Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Should probably say the temp here is also now below freezing and it's probably fair to call the snow heavy now as opposed to moderate.

• Like 4

Posted

Nothing here yet but reasonably confident of at least a covering later given the reports. Be good to see those of us who haven't had a covering yet this winter get something.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Same here with the usual proviso that it's not sticking quite at sea level, but given the intensity, you'd have to expect temp & dewpoint to fall sharply.  Big flakes, strong winds, cloud base right down.  Coastal areas may struggle all the way through today and tomorrow.

Any enquiries for the sn** bl**** yet?

Yes!   I have been told to shove it!! :laugh:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

No snow in Central Glasgow yet but there is a very heavy bout of hail passing through just now. 

Surprised it's snowed out in Paisley but not here yet.

Posted

Amber alert issued...

Snow showers will become widespread and heavier across Scotland, Northern Ireland and northern England during Wednesday evening and will continue through the night into Thursday morning. Snow amounts will be very variable but over 5 cm will accumulate at lower levels in places with over 15 cm on high ground. Strong and gusty winds will lead to drifting and blizzard conditions at times, especially over higher routes.The public should be prepared for travel disruption and hazardous driving conditions.

Edited  by GraemeB

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Heavy sleet/snow showers in Alloa that give a brief covering on the grass. Ochils look very impressive today fully loaded now with snow. looking forward to later on after 12pm maybe for some more of the same.

Posted

Amber warning!!

Just seen that, presumably for the impact this will have on rush hour later on? Won't be much rushing done today I wouldn't have thought...

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Have to say it's pretty benine at the moment. Will await the fun and games later. :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Should probably say the temp here is also now below freezing and it's probably fair to call the snow heavy now as opposed to moderate.

Yes, same here now - just starting to settle in the yard so if it's settling here, everywhere else will get a pasting!

I wonder how many schools will close early... and how the roads will fare...

Today's amber looks a lot more solid than the last one, as Lorenzo (I think?) said this looks like the real deal this time round. Some places are going to get un utter pasting in the next 24 hours. The 06z Euro4 should be out fairly soon which should pin it down a little more but anywhere could see a good dump of snow, except perhaps the far east (including Kelso which is strangely within the amber alert area?).

If you're planning a trip on the M74, M-8 or M-80 later on today, perhaps rearrange it? If this comes off as forecast it's going to be carnage on the roads in central Scotland so don't get stuck.

Edit, here we go:

post-2844-0-06696700-1422443828_thumb.gi

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

Surely they need to be looking at a red warning for the M 8 corridor for the rush hour ?

• Like 1

Posted

Catch My journey home is M74/M73/M80/M9....what are my chances? :oops:

Western coastal areas....sorry but your chances are slim, I wish I could be more positive but I'm not going to promise you a bucketload of snow when it's marginal at best :(

Catch My journey home is M74/M73/M80/M9....what are my chances? :oops:

Stock up on supplies before you set off...and fuel. It's probs not going to be the volume of snow that'll scupper you, it's other drivers having a panic attack at an inch of slush...

Posted

Is it not possible that the temperature will stay to high for central belt, and none of this will settle? I can't see it being cold enough for it to settle (other than higher spots) apart from a slushy mix on the grass....?

Posted

Lots of cloud to the west, cold, and windy but nothing heavy enough punching through yet to white the green. The Met Office automated feed has Moffat in a 10 hour slot from 3PM today with 80%-90% chance of heavy snow ppn. Wait and see I suppose. I was also interested to see their feed indicates a few hours of heavy snow is likely Thursday night into Friday. I think that'll be the marginal stuff though and might send any white back to green ...