Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

Exceptionally heavy sleet and rain here with very gusty winds.

What's happening up on the strath NorthernStrath?

Sorry NR I was down in inverness last night expertly crafting the quite stunning hangover which I've had today

Wee snow covering still around the garden, guessing it won't last further mildness tomorrow/Monday

Looking forward to see what weather the Christmas week brings

2C

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Here comes the rain again.  Stuck record weather this - cold and wet, mild and wet, cold and wet, mild and wet....

Lets try the CAPSLOCK trick again.

WHERE'S THE FRIGID NORTHERLY GOT TO?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

I wonder if Steve Murr white Christmas bet will come off, looks less likely now but surely still some chance. Gfs and its brother couldn't be more different on latest runs!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Looking less likely but still potential of showers in Inverness and a technical white xmas

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Nice to see the Highlands has more snow than the Alps so far this season  :D

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer.

Well we've made it........the shortest day of the year !! This is when winter really should start.

Unfortunately today looks very atlantic driven with fast moving clouds from the west.

I don't think this winter has been too bad in these parts we've had snow nearby at higher levels, plenty of hard frosts and some very stormy weather as well.

We could do with an easterly blast though to deliver some real cold and snow !!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

We are off to Skye on Monday. Cottage booked for a week over Christmas away from the rellies, inlaws and outlaws. Bit of snow on the Cuillins would be nice but not so much we can't get there - don't mind getting snowed in once we are there though  :smiliz64:  :drunk:

How's the forecast looking looking - too stressful to search through model threads?  :sorry:

Well, there's a dusting of snow on the Cuillins just now, although I suspect that today's rain could well wash it away! I believe it will be cold and frosty for the Big Day itself, so you should be able to get here OK. Right now the temp is 13.9, breezy and wet....a normal Skye winter's day really. Be nice to see some clear skies and sunshine though. Happy Yule to everyone! :w00t:  :drunk:  :cold:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Morning. 8.7c/8.1c/14mph/SW.   Damp and dreich about sums it up really.   Don't know about anyone else, but I am completely dizzy viewing the models!   Even at this stage of proceedings, we don't quite know yet what the festive weather will be.  To top it all, the GFS(P) comes out with a snow hurricane scenario for the possible storm around the 27th/28th.      Don't know what to make of this model really, to me it's like the old GFS on steroids.   Predictions are always extreme.   Think I will just keep an eye on the TV weather! :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Posted

The only good thing about today I suppose that it's not a cold rain (thankfully) but other than that it's horrible out there

Posted

Nice to see the Highlands has more snow than the Alps so far this season  :D

More freakin rain too.  Guess what the weather is this morning? Yes, more freakin rain. Looks like the rivers are well up with plenty of snow melt.

Middle aged cats have rediscovered their youth this morning by 'helping' with xmas decorations. One had a tree light bulb go pop in its mouth :smiliz57:

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 2

Posted

Breezy, mild but dry here back in NE Fife after an overnight in Embra. 10.2c with a strong west southwesterly wind. Again, we've avoided much of the rain, only 25mm here this month compared to over 150mm in places in the north and west of Scotland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,cold,frost,fog,wind,rain

Crappy rain and very windy. Jeez not another Christmas of this rubbish surely!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

I have been patient this year. But winter so far has been rubbish. I have had one day of proper lying snow and very few hard frosts. I hope January means winter can start.

Posted
I have been patient this year. But winter so far has been rubbish. I have had one day of proper lying snow and very few hard frosts. I hope January means winter can start.[

Your lucky . We've had no lying snow. Best we've had is a heavy sleet shower.

Posted

Foul day here to with rain all day.Temperature up to 9c at one point but back at 7c now.  Fields resemble lakes even here at the top of the hill. Oh for a nice frosty day to start drying all this water up.

• Like 1

Posted

Must be getting pretty saturated out there now. Been relentless heavy rain last few hours

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Yup my white Xmas bet not looking great....could do with a little trough appearing on the fax right over Inverness....still its gonna be very frosty which is 2nd best too snow on ground

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Tonight parallel wants to slam the northerly

post-7292-0-42132200-1419201208_thumb.pn

Not a million miles from where the ECM will have us at 00z

post-7292-0-61403400-1419201232_thumb.gi

This isn't exactly the epic fail things are made out to be...

post-7292-0-34223200-1419201318_thumb.pn

• Like 6

Posted

Yup my white Xmas bet not looking great....could do with a little trough appearing on the fax right over Inverness....still its gonna be very frosty which is 2nd best too snow on ground

Go baby trough, go... You can blame me because a few days ago I made the mistake of suggesting to a couple of folk that we were in with a shout for a white Xmas. Jinxed it of course, especially with Inverness airport being just across the firth from here.

Certainly the GFS ensembles have been showing what Lorenzo says, with the scatter of most plots going haywire after about the 27th, and have been doing so for the last while. Some further solutions give us mild, some give us cold, with everything in between.

• Like 1

8 hours and it's still teaming down

Still going strong several hours later NUT. I think the front is trailing a little...

post-2844-0-04690800-1419225204_thumb.gi

I think this chart sums up the model confusion quite nicely, the ECM and GFS have rather different outcomes for their 500hpa mean heights at 8 to 10 days away. This from yesterday's 00z:

post-2844-0-24637900-1419225414_thumb.gi

Even to an untrained eye (mine included) it is obvious that the models are "struggling" (what a clunky description!)  :)

Edit: This morning's ECM looks bizarre, the post Xmas low develops to the north of Scotland and then the low plunges south. It's hard to tell with the 24 hour jump between frames on Metociel but the centre of the low looks as if it has gone down the Irish Sea.

Edited by CatchMyDrift