Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer

It could well hit here judging by the radar and there seem to be a few other showers on a similar trajectory. It will be interesting to see what, if anything transpires,

agreed with the others to the south east this ones heading slightly north of the city and fading fast,wouldnt be surprised to see a dusting by morning nice dusting here now ..

Edited by drm

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

BBC are going for a brief mild blip on Friday morning. Then Late afternoon cold comes back. So if we have more snow by Friday we should hold onto it during the mild blip which could be 8 hours. This might end up being a 10\14 day cold spell.

• Like 3

Posted

I think Ireland is killing the band !! Not feeling hopeful it will reach us with glorious snow

Yup it does seem to be fizzling out over there. Ireland thread saying it's sleety and patchy.

Posted

BBC are going for a brief mild blip on Friday morning. Then Late afternoon cold comes back. So if we have more snow by Friday we should hold onto it during the mild blip which could be 8 hours. This might end up being a 10\14 day cold spell.

agreed with the others to the south east this ones heading slightly north of the city and fading fast,wouldnt be surprised to see a dusting by morning

It is snowing here lightly at the moment. It certainly appears to be cold enough if the webcam by the beach is anything to go by http://aberdeencity.gov.uk/xwc_Webcam.asp?cam=beach

Nice to sea snow at sea level from a slack flow off the North Sea.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer

It is snowing here lightly at the moment. It certainly appears to be cold enough if the webcam by the beach is anything to go by http://aberdeencity.gov.uk/xwc_Webcam.asp?cam=beach

Nice to sea snow at sea level from a slack flow off the North Sea.

the slack flow certainly works in our favour at these times im never a fan of a south east wind here in winter give me a north north east flow everytime. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Some wiper blades stay flexible in low temps - current VW blades (which cost an eye-watering amount) work in low temps. The previous owner had put Halfords blades on which were not so good. Also you pay for durability so maybe not a bad investment.

I thought I was going to be in trouble with freezing screenwash this morning cos the stuff in the bottle was Halfords pre-mixed crap but it stayed good as the temp dropped  post-4537-0-54372300-1421707462_thumb.jp

And these Nokian winters kept gripping all day :)   post-4537-0-48062900-1421707479_thumb.jp

My problem today was that the electric handbrake was reluctant to let go... :cc_confused:

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

My main concern for tomorrow isn't marginality but merely a lack of heavy precipitation around - 950s look fine for the most part when the front rolls in:

15012018_1918.gif  15012021_1918.gif 15012100_1918.gif

What doesn't look quite so grand are the precipitation totals away from East Ayrshire, which is on the verge of being marginal but with a bit of altitude could see a few inches. Elsewhere maybe 2 inches if you're lucky based on this, nothing for a lot of us:

15012021_1918.gif 15012100_1918.gif

and the front just sort of dies in situ:

15012106_1918.gif

I wouldn't rule out some more intense bursts within the main band, but equally there's a fair chance it will barely make it as far east as Glasgow.

Anyway, on the bright side there's an opportunity for Hawesy to get his first lying snow in Crail since 1963 2010 (or possibly 2013, although given how fleetingly it stuck around in Edinburgh I'm not sure it was then):

nmm_uk1-42-9-0.png?19-23

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Bloody screenwash froze the morn.

Was only -2 at the hoose, but I had to go over to Gala then up the A7. There it suddenly became -6C and that was it.

Canny get it fully defrosted now.

It's the problem with not having quite enough anti-freeze. If you don't have quite enough, you might not notice it has frozen as when ice starts to form, the remaining liquid becomes concentrated in anti-freeze (e.g. ethanol).

This is pumped onto the windscreen as it will sit at the bottom of the reservoir. All the while, what's left becomes increasingly pure water which you can't drain or get rid of through using the washers as it's frozen!

Would Madame SS mind if your car was parked in the kitchen for a while?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Is the cold potentially more entrenched than expected and thus going to perhaps last longer and see an easterly flow develop....that would be nice. ...certainly does not look like going to get the 3 or 4 cm I would happily settle for

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

We managed to get down to -7.6'C here earlier but the temp is back up to -3.8'C with a very cold dew point of -8'C. So although brief, coldest 'night' since 2013 here! Pity there's only a bit of snow and it wasn't more settled, could easily have been sub -10'C.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

-4.4c here. It was still above freezing this time last night. If it goes below -4.8, I will have broken my weather stations record minimum 3 nights in a row.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Going to be nowtforanyone by the looks of it

Posted

Just checked raintoday radar and thought I was looking at a cached image from last night! That front hasn't moved much!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Mornin' all! Well, that looks like the end of the snow and cold up here. It's 3.3c here with a light breeze and I'm not expecting any white stuff. It was nice while it lasted.

Posted

Morning all,

Currently -1c here in Crail, -4c at Leuchars. Looks like quiet but chilly weather the next few days in NE Fife. Not really expecting any precipitation.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

post-1989-0-04613900-1421742456_thumb.jp

In the pink this morning!  (not)   -1.4c/-2.1c.   What a let down!   Was expecting so much more this week.

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

Posted

Woke up to 2cm of fresh snow this morning...looking at the radar, it looks as though a heavy shower passed through around 5am. Nightmare journey into the city this morning...total gridlock in places.

Posted

It is now firmly looking like a non-event here now.

Why ?

The main front/s aren't expected until later on this afternoon...

Posted

Why ?

Was wondering that. Just watched the video on BBC Weather and Carol Kirkwood said snow is expected later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Why ?

Looking at the models like Euro4 it looks like the front doesnt really come across scotland today now. It looks like it might briefly cover parts of ayrshire but thats about it at best. :-/