Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

In contrast to Ross's great photos of sunshine and snow, it's dull, damp and dreich here in NE Fife today. Just 6c so feeling chilly too.

Posted

The cloud continues a pace with the difference today being we had drizzle earlier. Might be the same tomorrow before hopefully cheering up a bit by wednesday (although how long it will last who knows)

Posted

Eclipse prediction anybody ? 

Our high pressure by Friday is modelled by ECM/GFS/MO etc to be centred a few 100 miles WSW of Ireland which allows low pressure to slip across Central Europe over the weekend. A general low level cloud/clag is modelled over Scotland at 9.30 am on 20th March but many places should get a break to see the sun. There's even a possibility that inversion conditions might set up, with some spectacular mountain top viewing of the eclipse above a sea of cloud for early starters.

As of today's GFS 0Z run, a break in the cloud is modelled for eastern/south-eastern areas with Fife/Lothian/Borders expected to be best ... http://modeles2.meteociel.fr/modeles_gfs/runs/2015031700/81-562UK.GIF?17-0 

• Like 5

Eclipse prediction anybody ? 

Our high pressure by Friday is modelled by ECM/GFS/MO etc to be centred a few 100 miles WSW of Ireland which allows low pressure to slip across Central Europe over the weekend. A general low level cloud/clag is modelled over Scotland at 9.30 am on 20th March but many places should get a break to see the sun. There's even a possibility that inversion conditions might set up, with some spectacular mountain top viewing of the eclipse above a sea of cloud for early starters.

As of today's GFS 0Z run, a break in the cloud is modelled for eastern/south-eastern areas with Fife/Lothian/Borders expected to be best ... http://modeles2.meteociel.fr/modeles_gfs/runs/2015031700/81-562UK.GIF?17-0 

Fingers crossed on that prediction for the SE. I'm not working until 2pm on Friday so will be able to get out somewhere to make the most of being able to see the eclipse. Obviously without looking straight at it (eyesight? who needs eyesight?).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Oooohh, Red alert from Aurora Watch.... Looks Outside.... Foggy.... Typical !

• Like 4

Posted

Horrible day in NE Fife, cool with low cloud and haar. Bring back the sunny days of winter!

• Like 2

Posted

Aye, praying it might lift later on.

Just stood in the back garden. Still misty at ground level but looking straight up I could see stars, nothing Aurora-like though.

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Very dull and misty yesterday with some drizzle in the afternoon in Edinburgh. Misty start this morning too but the sun was already trying to break through in Grangemouth at 8am. Just reached Edinburgh and although visibility isn't great, the sun is out. Temperature was between 4.9C and 5.2 from 11pm last night to 8am this morning

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

15c, with a rather alcoholic smell. Chance of nausea returning later with some strong winds forecast to intermittently obliterate all cognitive function and make the earth rotate ten times faster than normal.

Hopefully, it will stay dry but I can't guarantee there will be no precipitation. It's not a pretty sight....

Oh, the weather conditions outside? If I were to open the curtains, I'd say 9c, partly cloudy with sunshine expected later.

Hope you all have the luck of the Irish today ;)

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 3

Posted

Pleasant morning here, blue skies and sunny but with some mist hanging around too, especially early on. Still a chill to the air but very calm.

Well no Aurora sighting for me, still never seen it. I wonder what our chances are of seeing the eclipse on Friday morning? Never seen one of those either yet.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Well blow me, hasn't the weather been rather fabby these past few days? Wall to wall sunshine, but sadly, change on the way tomorrow and I doubt we'll see too much of the eclipse on Friday. Aurora was amazing up here last night, but I live on the wrong side of the island so we saw hee haw up here. Ach well, at least we've had the sun so I'm not complaining!

• Like 2

Posted

Nice day again.Fine day for barley seed dressing no wind, warm sunshine and bone dry ground.  A pleasure to be outside.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Daily Record are giving away Eclipse Glasses on the front of their Thursday issue

not sure if that is only in Morrisons

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/special-features/promotions/free-eclipse-safety-glasses-thursdays-5350951

Posted

Weather station says it got up to 15.2C yesterday morning in the sun before it clouded over at lunchtime and dropped to around 12C for the afternoon.

Skies cleared last night and the sky looked a slightly different colour to normal. Because of light pollution, you can't really see the aurora properly but the sky did look tovhave a slight shade of purple and green. Might just have been my imagination.

Last night the temperature dropped to -1.0C. Sunny start today with a temperature of 1.7C at half7 but expected to cloud over late in the day as the weather front approaches that will spoil the partial solar eclipse sighting for most of us. Although there is the chance of some breaks in the cloud in the east and so I'll be getting up to go to university early tomorrow. I'm actually taking part in a nationwide experiment organised by Reading university where we will take weather observations for the hour before, during and the hour after the eclipse to see how it affects the weather.

• Like 1

Posted

Nice morning, bit hazy start, seen a wasp yesterday so temps must be at that point for them to come out. Looking at tomorrow it looks cack for the eclipse view-ability. 

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Great shot by a worker on the new bridge. .

post-12319-0-66097000-1426768471_thumb.j

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Radar's gone off on one again, showing patchy rain in the north while the stone road's still blowing dust and the dried mud in the yard is still pale.  If this cloud cover maintains, the eclipse will be a complete non-event.

Posted

Pleasantly surprised that it's a bright, sunny start in Grangemouth. Some patchy cloud but not the sheet that was forecast. Having said that there does look to be thicker cloud to the Northwest which may ingulf most central areas for the eclipse. The east still looks the favoured part of Scotland so I'm hopeful in seeing it in Edinburgh.

Posted

Morning all,

Fair skies with patches of blue this morning so a chance to see the eclipse in NE Fife. 7c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Frost and Thunderstorms

Saw the sun come up through breaks in the cloud but now the skies are just grey all round.