Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Just under -3'C here with dew point a touch lower, hoping for snow rather than sleet when that band of precipitation arrives tonight.

• Like 1

Posted

No, they all fizzled out. There's about 4cm widely on the Black Isle away from the coasts.

That's strange, are you on the east of the Black Isle? Some of them were particularly ferocious here and all of Inverness had a decent covering this morning, even the areas at sea level beside the shore.

GFS going for over 20cm here on Saturday, so you'll definitely get very much involved in that if it comes off!

Edited by NorthernRab

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Its snowing in the far north of Scotland. That's our next chance of snow if it makes it over the snow eating mountains.

Like fk it is. Cursed radar lies again. Can I borrow your mantle?

That's strange, are you on the east of the Black Isle? Some of them were particularly ferocious here and all of Inverness had a decent covering this morning, even the areas at sea level beside the shore.

GFS going for over 20cm here on Saturday, so you'll definitely get very much involved in that if it comes off!

Yeah but we're on the Ness which is even more coastal, almost maritime. Went up the hill behind here this afternoon and I see what you mean, everywhere else but the Ness is white!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

lol i expect to see such scenes on bbc breakfast tomorrow

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Hairy not on radar seen on traffic Scotland, but only in Sutherland and Wick area! Think yours will be on the way.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Its snowing in the far north of Scotland. That's our next chance of snow if it makes it over the snow eating mountains.

Our survey says..................................................... X

• Like 3

Posted

Hairy not on radar seen on traffic Scotland, but only in Sutherland and Wick area! Think yours will be on the way.

Yeah, it'll be liquid H2O when it gets here. Temps are forecast to rise rapidly over the next few hours.

• Like 1

Posted

Interesting that the GFS forecast for Tulloch Bridge is -1ºC WM.

Posted

Well they also said it would be rain on the west coast. Guess what its chucking bit down with snow outside Stranraer! Tomorrow is allegedly slightly milder but I am now not so sure.

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Temp/dew point is -2.8/-5.3C. Much colder than forecast with clear skies. If it's not snowing these type of nights are the next best thing. A couple of pictures of the snow now after the melting of today and there hasn't been much that has disappeared. I suspect a lot more will melt tomorrow though

post-18130-0-32675200-1422571636_thumb.j

post-18130-0-95914800-1422571648_thumb.j

Posted

The radar lies again. That band passed straight over and delivered nothing. Temp up 3C in the last 3 hours, now just shot up past 0C.

Posted

A bit of light snow here with fresh SW wind and temperature of 0.5c. Everything frozen hard earlier this evening.

Posted

That band between Inverness and Kingussie is really shifting. I calculated about 30 miles per hour. Seems to have suddenly woken up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

15013112_2918.gif 15013112_2918.gif

and consequently, while it will turn to snow as the Arctic air comes in behind, it doesn't look so great for the east coast (at this stage):

15013118_2918.gif

However, if it too corrects a bit further east, or manages to find some more cold air over Scandinavia that we could pull in, then it could turn out differently. Another possible interest comes on Monday night into Tuesday, when another secondary low is likely to develop somewhere near us and potentially bring in some frontal snow:

108-779UK.GIF?29-18

Aside from that interest for the Highlands and northeast in particular, and (more?) polar low formation possible on Tuesday as well:

gfs-13-102.png?18

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Well I noticed it as low as -1.7C earlier in the evening but up to 2.4C right now, which I'm sure is an earlier rise than forecast. Strangely though, unless I'm mistaken, the front coming down from the north seems to have passed over without dropping anything here. The east side of the front seems to only get active as it hits the hills. Western side looks a bit more interesting.

That band between Inverness and Kingussie is really shifting. I calculated about 30 miles per hour. Seems to have suddenly woken up.

I've been watching it, not sure it's worth staying up for all the way down here though? :)

Posted

Well the precipitation has arrived and its snow! (At least for now!)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Also, this is an interesting tool - all the runs from the GEFS in one easy table. This is the uppers for Fife:

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs_table.php?x=&y=&lat=56.23481781376518&lon=-2.9245283018867916&run=18&ext=fr&mode=0&sort=0

table_ghr1.png

Incredibly tomorrow's uppers could be the mildest for 8 days - looks like we might be heading for a proper beast from the east after the northerly is done...

• Like 5

Posted

I know Catch its a long shift. I would settle for a wee shower from it right now though. Traffic Scotland suggests its just past Dalwhinnie where it is actually snowing.

Posted

I've been watching it, not sure it's worth staying up for all the way down here though? :)

It's fizzled away a lot on the models compared to what was showing this morning, which is a lesson I really should learn - models tend to overestimate how much really makes it past the Cairngorms (this is partly reverse-psychology by the way, still time for it to make it over :acute: ).

It's running quite a bit ahead of schedule too even compared to the 18Zs, so while I was going to suggest going to bed then waking up early to watch the snizzle fall, maybe it'll just be back to plain old 'naw by then:

nmm_uk1-42-11-0.png?29-23

The one thing that does give me some hope from an IMBY perspective is that fronts from the north often revive themselves over the Forth, which I think is what the NMM tries to do above. Once or twice this has done enough to give a decent snowfall for the Lothians southwards so it might be the same this time.

Edited by LomondSnowstorm
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Also, this is an interesting tool - all the runs from the GEFS in one easy table. This is the uppers for Fife:

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs_table.php?x=&y=&lat=56.23481781376518&lon=-2.9245283018867916&run=18&ext=fr&mode=0&sort=0

Incredibly tomorrow's uppers could be the mildest for 8 days - looks like we might be heading for a proper beast from the east after the northerly is done...

It's been gathering pace on the modelling and as someone wrote in model thread, interesting to see we are gaining momentum toward easterly versus the models seeing a spectacular easterly then working to degrade it. Could turn into quite a notable Feb it that lands..

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Wow, quick look out the window before bed and it was snowing. Where'd that come from as I'd been in garden with dog 10mins earlier and it didn't look as if there was much cloud around. Rushed back out to measure it and can confirm that in places it is 2 flakes deep, but only where it's drifted!

• Like 7