Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

Thanks to today's clear weather this was taken a few hours ago today,

attachicon.gifsatimage.png

Reminds me of a similar picture taken during the deep freezes of winter 2009/2010 and December 2010.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

I'm impressed that the sheet of ice covering our car park at work has survived the day, although not completely unscathed, especially since it's been in the sun for most of the day. For Dyce that's quite unusual. A quick login to my Cam at home confirms that the grass in my back garden looks just as icy as it did this morning. Might have managed an 'ice day' there as Aboyne seems to have done (as long as you ignore the period between midnight and 3am).

• Like 1

Posted

Glasgow airport failed to get above 0c - impossible to tell if it got above 0.0C but I'll take that as the first ice day since December 2012. Absolutely freezing out there and very wintry looking with the snow cover - only some gritted streets/drive ways/pavements and some grass underneath trees aren't covered in snow. The snow is frozen with the depth up to 4cm. The GFS 12z appeared to be good for snow Tuesday night into Wednesday.

• Like 1

Posted

Got a nice bit of winter Sun today. It was warm in the face but that was about it, wasn't really having an effect on the surrounding temps.

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Apparently loch glascarnoch is already down to -12.8c

Edited by GrangemouthBairn
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

Baltic out there, currently -2.3C

Elsewhere currently,

Edinburgh Airport -2C

Glasgow Airport -4C

Leuchars 0C

Lossiemouth -2C

Inverness -4C

Prestwick -1C 

Dundee -2C 

:cold:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Apparently loch glascarnoch is already down to -12.8c

Was just looking into that, here is some of the 16:00 data.

post-7292-0-26568200-1421688798_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-96083800-1421688800_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-05571300-1421688803_thumb.pn

Station link from meteogroup / weathercast.  http://www.weathercast.co.uk/world-weather/weather-stations/obsid/3031.html

GFS drops further into the evening..

post-7292-0-66171000-1421688984_thumb.pn

Nice to see a 520d cold pool hovering over the North East, also NMM for tomorrow, fits nicely with current Meto warned area, just a guide as at this stage with a radar watch the order of the day for tracking progress in from the West. It's a lazy looking flow.

post-7292-0-52992900-1421689180_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-00733300-1421689106_thumb.pn

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Evening Peeps! Still cold and frosty here, temp has now risen to the tropical heights of -1.2c! Phew! Sweltering! Doesn't look like we'll see such cold temps again this week, but so long as it stays dry I'll be happy!

Edited by mistyqueen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

Was just looking into that, here is some of the 16:00 data.

attachicon.gifiles_britanniques_19_16.pngattachicon.gifLoch Glascarnoch temp chart.pngattachicon.gifLoch Glascarnoch.png

Station link from meteogroup / weathercast.  http://www.weathercast.co.uk/world-weather/weather-stations/obsid/3031.html

GFS drops further into the evening..

attachicon.gifviewimage.png

Nice to see a 520d cold pool hovering over the North East, also NMM for tomorrow, fits nicely with current Meto warned area, just a guide as at this stage with a radar watch the order of the day for tracking progress in from the West. It's a lazy looking flow.

attachicon.gifviewimage (2).pngattachicon.gifviewimage (1).png

Good link, but looking at it there's a total lack of stations in the central belt from a circle Stirling-Callander-Kilsyth-Falkirk-Dunfermline-Dunblane.  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Burnt Fish Google weather in Polmont. There is a station there that has fancy graphs and an almanac. Particularly good for checking averages over the years. Its about 200 ft below me so when it is snowing there I know I will get some.

Posted

Good link, but looking at it there's a total lack of stations in the central belt from a circle Stirling-Callander-Kilsyth-Falkirk-Dunfermline-Dunblane.

I'd also say there's a lack of stations in Angus, Argyll and Loch Alsh-Mull.

Posted

Some pictures from this morning near Kinbrace...

Looking west - the collapsing timber is (I think) the remains of old snow drift fencing for the railway attachicon.gifhills.jpg

Young stags all looking south, between the road and railway attachicon.gifstags.jpg

Looking way out west to the Sutherland hills over the railway line from just south of Kinbrace attachicon.giftrees&snow.jpg

Amazing pics HC. There has been a lot of quality pictures on this thread recently. Perhaps we could create a gallery for kilted thread members to upload images of winter weather or general Scottish scenery.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny

The lowest temperature ended up being -4.8 this morning just after I left at 8.

It's now -2.8 which is a lot lower than it was this time last night. The very strange situation here of the ground being either dry or white in the form of a slight covering of frozen snow. Usually there is some dampness somewhere but there isn't.

The STV forecast at 6.30 from Jo said "rain, sleet and snow" moving eastwards tomorrow whilst the Reporting Scotland forecast said "hill snow with some wintryness to low levels at times" tomorrow. I'm a little surprised at that considering that the charts which I've seen look good for snow to all levels except the far west.

Edited by GrangemouthBairn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever is happening but partial to a snow drift

-8C and very dry and starry, beautiful weather and night, the snow is glittering.  I really want to go back outside and star watch but it's too cauld!

• Like 1

Posted

The lowest temperature ended up being -4.8 this morning just after I left at 8.

It's now -2.8 which is a lot lower than it was this time last night. The very strange situation here of the ground being either dry or white in the form of a slight covering of frozen snow. Usually there is some dampness somewhere but there isn't.

The STV forecast at 6.30 from Jo said "rain, sleet and snow" moving eastwards tomorrow whilst the Reporting Scotland forecast said "hill snow with some wintryness to low levels at times" tomorrow. I'm a little surprised at that considering that the charts which I've seen look good for snow to all levels except the far west.

It's often the case that most TV forecasts are conservative about snowfalls with the emphasis of 'mostly on the ground' or 'maybe a little snow to some lower levels at times'. I suppose given the expertise of the Met Office, if they think there is a marginal element to tomorrow's event then we should keep that in mind but it my opinion most factors are pointing towards precipitation being snow - but the intensity, duration and location of the precipitation is up for debate.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

I'd also say there's a lack of stations in Angus, Argyll and Loch Alsh-Mull.

Hmm very few in the northern Highlands either but in this case possibly because there aren't many people :oops:

Winterwatch at 9 could be good with the sound off :p

(edit - jeez :fool:  )

We could start a gallery - or someone who knows how to do it could :unknw:

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Couple of amazing images from this blog http://alanhalewood.blogspot.co.uk/

Located via twitter and feed https://twitter.com/theiaincameron

post-7292-0-79887900-1421699382_thumb.jppost-7292-0-93993300-1421699385_thumb.jp

Scotland looking stunning.

Latest v6 for you Doc..

post-7292-0-65256200-1421699522_thumb.jp

• Like 9

Posted

Precip seems to be taking an age to get here, been hanging about in the West coast for about the last 2 hours - cmon ye muppet till if a see yer snaw! Think it's knocking boots with the cold air and canny make it's mind up where to go.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Bloody screenwash froze the morn.

Was only -2 at the hoose, but I had to go over to Gala then up the A7. There it suddenly became -6C and that was it.

Canny get it fully defrosted now.

It's the problem with not having quite enough anti-freeze. If you don't have quite enough, you might not notice it has frozen as when ice starts to form, the remaining liquid becomes concentrated in anti-freeze (e.g. ethanol).

This is pumped onto the windscreen as it will sit at the bottom of the reservoir. All the while, what's left becomes increasingly pure water which you can't drain or get rid of through using the washers as it's frozen!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer

I wonder what that precipitation out to the east is falling as, and I wonder where it is going.

finally that blob arrives very light snow not sure the main shower will hit Aberdeen fingers crossed temp-2.6 dp-4

Edited by drm
  • Like 1

Posted

Bloody screenwash froze the morn.

Was only -2 at the hoose, but I had to go over to Gala then up the A7. There it suddenly became -6C and that was it.

Canny get it fully defrosted now.

It's the problem with not having quite enough anti-freeze. If you don't have quite enough, you might not notice it has frozen as when ice starts to form, the remaining liquid becomes concentrated in anti-freeze (e.g. ethanol).

This is pumped onto the windscreen as it will sit at the bottom of the reservoir. All the while, what's left becomes increasingly pure water which you can't drain or get rid of through using the washers as it's frozen!

Same here. Frozen washer on drivers side, both wipers frozen in the arc of the lower windscreen (Depsite me ruffling them up before drive) so when they came up they just floated over the water and grit on the flatter upper section of screen. Also ten mins almost to get lock unfrozen this morning despite putting a load of oil in it the other day. Tip: lighter and heat key metal then progressively tease key in.

Edited by grifter
  • Like 4