of increase 6°C up to 11°C by mid afternoon.

Extremely windy now this evening.

Posted

Wow, wind has come from no where,hopefully temp will drop allowing us some snow,if not good luck guys if your having it and enjoy! Send some piccies!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Snow that turned to rain mid-afternoon now finally turning back to wet snow but sky looks broken and the radar only shows showers. Temp fallen to + 0.7

Posted

Still a wind here temps dropping ,gone from 6 to 3.4 ,so defo getting colder. Do I go to bed or lamp post watch??? ....mmmm,lamp post watch me thinks!

Posted

Still a wind here temps dropping ,gone from 6 to 3.4 ,so defo getting colder. Do I go to bed or lamp post watch??? ....mmmm,lamp post watch me thinks!

Nothing much on the radar Whiskers atm you need plenty of coffee lol

Posted

Nothing much on the radar Whiskers atm you need plenty of coffee lol

Perhaps bed it is,I have had 3 cans, one more I will be seeing snow!!

Posted

Perhaps bed it is,I have had 3 cans, one more I will be seeing snow!!

A  spell  of wintry showers should be crossing Wales around breakfast time tommorow so we may well have a dusting of snow tommorow.

• Like 1

Posted

Forgive my despondency and negativity, but almost a third of the meteorological winter has now passed by without a significant snow event for most of us and it's safe to say that, bar a few sleety showers tomorrow, the rest of the month is a write-off and with milder, unsettled weather set to return in the New Year. Before we know it it'll be late March with longer, warmer days which will be a welcome relief if this winter continues on its current path.

The last comparable cluster of cold winters prior to 2008/9-2012/13 were 1977/8-1981/2 and during those four-and-a-bit year there were two major blizzards from which Southwestern Britain bore the brunt (Feb 78 and Jan 82), that's not to mention the generally very snowy winter of 1978/9 and the equally snowy December '81.

Despite the cluster of cold winters in recent years, what have we in South Wales (and more particularly our friends in Southwest England) had to show for it? A couple of moderate falls of snow and one admittedly very decent fall, IMBY at least, in December 2010. We even missed out on any meaningful snow in March 2013, the "coldest since 1962", during which North Wales was absolutely buried.

Thank you, St. Scumbag the Saint of Snow.

Edited by Jackfrost

Posted
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed, South East Wales Valleys, 190m Asl
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Ice, Frost, Thunderstorms, Gales
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed, South East Wales Valleys, 190m Asl

Forgive my despondency and negativity, but almost a third of the meteorological winter has now passed by without a significant snow event for most of us and it's safe to say that, bar a few sleety showers tomorrow, the rest of the month is a write-off and with milder, unsettled weather set to return in the New Year. Before we know it it'll be late March with longer, warmer days which will be a welcome relief if this winter continues on its current path.

The last comparable cluster of cold winters prior to 2008/9-2012/13 were 1977/8-1981/2 and during those four-and-a-bit year there were two major blizzards from which Southwestern Britain bore the brunt (Feb 78 and Jan 82), that's not to mention the generally very snowy winter of 1978/9 and the equally snowy December '81.

Despite the cluster of cold winters in recent years, what have we in South Wales (and more particularly our friends in Southwest England) had to show for it? A couple of moderate falls of snow and one admittedly very decent fall, IMBY at least, in December 2010. We even missed out on any meaningful snow in March 2013, the "coldest since 1962", during which North Wales was absolutely buried.

Exactly my despondent point of view yesterday. One third of Winter has already passed us by and a couple of weeks coming up with no snow and we will be half way through winter with little chance of a decent cold breakout. At the end of the day we are an island and all our dreams of a cold snowy Winter seem to be that - a dream.

South Wales is badly positioned along with our suffering South West England friends - we are right next to the Atlantic which for us is the winter killer.

Lets hope at some stage dreams come true, but they are not for the foreseeable ..... :wallbash:

JK

Edited by CRACKPOT
  • Like 1

Posted

Forgive my despondency and negativity, but almost a third of the meteorological winter has now passed by without a significant snow event for most of us and it's safe to say that, bar a few sleety showers tomorrow, the rest of the month is a write-off and with milder,

From my long memory, I rarely recall snow falling much before the turn of the New Year. Christmas was usually grey and miserable.  Maybe someone with some more scientist evidence than 50+ years of memory can support thsi but there is still the lions share of winter left and plenty of time for it to roar!

Posted

From my long memory, I rarely recall snow falling much before the turn of the New Year. Christmas was usually grey and miserable.  Maybe someone with some more scientist evidence than 50+ years of memory can support thsi but there is still the lions share of winter left and plenty of time for it to roar!

That's true until recent years/decades 90`s snow seems to of come more around Christmas,december has turned out the best winter month for some reason.

The 70`s 80`s were Christmas snow free besides one 1981 and then of course 1979 new years eve.

Edited by Snowyowl9
  • Like 1

Exactly my despondent point of view yesterday. One third of Winter has already passed us by and a couple of weeks coming up with no snow and we will be half way through winter with little chance of a decent cold breakout. At the end of the day we are an island and all our dreams of a cold snowy Winter seem to be that - a dream.

South Wales is badly positioned along with our suffering South West England friends - we are right next to the Atlantic which for us is the winter killer.

Lets hope at some stage dreams come true, but they are not for the foreseeable ..... :wallbash:

JK

What about January 2013, that was more than decent.

But it comes in cycles in past years, South Wales has done as well as Northern England and certainly far better than all of Southern England.

For this period I mean the mid 2000s, where on Net Weather we were discussing snowfall in South Wales and not in other parts of the UK.

Looking at my stats - considering that many parts of Wales would do better than this anyway.

Days of Snow Falling Lying days of Snow Met Office Snow Days2008-09                   11                 12                    82009-10                   23                 28                   212010-11                    9                 13                   112012-13                   22                 12                   10

In terms of snow fall

The snowiest month in the past 16 years has been February, closely followed by January and then December.

In the past 18 years, of the 8 years in which there has been no major snow event up to December. 5 have seen Met Office Snow days later in the winter.

Sorry to rant but needed to add some realism to the conversation.

Edited by J10