Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

Yup zero here and Irvine lot confirmed nothing also ! Got a few showers at pints but never stuck ! It's not over yet still a good few weeks of winter . However we have had no lying snow here since feb 2010 ! 5 years !!!!!!!!

Girvan (near Stranraer) which is near you has also seen zero snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Does anyone else think these maps are ridiculous? How are you supposed to read this properly? Lol

I was thinking the same thing myself.

Differing layers of colour would help.

• Like 1

Posted

Yup zero here and Irvine lot confirmed nothing also ! Got a few showers at pints but never stuck ! It's not over yet still a good few weeks of winter . However we have had no lying snow here since feb 2010 ! 5 years !!!!!!!!

Ouch, and I thought Dec 2010 was bad enough in terms of the wait for lying snow. Will be keeping my fingers crossed for you this week.

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Had a fair amount of melt yesterday but there's been a lot of melt overnight. Now only ice/slush left on sheltered paths and the road out my back. From what I have seen the temperature has been hovering about 3C since half 3 yesterday afternoon, but I haven't seen the dew point go below -2C. Mixture of sun and cloud this morning and dry.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Bizzarely, it's snowing here this morning, although not sticking. Wierd because it's not supposed to be able to snow on the coast with 850 T>-7.  Which kinda bodes well for later when it will get a lot colder, and this lot is heading south too...

• Like 2

Posted

Yeah - noticed that - they've updated it from earlier - Stirling wasn't included before, and now the area is..

Posted

Anyone else spot the odd extension to the snow warnings for today into tomorrow to cover the Central belt and Western side of East lothian?

Just saw that. Think I'm right on the black line. Hoping to get something!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Anyone else spot the odd extension to the snow warnings for today into tomorrow to cover the Central belt and Western side of East lothian?

That's the silliest one I've seen yet.

So, snaw Dalkeith tae Pathhead but eases off by Fala. Nothing at near 400 m asl Soutra summit, but back on again following descent to Lauder.

It's a snaw inversion.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny

My weather station on one of its mad temperature rises in the small bit exposed to the low sun. Its risen about 1C in the last 5 minutes up to 5.7C but dew point still below -2C so the humidity is 57%

Posted

Girvan (near Stranraer) which is near you has also seen zero snow.

I'm hearing more and more the phrase North and East for snow so I think we've (the weedgies) probably had our snowfest for now at least, maybe Monday/Tuesday there's a potential little low going to skirt down the West but too far away yet to pin down its track. Aberdeen and co might be your turn now!

Aka gavs forecast:

Temperatures could stay around freezing all day. It looks like a little low pressure system will bring heavy snow to the north and west on Tuesday.

Edited by grifter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Who's drawing the weather warnings today, Picasso?

• Like 2

Posted

Stirling temp is around 4c just now, interestingly though, DP is dropping away quite quickly, currently below freezing.

Who's drawing the weather warnings today, Picasso?

Drop the cao and that's what they're taking. This current system doesn't work very well, it's visually confusing as already pointed out in this thread earlier today. It would also be useful if the map was more detailed, perhaps including a system which would only highlight ground above 200m (for example), if a snow warning was only for ground above 200m. It's too oversimplified which can make it confusing, sometimes less is not more, it's less after all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

As much as those who don't have snow would love to trade places with me, you don't have to endure the horrible sight that is melting snow.

Drip... Drip.... Drip

The only saving grace is that fierce northerly wind keeping things cool. It died down about 8pm last night and I could hear the water falling off all the roofs... Thankfully it had fired up by 11pm and stopped the melt.

Currently 4.8c and very sunny. Feeling warm in shelter with the sun but cold in the shade with the wind.

We have lost 15% cover now although fields are still gloriously white, particularly on North facing fields (still a good 5/6 inches in places but barely half an inch of ice on south facing fields)

Edit: a hideous green colour can now be seen on south acing fields (I feel nauseous)

I hope we get some more snow soon but I can't complain really :)

Edited by SW Saltire

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Little bit of snow through the rain in that last shower here in Aberdeen.

Pretty much all falling as snow out this way now. Fairly frequent showers but not lasting long and really struggling to lie on the wet ground.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

Another update to the snow warnings, now thinking frosty might be behind all this!

Posted

Met O now got yellow warning for snow extending across SW West Central and central belt...ssgoinon? I'll defo be taking this warning with a big pinch of grit!

Sleet and snow showers will continue to affect many area during Saturday and into Sunday. These will be most frequent across northern and Western Scotland, Northern Ireland, West Wales and Devon and Cornwall. Other areas will be largely dry until a more organised area of light snow moves southwards during the early hours of Sunday morning. Accumulations of 1-2 cm are possible, with perhaps 5 cm on some high ground, mainly in the north and west. Icy patches are likely. Strong winds will also gust to around 60 mph along exposed northern and western coasts. 
Edited by grifter
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Strictly seasonal

Here on the coast we have had squally wet snow showers all day so far. These showers have turned more from rain/sleet to wet snow which is encouraging for he collies

. I can see the other side of the A9 and to the Black Isle in the opposite direction and where there is more elevation and the snow has settled, but I am very disappointed that this seems to be such a marginal set-up. Frankly, I have seen more settling snow in April from the current direction (which is still with a westerly bias) than we are currently experiencing. I just wonder how the media and Met Office would react to a 1947 or 1963 scenario!

Sorry -typo - I meant to say "coldies"!

• Like 2

Here on the coast we have had squally wet snow showers all day so far. These showers have turned more from rain/sleet to wet snow which is encouraging for he collies

. I can see the other side of the A9 and to the Black Isle in the opposite direction and where there is more elevation and the snow has settled, but I am very disappointed that this seems to be such a marginal set-up. Frankly, I have seen more settling snow in April from the current direction (which is still with a westerly bias) than we are currently experiencing. I just wonder how the media and Met Office would react to a 1947 or 1963 scenario!

Sorry -typo - I meant to say "coldies"!

There wouldn't be enough red pixels for a 1947 or 1963 :)

It should become less and less marginal over the weekend and into next week, today was always forecast to be marginal at least for the more coastal and lower laying areas.

Posted

I thought we had snaw-loving dogs there for a minute! :laugh:

Mind you don't most dogs love palying in the snow?

Posted

Met O now got yellow warning for snow extending across SW West Central and central belt...ssgoinon? I'll defo be taking this warning with a big pinch of grit!

It's probably more of a warning for ice rather than snow as I dont think its likely snow showers will make it across the Grampians. The only reason for such a widespread warning for snow is perhaps a small possibility of a polar low making an appearance.