Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Continuing the theme here too. Not sure I would call it foggy but it's certainly damp, grey and quite misty, with temperatures on my way to work around 5-6C. Forecast for the next few days looks like plenty of cloud and light rain, which is what ends to happen around here when you get an Eastery/South Easterly and it isn't cold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Continuing the theme here too. Not sure I would call it foggy but it's certainly damp, grey and quite misty, with temperatures on my way to work around 5-6C. Forecast for the next few days looks like plenty of cloud and light rain, which is what ends to happen around here when you get an Eastery/South Easterly and it isn't cold.

Looks like we'll have a bit of a change in the not too distant future though as low pressure from the northwest runs into the Azores High, sending colder uppers and some precipitation our way:

gfs-0-114.png?6

Still a bit to go yet but upper air temperatures have upgraded and now look like they could potentially sustain some low ground snowfall on Monday night into Tuesday morning:

120-7PUK.GIF?27-6

DP and temperature look quite good:

120-101PUK.GIF?27-6 120-778PUK.GIF?27-6

Precipitation difficult to call at this stage but there looks to be some about,moreso for the west but at least some should make it east:

114-779PUK.GIF?27-6 120-779PUK.GIF?27-6 126-779PUK.GIF?27-6

Things turn a bit miler after that courtesy of the Azores High but it isn't going to get too mild as we're either going to see more Polar Maritime incursions like the one above or colder, frostier spells if the high manages to ridge a bit further north.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Glad the forecast is out and a good reception so far and really positive feedback on that thread, much appreciated. Over to Winter now to see what nature delivers !

lift and shift of a useful chart spotted by Nouska from tonights model threads.

GFS Parallel has Hauter de Neige ( Snaw)

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs-para/royaume-uni/hauteur-neige/3h.htm

showing some cover for the NW in the near - mid range, Fergieweather mentioned potential for blizzards if we get any decent convection from SSts - all good !

• Like 4

Posted

Dark misty day here with some spits of rain.   Currently 5c and very misty.

Ploughing finished today, garden nearly all dug and neep pit covered in loose straw .All we need is the snow now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Glad the forecast is out and a good reception so far and really positive feedback on that thread, much appreciated. Over to Winter now to see what nature delivers !

lift and shift of a useful chart spotted by Nouska from tonights model threads.

GFS Parallel has Hauter de Neige ( Snaw)

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs-para/royaume-uni/hauteur-neige/3h.htm

showing some cover for the NW in the near - mid range, Fergieweather mentioned potential for blizzards if we get any decent convection from SSts - all good !

Incredibly, for a WNWerly setup, we nearly get some Haute De Neige sur la cote du Fife:

102-779PUK.GIF?27-18

You can certainly see some CAPE to the northwest, so it'll be interesting to see the skew-ts for it - if we do get some beefy, thundery showers it could make for an interesting night for many of us:

102-505UK.GIF?27-18

Edited by LomondSnowstorm
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Back to 9C at 7am this morning, lots of grey low cloud and rain, some of it very heavy on the way to work just after 8am. Let's hope next weeks lower temperatures hang around as I'm fed up with this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Not as foggy here this morning but very cloudy. 7.3c at the moment and predicted to rise to 9c by mid-day where it should remain, without altering, until at least Sunday! Bit chillier and fresher next week hopefully, as this is like watching paint dry!

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Mountain forecast is not predicting any significant cold. To be honest looking at the charts I agree not much is happening for the next fortnight other than seasonal average temperatures:

Planning Outlook

All mountain areas of Britain from Saturday, 29 November, 2014

This weekend; areas of low or very low cloud, but south from about the Scottish Borders, the mountains may well be above

fog and murk. Blustery Scottish Highlands.

Temporarily colder with snow showers, mainly W Scotland early next week, after a rain bearing front moves southeast across

the country. But for most of the week, rain rare England and Wales, light winds and hills often cloud free. In Scotland,

increasingly windy northwards and although frequently dry, rain from time to time, mainly NW Highlands.

The expectation over the next 10 days of significant cold weather and snowfall is very low.

Might have to wait a bit longer for winter guys.

Mountain forecast is not predicting any significant cold. To be honest looking at the charts I agree not much is happening for the next fortnight other than seasonal average temperatures:

Planning Outlook

All mountain areas of Britain from Saturday, 29 November, 2014

This weekend; areas of low or very low cloud, but south from about the Scottish Borders, the mountains may well be above

fog and murk. Blustery Scottish Highlands.

Temporarily colder with snow showers, mainly W Scotland early next week, after a rain bearing front moves southeast across

the country. But for most of the week, rain rare England and Wales, light winds and hills often cloud free. In Scotland,

increasingly windy northwards and although frequently dry, rain from time to time, mainly NW Highlands.

The expectation over the next 10 days of significant cold weather and snowfall is very low.

Might have to wait a bit longer for winter guys.

A couple of brief topplers on the ECM and GFS but nothing which shouts winter.

Hints of something colder at the extreme depth of the end of the GFS run, pinch of salt already taken.

A couple of brief topplers on the ECM and GFS but nothing which shouts winter.

Hints of something colder at the extreme depth of the end of the GFS run, pinch of salt already taken.

Big sniffs of winter on the 12z ECM. Too much chopping and changing to be sure of anything though.

Posted

Morning all,

Another dull and dreich day. At least for those of us on the east coast things should start to pick up from tomorrow as we lose the SEly flow. November has been very short on sunshine for East coasties with only 37 hours at Leuchars and a meagre 29 hours at Aberdeen.

Next week looks much brighter, nothing particularly cold but pretty typical early December weather. Perhaps I'll see my first air frost on Tuesday night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Steady fall of in temp profiles heading into December, whilst I love a good Windstorm roaring through ( not to the degree of last year's mess) there is something of a traditional feel to this as we enter November > December.

UK looking nice and cold on the min temps projection. Scrapers at the ready..

post-7292-0-80839800-1417258959_thumb.gi

• Like 2

Steady fall of in temp profiles heading into December, whilst I love a good Windstorm roaring through ( not to the degree of last year's mess) there is something of a traditional feel to this as we enter November > December.

UK looking nice and cold on the min temps projection. Scrapers at the ready..

attachicon.gif144-580PUK.gif

The last few months have had a nice steady feel to the weather, for me each month since August has had the weather a month "should" have. A proper Ronseal feel to the weather.

Posted

Sooner these fronts come in and clear the air the better. Not a week that will go down in vintage weather history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: long snowy winters, fresh spring, balmy summers, and cool crispy autumns

Dull dreich drab. Hopefully two days in greece at a new car launch shud lift my spirits. Or all the free booze certainly will... plenty ouzo to lift the gloomy glenrothes slump am in...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Yet to see a frost with my own eyes, better hurry up I'm getting bored of this dull, misty weather. The fog is only relevant when its -10C!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

At last! Seems like forever since we had a sky like this. 

7.2c

post-1989-0-58187600-1417342814_thumb.jp

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 2

Posted

Much more like it! Blue skies and sunshine for the first time in a week. 8c in a very light westerly breeze.

Edit: snap, Blitzen!

Edited by Hawesy
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Beautiful day today, gloriously sunny :)

I do wonder how many members of the MOD got through last winter....

Yes, no serious cold is shown but it looks 'set' for anytime after mid-December.

As well as that, we have 'faux' cold predicted.

Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday all have predicted maxes of a very chilly 4c for Dumfries and Stirling also has 4c predicted on two of the days out of the next 5.

Average for December being about 7c (I haven't checked recently). So that's 3/4, below average, a far cry from the sub tropical Atlantic air carrying wind and rain of last year

Edited by SW Saltire

Posted

Well that's November gone.2c warmer than last year and no air frost! Let's agree it was just an extended October.Hopefully things cool down.This could be a very late start for the ski centres.It will be at least 10 days for the base to get built as the hills are bare.So realistically it could be January before it gets going at all.Yes the sun is shining but it's still mild and I want some cold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Well that's November gone.2c warmer than last year and no air frost! Let's agree it was just an extended October.Hopefully things cool down.This could be a very late start for the ski centres.It will be at least 10 days for the base to get built as the hills are bare.So realistically it could be January before it gets going at all.Yes the sun is shining but it's still mild and I want some cold.

It is true to say that nights during November were not cold. However, I recorded quite a few days daytime maxes which were sub 7c. Loads more than in the whole of December 2013.

It's also been noted by (I think it was this poster) LS in another thread, that colder than average Novembers have a correlation to a warmer than average winter period.

Really winter is mid December to mid March. However, I'd prefer if my birthday (14th of December) was cold and snowy and certainly Christmas time but unfortunately, more often than not, this isn't the case - even in a colder than average winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Cracking day here after what seems like weeks of dull, crappy misty and damp weather. An overdue change from either cool and wet or mild and wet with winds from the South East.

Beautiful sunset had loads of photographers down at Riverside this afternoon.

Edited by Norrance

It is true to say that nights during November were not cold. However, I recorded quite a few days daytime maxes which were sub 7c. Loads more than in the whole of December 2013.

It's also been noted by (I think it was this poster) LS in another thread, that colder than average Novembers have a correlation to a warmer than average winter period.

Really winter is mid December to mid March. However, I'd prefer if my birthday (14th of December) was cold and snowy and certainly Christmas time but unfortunately, more often than not, this isn't the case - even in a colder than average winter.

It's been common in 2014 for the minima to be high, seems to be a theme.

Spot on about winter, I'd go as far as to count proper winter as solstice to equinox, but I like your thinking :D

N13: There should be a lot of snow at altitude if the ECM comes off as currently shown, although with the amount of chopping and changing going on recently that's not certain yet.

Edited by CatchMyDrift